Thread: Secureing FTP

Smile Secureing FTP

Hi I'm new managing a shared web server. The problem I've come across and need help or advice on is that I can login SFTP using my cPanel username and password. However when I create an additional FTP via cPanel I can only login to it via FTP and not SFTP. Dose the hosting provider enable additional SFTP accounts to be added? If not how can I create users accounts to give to individuals who'd need access to read and write files on the share web sever. So I need to be able to give each individual an account to login so as no one uses anyone one else's account to log in as a form of security; i.e. people who are given accounts can access and told not to share the username. Secondly I need to secure or encrypted the data sent to the shared web server.

Thanks.

SFTP is just a shell access user account. FTP users are only users of the FTP program, not system-level.

I guess the provider is using a custom SSH Port #. Ask them what it is and enter it into client software like FileZilla and should be able to connect using SFTP then.

Smile

No the hosting provider isn't using a customer port as far as I know. Thing is I was able to login using filezilla via sFTP using port 22 using the username and password for cPanel access. Then I created another ftp account via the cPanel under FTP Manager. For the new account create I can only log in using the new ftp account username as password connecting on port 21 and not on port 22. So how do I create additional accounts that can login on port 22.

I don't want to share my cPannel username and password so another person can upload files onto the web server securely. I would rather create an additional account which would enable another person to add files on to the server securely.

Thanks.

Quote Originally Posted by speeder_02 View Post
    No the hosting provider isn't using a customer port as far as I know. Thing is I was able to login using filezilla via sFTP using port 22 using the username and password for cPanel access. Then I created another ftp account via the cPanel under FTP Manager. For the new account create I can only log in using the new ftp account username as password connecting on port 21 and not on port 22. So how do I create additional accounts that can login on port 22.

I don't want to share my cPannel username and password so another person can upload files onto the web server securely. I would rather create an additional account which would enable another person to add files on to the server securely.

Thanks.
    In order for any user to login using SFTP (or SSH) they must be using a server account, not an FTP account.

I want to offer you a different solution that will allow your users to transfer files in a relatively secure fashion and it will be *very* easy for them to use once it is setup.

Login to your cPanel account. In the Files section select Web Disk instead of FTP accounts.

Create webdisk accounts as required.

For each webdisk account you want a user to be able to access, after creating the account click on the Access Webdisk button in the list of accounts.

Create an applet for the desktop operating system your user prefers, download the applet, then email it to them. Depending on their operating system running the applet should mount the directory you configured as a new volume, drive or some such thing on their system.

Now the user can drag and drop files on their own desktop to upload them to your domain.

cPanel is very, very nice!
    Skeptic Hosting
    Promoting a reality-based lifestyle choice
    Hosting by invitation only, nothing for sale

You just need a separate cPanel account. Cannot use SFTP with sub FTP accounts in cPanel.

OP may want to consider upgrading to a Reseller account or VPS server.

You more than likely can't change this but you can add shell access for that account and sftp should work.

If you prefer command line just edit /etc/passwd and change /sbin/nologin to /bin/bash for the user in question.
    Linux junkie | steward.io

Hi

Thanks for the replies so far. The WebDisk idea was helpful, but not really. That works in an office environment, which I will set up for that situation. Thanks srider for introducing me to this feature in cPanel though.

But the environment I'm in is I have people who'll need access to the server from different places and locations and different operating systems. WebDisk I'll have to explain how to set it up, and the users are able to lazily save the password. Causing a security issue where if they leave the computer some one else only needs to double click the networks places folder to gain access. I can't police someone when I'm not physically present to warn them not to save the password. So using an ftp client like Filezilla where you have to enter in a username and password every time you connect is better. True it dose save the password as well, but it beats someone causally browsing folders on windows. I prefer sFTP login via ftp client.

So the suggesting to change /etc/passwd takes my fancy if this enables me to create additional accounts for sFTP access on the shared web server.

My web site files are place under /home/(web site name) Visiting the root dir / I have the fallowing /bin /etc /home etc. When I hope /etc there is a file called passwd. Is this the file viGeek was talking about. If so opening it I get a lot of line that has /sbin/nologin

viGeek says "change /sbin/nologin to /bin/bash for the user in question." the only user in my shared web host I believe is the username and password given to access my cPanel. How do I create additional users to login via ssh client or sFTP into shared web server besides the cPanel username I have.

Thanks.