Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

VPS or Semi-dedicated recommendation

Im currently on shared host looking for a faster host. I have 5 websites running now and more in the future. I am thinking going offshore to be anonymous. I heard vps is better than semi dedicated in term of speed? is that true? I want speed and can config stuff like APC. and must be litespeed. all my website are running php

I am looking for stable and with discount. I can go 2 years and more
    Last edited by Ken Ng; 05-25-2011 at 11:44 PM.

There really is no difference in VPS and Semi-dedicated. They are the exact same thing. There is only vps, or dedicated. When looking for VPS be sure to look for powered by Xen to ensure the resources are not over sold.

thanks. I will look out for that. seems like VPS is a better choice for me.

"Semi-dedicated" usually refers to a shared account on a server with less sites on it than a regular shared account in order to allow each site to consume more of the shared resources.

Going "offshore" isn't going to make you anonymous; depending on what type of thing you are trying to protect, you'll have to choose a location that provides protection from your particular concern. For instance, if you are looking to avoid challenges for copyright infringement you will find that nearly all of the US, Canadian and EU countries reciprocate on on the basis of treaty and international law, with some exceptions (the Netherlands, for instance). If your concern is adult content, some places may be more tolerant than the US for older teens. If your concern is political tolerance, the US is better than most due to constitutional protections.

If you are simply trying to be anonymous to protect personal privacy, unplug the computer, disconnect the power to the house, and go off-grid. You really can't be "anonymous" and host websites. Someone will always know who you are, and they will cooperate with the authorities.

I would recommend you considering only VPS options as semi dedicated is referring to big web hosting account only.
    I suppose you also need to elaborate that for yourself what is believed offshore for you? Outside US and Canada or something what will allow to host what other companies do not allow?

Quote Originally Posted by fshagan View Post
    If you are simply trying to be anonymous to protect personal privacy, unplug the computer, disconnect the power to the house, and go off-grid. You really can't be "anonymous" and host websites. Someone will always know who you are, and they will cooperate with the authorities.
    That is a nice one mate
    Quote Originally Posted by CraterHost View Post
    There really is no difference in VPS and Semi-dedicated. They are the exact same thing. There is only vps, or dedicated.
    It is not good to generalize things like that. If you do so always express what you are trying to tell in detail.
    Last edited by iHubNet-Matt; 05-26-2011 at 02:20 AM.

eAccelerator or Varnish-Cache are better than APC.

Regarding LiteSpeed now, they still a lot of bugs and some hosts try to avoid it. Lighttpd is a better choice.

What is your monthly budget?

@fshagan, Offshore hosting will protect you in some ways, depending only where do you buy it

If you really look for very fast loading, you might find some service which's closer to you home.

@Lincxu, I am sorry but that's a pretty wrong idea.

For example: I have a website with 90% customers from Unites States. And I living at the North Pole(I am not). I buy a server, connect it to the internet, install my website and it's working perfectly for me, 1ms ping. But what about my US Customers?

You should think first where are your visitors from.

"Semi-dedicated" usually refers to a shared account on a server with less sites on it than a regular shared account in order to allow each site to consume more of the shared resources.

Going "offshore" isn't going to make you anonymous; depending on what type of thing you are trying to protect, you'll have to choose a location that provides protection from your particular concern. For instance, if you are looking to avoid challenges for copyright infringement you will find that nearly all of the US, Canadian and EU countries reciprocate on on the basis of treaty and international law, with some exceptions (the Netherlands, for instance). If your concern is adult content, some places may be more tolerant than the US for older teens. If your concern is political tolerance, the US is better than most due to constitutional protections.

+1 very good detailed explanation.
    HostXNow - Shared Web Hosting | Semi Dedicated Hosting | Enterprise Reseller Hosting | VPS Hosting

Thanks for this!

Quote Originally Posted by Mareshal View Post
    eAccelerator or Varnish-Cache are better than APC.

Regarding LiteSpeed now, they still a lot of bugs and some hosts try to avoid it. Lighttpd is a better choice.

What is your monthly budget?

