Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Cisco 6500 have many interface you can use. And you can choose your Engine card for your network.

Just curious why is Cisco so much cheaper with the 6500 series" I thought Cisco was usually more expensive than Juniper.

Quote Originally Posted by ShaunH View Post
    Just curious why is Cisco so much cheaper with the 6500 series" I thought Cisco was usually more expensive than Juniper.
    The 6500 series was launched in 1999. Despite the age, they still work really well for some people. I'm sure the OP could easily get a used setup for under $30k. We've been real happy with Network Liquidators (now Vology). They are more expensive than other resellers but they offer a lifetime warranty (as long as Cisco still sells the product). They have been really good at getting us replacements within 24 hours the couple times we had stuff fail.

Quote Originally Posted by scooby2 View Post
    The 6500 series was launched in 1999. Despite the age, they still work really well for some people. I'm sure the OP could easily get a used setup for under $30k. We've been real happy with Network Liquidators (now Vology). They are more expensive than other resellers but they offer a lifetime warranty (as long as Cisco still sells the product). They have been really good at getting us replacements within 24 hours the couple times we had stuff fail.
    Thank for filling me in. I didn't know they had been out that long. But it dose make sense as it seems everyone uses the 6500 switches.

6500's have been used by so many people for so long that gear is all over the secondary market. Then, unlike Juniper, Cisco will gladly support and warranty any of that 2nd hand gear through their Smartnet program without recertification or anything. Makes it easy then to get cheap second hand gear while still being backed by quality support.
    Karl Zimmerman - Founder & CEO of Steadfast
    VMware Virtual Data Center Platform

karl @ steadfast.net - Sales/Support: 312-602-2689
    Cloud Hosting, Managed Dedicated Servers, Chicago Colocation, and New Jersey Colocation

Vista Computers has some insane deals on the 6500s.
    'Ripcord'ing is the only way!

The chassis itself will generally be cheap, but you'll want to get brand new power supplies and fan tray and a 720-3BXL if you want full routes.

Personally I'd go for the 6503-E chassis.
    Darren Lingham - Stablepoint Hosting
    Stablepoint - Cloud Web Hosting without compromise
    We provide industry-leading cPanel™ web hosting in 80+ global cities.

You don't want to waste a rack with a 6513-E? SHucks...
    'Ripcord'ing is the only way!

Quote Originally Posted by KarlZimmer View Post
    6500's have been used by so many people for so long that gear is all over the secondary market. Then, unlike Juniper, Cisco will gladly support and warranty any of that 2nd hand gear through their Smartnet program without recertification or anything. Makes it easy then to get cheap second hand gear while still being backed by quality support.
    How much does the smartnet program cost? I've considered buying used cisco gear in the past, but if I can't get updated firmware at a reasonable price it's really a deal breaker.
    IOFLOOD.com -- We Love Servers
    Phoenix, AZ Dedicated Servers in under an hour
    ★ Ryzen 9: 7950x3D ★ Dual E5-2680v4 Xeon ★
    Contact Us: sales@ioflood.com

Quote Originally Posted by boonchuan View Post
    I am using Mikrotek for a few years now, solid configurations beating those established brands by a mile in terms of ROI.
    How are you using a Mikrotek as a core router? I thought those $100 routers were either toys or used for wifi hot spots... not for core functions...BGP, etc.. does it even work?!?! I'm curious..

BGP, etc.. does it even work?!?! I'm curious..
    Yea, they do BGP (even v6).
    But this are the more expensive boards, basically PC hardware like Vyatta.

Quote Originally Posted by funkywizard View Post
    How much does the smartnet program cost? I've considered buying used cisco gear in the past, but if I can't get updated firmware at a reasonable price it's really a deal breaker.
    Runs between $6k and $7k a year last I checked.
    Karl Zimmerman - Founder & CEO of Steadfast
    VMware Virtual Data Center Platform

karl @ steadfast.net - Sales/Support: 312-602-2689
    Cloud Hosting, Managed Dedicated Servers, Chicago Colocation, and New Jersey Colocation

I got that configurations now, while they dont exactly match they are fine for our port needs but i am unsure about cmpatibility of the parts:

Code:
    1 	WS-C6506
    1 	WS-C6K-6SLOT-FAN2
    2 	WS-CAC-3000W
    1 	WS-SUP720-3BXL
    1	WS-SUP32-10GE-3B
    1	MEM-XCEF720-1GB
    1	MEM-MSFC3-1GB
    									    #INPUT: 2x1GF OUTPUT 2x10GF

1 	WS-C6506
    1 	WS-C6K-6SLOT-FAN2
    2 	WS-CAC-3000W
    1	WS-X6704-10GE
    1	WS-SUP32-10GE-3B
    1	MEM-XCEF720-1GB
    1	MEM-MSFC3-1GB
    									    #INPUT:2x10G OUTPUT: 4x10G

1	WS-C6504-E
    1	FAN-MOD-4HS
    2	PWR-2700-AC/4
    1	VS-S720-10G-3CXL
    1	WS-X6704-10GE
    									#INPUT: 2x10GF 1x1GE 2x1GX OUTPUT: 4x10G
    In case of 10G outputs i would just add a 2x10G -> 24x1G switche.

I honestly have no idea about cisco, so please advise me if above configurations are good

I would highly recommend you talk to a cisco sales rep

Taking advise on here is good and all, however if you get it wrong it could cost you a fair bit.
    Live Chat Support Software for your Business website - IMsupporting.com

Well of course i will not set it up but pay someone to do it and take care of it, this is just the first stage of finding compatible hardware

Quote Originally Posted by Zhang View Post
    I got that configurations now, while they dont exactly match they are fine for our port needs but i am unsure about cmpatibility of the parts:

Code:
    1 	WS-C6506
    1 	WS-C6K-6SLOT-FAN2
    2 	WS-CAC-3000W
    1 	WS-SUP720-3BXL
    1	WS-SUP32-10GE-3B
    1	MEM-XCEF720-1GB
    1	MEM-MSFC3-1GB
    									    #INPUT: 2x1GF OUTPUT 2x10GF
    You won't be able to run a SUP720-3BXL and a SUP32-10GE-3B in the same chassis. If you want 10gig, buy a 6704 or 6708 line card.

Code:
    1 	WS-C6506
    1 	WS-C6K-6SLOT-FAN2
    2 	WS-CAC-3000W
    1	WS-X6704-10GE
    1	WS-SUP32-10GE-3B
    1	MEM-XCEF720-1GB
    1	MEM-MSFC3-1GB
    									    #INPUT:2x10G OUTPUT: 4x10G
    Your earlier requirements stated enough route capacity for a full IPv4 routing table. You won't be able to do that with a sup32... need the sup720-3BXL.

Also, if you are planning to do a lot of 10gig, this configuration would probably be better with a 6708 line card. Always try to avoid the 6704 line card if possible due to the small port buffers.

Code:
    1	WS-C6504-E
    1	FAN-MOD-4HS
    2	PWR-2700-AC/4
    1	VS-S720-10G-3CXL
    1	WS-X6704-10GE
    									#INPUT: 2x10GF 1x1GE 2x1GX OUTPUT: 4x10G
    A workable solution but again.. if you plan to deploy more 10gig in the future try to buy the 6708 line card up front w/ DFC and avoid the much smaller port buffers on the 6704 card.

As someone mentioned, talk to a Cisco Sales Rep before you spend any money getting hardware and even when you are looking for hardware.

They will be more knowledgeable about the capabilities of their hardware(most of the time). It will generally be much faster in a way of a response as well since you won't be going back and forth.
    Dan Sheppard ~ Freelance whatever

Quote Originally Posted by Visbits View Post
    You don't want to waste a rack with a 6513-E? SHucks...
    The 6513-E chassis won't ship until the new Sup-2T starts shipping. The current 6513s are rather lame as only slots 9-13 support dual-fabric attachment to get the full 40gbps per slot -- slots 1-8 are limited to 20gbps/slot.

