Question VPN Server Software

Hi Everybody!

I need some suggestion about VPN Server Software.
    I'm a university student and I live in University hostel but we have stupid and limited Internet connection in there. Our network admin blocked lots of websites for security reason. We try to use 3G connection but it was slower than 56k dail-up.

Anyway, I tried VPN server and It was great at all. So I got dedicated server from USA and I installed pptpd servers for myself and my friends but I need more professional software as a VPN server provider. (What kind of software they are use?)

because I have to

- Bandwidth limit and monitoring (if someone use all uplink its big problem for other users so I have to set up bw limit)
    - give Shared and private IP for different user groups. (for online gaming
    - IP logs from user group.

We can't use OpenVPN because we can't install 3rd party software on our computers

I tried to install pptpd server on my centos server from this source: URLand it was good but I can not do my wishes (like special IP, BW limit, monitoring etc.)

Could you please give me some advise about that?
    I can install any operating system on my server.

I want to use this system with my 25-30 friends.

Thank you so much and have good day!

any advise?

why not setup a squid proxy?
    AS395558

I have to use VPN services. for gaming, other application etc.

Quote Originally Posted by alican View Post
    I have to use VPN services. for gaming, other application etc.
    you can use squid proxies for anything.
    AS395558

Quote Originally Posted by Dougy View Post
    you can use squid proxies for anything.
    dude I can't create network same as local network with squid proxies.

Any advice about vpn?

i suggest to order a new server from 100tb.com
    they offer 1Gbps uplink + 100 TB of Traffic
    so even if someone of your friends used the whole 100Mbps it will not be a problem as you will have 900 Mbps Free

Quote Originally Posted by badboyx View Post
    i suggest to order a new server from 100tb.com
    they offer 1Gbps uplink + 100 TB of Traffic
    so even if someone of your friends used the whole 100Mbps it will not be a problem as you will have 900 Mbps Free
    Well, it's was other good idea but I already got my dedicated server with 3 months contract so I need VPN Server management software suggestion.

You can do this rather easily with IPTables...

Specify an IP address in your pptpd configuration file for each user (rather than having it auto assign one randomly) and then you can use IPTables to monitor the BW usage of each IP, control the NAT settings to/from each IP (so you can give certain users / groups of users a different public IP), and you can rate limit.

Rather simple if you are familiar with IPTables... You could script up a quick and dirty script to automate everything in no time at all.

Thank you very much for advise Daniel.
    Well, I study biology actually, and I'm not really good with linux and IPtables as well.

I've got Quard Core CPU server for this project and I don't care too much resource using etc cause that cpu able to handle this process I guess...

I also want to use something easy to manage because I spend lots of hours and days to figure out that problem and I've reinstalled my server for 10 times and results: nothing.

What kind of software VPN Providers are use? I need same thing I guess. (Except. OpenVPN)

Quote Originally Posted by alican View Post
    Thank you very much for advise Daniel.
    Well, I study biology actually, and I'm not really good with linux and IPtables as well.

I've got Quard Core CPU server for this project and I don't care too much resource using etc cause that cpu able to handle this process I guess...

I also want to use something easy to manage because I spend lots of hours and days to figure out that problem and I've reinstalled my server for 10 times and results: nothing.

What kind of software VPN Providers are use? I need same thing I guess. (Except. OpenVPN)
    huge number of providers use openvpn.
    AS395558

Many people use openvpn

how about others?
    Is there any other alternative?

The only alternative that can fit all computers is pptp AFAIK . I'm not sure if the server can be configured for 30 simultaneous connections .

starvpnreviews.com - here is a list with vpn providers. some of them provides simultaneous connections. and instead using open vpn you can use l2tp or pptp and no 3rd part software needs to be installed.

I'm using openvpn behind a filtered firewall/proxy. I can access all sites without an issue.

If you don't want to use OpenVPN and finds pptp & iptables critical, I suggest you to purchase a windows. Windows has built in vpn functionality using Remote & Routing service. You can also use IPSec. Or you can also purchase a Cisco hardware firewall with VPN functionality.
    Mellowhost - Providing High Quality Web Hosting Services since 2007
    SSD Cpanel Shared, SSD OpenVZ & KVM VPS Hosting
    A Hosting Provider with Complete SSD VPS & Shared Hosting.

We can setup all VPN Methods and strategies with Complete control panel for you,
    Pm me if you need.