@fshagan, Offshore hosting will protect you in some ways, depending only where do you buy it
    thanks for that. I will lookout for lighttpd and read more about it. Monthly less than 20. Until i have huge traffic i will have to upgrade again. thanks

Also check nginx ( http://nginx.net) and nginxcp ( http://nginxcp.com )
    HostXNow - Shared Web Hosting | Semi Dedicated Hosting | Enterprise Reseller Hosting | VPS Hosting

Which bugs? I think that you should base your statements in something real.

OP:
    If you want to run the Web server of your choice, then get a VPS or a dedicated server, on a Semi-Dedicated, you'll have to use the Web Server and configuration that your host have set.
    Shared Web Hosting - Reseller Hosting - Semi-Dedicated Servers - SolusVM/XEN VPS
    LiteSpeed Powered - R1Soft Continuous Data Protection - 24/7 Chat/Email/Helpdesk Support
    Cpanel/WHM - Softaculous - R1soft Backup - Litespeed - Cloudlinux -Site Builder- SSH support - Account Migration
    DowntownHost LLC - In Business since 2001- West/Center/East USA - Netherlands - Singapore

@Jedito, there was a null byte exploit(I think it's still there) a few months ago, that has only been covered. I'll look for that topic and post it. And take a look at their forum: http://www.litespeedtech.com/support...isplay.php?f=9

A lot of bug reports and most of them are not solved.

I know it's a good piece of software, but it has it's bugs. Some hosts were even using it's cracked version. How it was cracked? Exploiting bugs.

Quote Originally Posted by CraterHost View Post
    There really is no difference in VPS and Semi-dedicated. They are the exact same thing. There is only vps, or dedicated. When looking for VPS be sure to look for powered by Xen to ensure the resources are not over sold.
    You can actually oversell Xen VPS's just incase you didn't know.

Most are minors issues, like if Apache didn't have bugs, right?

https://issues.apache.org/bugzilla/b...resolution=---
    Shared Web Hosting - Reseller Hosting - Semi-Dedicated Servers - SolusVM/XEN VPS
    LiteSpeed Powered - R1Soft Continuous Data Protection - 24/7 Chat/Email/Helpdesk Support
    Cpanel/WHM - Softaculous - R1soft Backup - Litespeed - Cloudlinux -Site Builder- SSH support - Account Migration
    DowntownHost LLC - In Business since 2001- West/Center/East USA - Netherlands - Singapore

I personally think semi dedicated is better, you get more for your money.

I knew about this semi-dedicated server. I will try and upgrade now.

thanks, i;m looking at some vps offer and decided a few. however i cant really find semi dedicated offer. with the speed vps has

@Mareshal Almost everything has bugs of some sort. Nothing is perfect. Certainly lighttpd isn't perfect. Did they ever fix that memory leak?

Nginx is a much better option (in my opinion). Faster, lighter weight, less bugs, etc.
    My personal blog -- rubiverse.net

Totally agree. nginx is something like a free LiteSpeed.

@flam316, yes, memory leak has been fixed since 2008(if we're talking about the same bug)

I'm looking at going either vps or semi dedicated in the future, currently on mdd's shared. What makes the vps tempting is that it seems to allow much more disk space compared to the semi dedicated for the price, not sure why this is?

Quote Originally Posted by Grey1 View Post
    I'm looking at going either vps or semi dedicated in the future, currently on mdd's shared. What makes the vps tempting is that it seems to allow much more disk space compared to the semi dedicated for the price, not sure why this is?
    When comparing, remember that your semi-dedicated plan does not have disk space taken up by the operating system, Apache, PHP, or MySql. Then things like cPanel take up space too, as do your local name servers, etc. Figure from 1 to several GB taken up by that stuff, especially if you add something like Softaculous.

When comparing, remember that your semi-dedicated plan does not have disk space taken up by the operating system, Apache, PHP, or MySql. Then things like cPanel take up space too, as do your local name servers, etc. Figure from 1 to several GB taken up by that stuff, especially if you add something like Softaculous.
    Oh, that makes sense. However, for the respective advanced plans the difference is significant. 100$ on the semi dedicated gives 20g of disk space and 1200g in bandwidth - for $15 more on the vps side you get 60g of disk space and 3600g of bandwidth, basically 3x as much. Does this mean that the semi dedicated is more of a premium service?

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast