Question Best backup solution?

Hi everyone,

I'm currently looking for a good backup solution to replace our current one (as it's quite expensive), we need about 500GB and ideally want to use R1Soft (but will use rsync if this is too expensive) . I found an offer from Open Source Hosting Solutions at http://www.webhostingtalk.com/showthread.php?t=1051002 which seems incredibly cheap and wondered if anyone had any experience with them as i couldn't find any reviews apart from this one: http://www.webhostingtalk.com/showthread.php?t=898604 which isn't very encouraging?

If anyone has used them or knows of their reliability i'd be very interested to hear. Additionally if you have any other recommendations then it'd be great to hear them too.

Thanks very much guys,

Dave

Generally, I have found if your wanting to backup alot of content such as yourself a dedicated server with RAID is the best way to go.

You dont want to be doing a restore and it appears that the poor shared backup server is having another 5 restores going on from it, etc...

Thanks for your speedy reply! I am getting RAID setup as well, but i want offsite backup in addition as i need to make sure there's no chance of data loss. This also means it's very unlikely we'd have to restore from the backup, only if both drives failed which hopefully shouldn't happen (fingers crossed!). So i am still very interested to hear people's experiences with this company and any other recommendations.

Thanks,

Dave

Quote Originally Posted by deshg View Post
    I am getting RAID setup as well, but i want offsite backup in addition as i need to make sure there's no chance of data loss.
    RAID Cards failing and corrupt backups are always likely, Never say no chance or unlikely because what is unlikely is most likely to happen - Sods law

This also means it's very unlikely we'd have to restore from the backup
    Really? Soon as that RAID array starts to play up, You'll be restoring from backups in no time. So its best to have a decent solution in place for when you really need it to work.

any other recommendations.
    Sure, Heres a dedicated: http://www.ovh.co.uk/products/backup_fs_4To.xml

Cant beat having your own dedicated resources.

A good perk to having your own dedicated server for backups is, If you need to pull the drive and have it sent over to the DC where your restoring too, Just pony up the cost of the drive plus shipping, etc and bingo you can have a tech at the other end restore from the disk directly. (RAID 1)

On a shared backup solution this cannot be done...
    Last edited by Server Management; 05-27-2011 at 07:43 AM.

Wow that is an incredibly cheap dedicated server, i assume that's unmanaged (otherwise i might consider moving our main server!!) I hear what you're saying about having a reliable dedicated backup provider and if I can get it for the right price i'll definitely do that, however i would much rather not have to set it all up myself and maintain it if at all possible (which i'd obviously have to do if using a 3rd party dedicated server)?

Thanks so much for your help,

Dave