No matter what, you only want to buy a 650x-E chassis at this point -- it's the only chassis with a future. Cisco is already starting to phase out support for the non-E chassis.
    Eric Spaeth
    Enterprise Network Engineer :: Hosting Hobbyist :: Master of Procrastination
    "The really cool thing about facts is they remain true regardless of who states them."

Quote Originally Posted by prologan View Post
    You won't be able to run a SUP720-3BXL and a SUP32-10GE-3B in the same chassis. If you want 10gig, buy a 6704 or 6708 line card.

Your earlier requirements stated enough route capacity for a full IPv4 routing table. You won't be able to do that with a sup32... need the sup720-3BXL.

Also, if you are planning to do a lot of 10gig, this configuration would probably be better with a 6708 line card. Always try to avoid the 6704 line card if possible due to the small port buffers.

A workable solution but again.. if you plan to deploy more 10gig in the future try to buy the 6708 line card up front w/ DFC and avoid the much smaller port buffers on the 6704 card.
    There are a few DFC options outlined there: http://www.cisco.com/en/US/prod/coll...d8017a5db.html Table2 If you run a 6704 with a DFC3B you still wouldn't be able to do hardware routing with the full table correct? You would need to add the DFC3BXL card to a 6704 line card in order to do hardware routing with full tables according the the linked documentation I provided.

Also even with the 6708 line card you would need the DFC3CXL in order to do full table hardware routing?

Cisco documentation says the DFC3C supports 256,000 routes and the DFC3CXL supports 1 million routes. Is the route capacity of these 10Gbit line cards necessary to account for if you're using a sup720-3bxl supporting 1 million routes? and if so wouldn't it also be necessary on the 1Gbit line cards?

Brocade RX platform is more than adequate and very common on the used market.
    James Cornman
    365 Data Centers - AS19151/AS29838
    Colocation • Network Connectivity • Managed Infrastructure Services

So you guys see this thread is approx 5 months old?
    REDUNDANT.COMEquinix Data Centers Performance Optimized Network
    Managed & Unmanaged
    • Servers • Colocation • Cloud • VEEAM
    sales@redundant.com

Quote Originally Posted by TalentHouse Hosting View Post
    So you guys see this thread is approx 5 months old?
    Who cares? It is a valid question pertaining to another post in the thread and it has not been answered yet.

Quote Originally Posted by multexsys View Post
    There are a few DFC options outlined there: http://www.cisco.com/en/US/prod/coll...d8017a5db.html Table2 If you run a 6704 with a DFC3B you still wouldn't be able to do hardware routing with the full table correct? You would need to add the DFC3BXL card to a 6704 line card in order to do hardware routing with full tables according the the linked documentation I provided.

Also even with the 6708 line card you would need the DFC3CXL in order to do full table hardware routing?

Cisco documentation says the DFC3C supports 256,000 routes and the DFC3CXL supports 1 million routes. Is the route capacity of these 10Gbit line cards necessary to account for if you're using a sup720-3bxl supporting 1 million routes? and if so wouldn't it also be necessary on the 1Gbit line cards?
    In the 6500 system, the feature set is equal to the least capable DFC or MSFC in the system. If you use a DFC which does not support all of the features the MSFC or other DFCs are capable of, it will down scale the entire system to match the lower spec'd DFC.

This means if you use a DFC3C or DFC3B in a system with the 3BXL MSFC, the system will no longer support 1 million routes. You always want to match or exceed the capabilities of the MSFC when choosing the correct DFC for your line cards.

You can read more about this behavior on the 6500 platform here: http://www.cisco.com/en/US/products/...809a7673.shtml

One way to gain some of the advantages of switch fabric while avoiding the more costly DFC3BXL is to stick with the CFC on your line cards. Keep in mind CFCs will only have a fraction of the performance capabilities of the DFC's, but it is quite easy to replace the daughtercard with a DFC later on. You can also mix DFC's and CFC's on different line cards in the same chassis, however performance with that is spotty and it is best to do all or nothing with DFC's.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12