Where to get windows license and virtualization service?

Hi,

I am getting a dedicated offer but it only caries CentOS.

I want to be able to run 2 OS in that server but I don't know how to start. I ask the provider of the server and they said it supports virtualization.

Here are my questions.

Where can I get Virtualization Installation service to install Windows and CentOS?

Where can I get windows license to install on that server?

Here is the server config
    > Intel i7 2.66 GHz Quad Core CPU 8 Mb Cache 4.8 GT/s QPI
    > 8 GB DDR3 RAM
    > 2x 750 GB SATA 7200 RPM Hard Drives
    > 100 MBit/s Network Connection
    > 10 TB Bandwidth
    > CentOS 5.5 - 64 bit Operating System

Thanks

In order to get a Windows license you need to either buy it (not worth it) or lease it from MSFT.
    Who ever is providing you with your server can give you a SPLA setup but they'll likely have to activate for you.

Quote Originally Posted by compITent View Post
    Who ever is providing you with your server can give you a SPLA setup but they'll likely have to activate for you.
    I already ask the provider, they said they can't provide windows on this promo server.

Quote Originally Posted by compITent View Post
    or lease it from MSFT.
    Where?

You can't lease unless you're a SPLA partner.
    If your provider won't give you one you have two options:
    Buy the license or find a new provider.

Depending what you need Windows WebServer is pretty cheap

You should ask your provider for Windows license.
    It's quite challenging to set up Windows vps on linux server if you don't have any experience in this area.
    PremiumReseller.com Hyper-V SSD VPS USA London Singapore
    Reseller Hosting Cpanel PURE SSD CloudLinux Softaculous
    Windows Reseller Asp.NET 4.5 MSSQL 2012 SmarterMail Enterprise

Firstly, it would be a lot easier if you installed Hyper-V and then get the CentOS installed. I'm sure you'll find it a lot easier to Virtualize it that way.

Next, most of the time if you're renting a Dedicated Server, the provider will not allow an external license installed as they do not want to infringe on MSFT copyright in case there's any problems with that license. They will most probably provide 1 for you if you ask them to get it. Then again, that's just $$$ we're talking about.

Who is your host who is telling you that you can't have Windows with that server? If they are that rigid, you should totally NOT stay with them. I do understand when it comes to hardware but when it comes to software, they must be either sleeping or they must be nutz.

Alternatively, you could just do this...

Get the server from them and directly after they deploy the server to you, tell them that you want to change OS and you want WINDOWS on it.

That should do the trick. They are not thinking by not giving you Windows on the 1st place.
    Aaron Ong
    Dedicated Servers - 100TB Servers - 100Mbps Unmetered Servers - Web Hosting - CDN Network
    Servers in Central, East/West Coast USA, EUROPE and ASIA
    Welltodo Century
    - www.welltodocentury.com

Thanks for all your reply. Here is my initial conversation with "Rapidswitch". Personally, if not for the latency, I won't stay with them. We already have servers in other locations and we are keeping theirs because we use it as a load balancer. Their service however is something I am not happy right from the start.

Quote Originally Posted by aodat2
    Who is your host who is telling you that you can't have Windows with that server? If they are that rigid, you should totally NOT stay with them. I do understand when it comes to hardware but when it comes to software, they must be either sleeping or they must be nutz.
    Rapidswitch

Here is some of our conversation so far..

Quote Originally Posted by Rapidswitch
    We're offering this new specification on a first-come, first-served basis as below:
    > 8 GB DDR3 RAM
    > 10 TB Bandwidth
    I ask if that can be available in windows and supports virtualization.

Quote Originally Posted by Rapidswitch
    Hi,
    I'm afraid it is not possible to have this server with Windows. The CPU supports Intel Virtualization.

Regards,

Quote Originally Posted by aodata2
    Get the server from them and directly after they deploy the server to you, tell them that you want to change OS and you want WINDOWS on it.
    Can they not deny me that request since I already ask it prior to purchase?

Quote Originally Posted by aodat2 View Post
    Firstly, it would be a lot easier if you installed Hyper-V and then get the CentOS installed. I'm sure you'll find it a lot easier to Virtualize it that way.
    Is there a guide how to do this? Or a service provider to do this for me?

Here's a very very easy guide to get you installing it...
    http://www.netometer.com/video/tutor...tep1/index.php

After installing it, I'm sure you'd like to configure it so here's the configuration...
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mLktzoG2QFw

To be more technical, here's the tutorial from TechNet
    http://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/l...8WS.10%29.aspx
    Aaron Ong
    Dedicated Servers - 100TB Servers - 100Mbps Unmetered Servers - Web Hosting - CDN Network
    Servers in Central, East/West Coast USA, EUROPE and ASIA
    Welltodo Century
    - www.welltodocentury.com

I would recommend you to go with VmWare ESXi for virtualization

Quote Originally Posted by littleantz View Post
    Hi,

I am getting a dedicated offer but it only caries CentOS.

I want to be able to run 2 OS in that server but I don't know how to start. I ask the provider of the server and they said it supports virtualization.

Here are my questions.

Where can I get Virtualization Installation service to install Windows and CentOS?

Where can I get windows license to install on that server?

Here is the server config
    > 8 GB DDR3 RAM
    > 10 TB Bandwidth

Thanks
    Any worthwhile server management organization should be able to get a virtual machine management system installed on the server.

You can purchase a licence for your favorite Microsoft OS direct from Microsoft or any of the many resellers.

Before attempting to recommend any server management company we would have to know the reason behind this project, it really seems to be the wrong thing to do.

Do you realize that this project will or should cost 5 to 10 times the monthly charge for leasing a comparable dedicated server with a Microsoft OS installed on it? What is the point?

Do you realize that you will effectively reduce the specs on your current server? If there was a reason to order these specs originally, the proposed project will upset the original planning.

You have stated that you use this server currently as a load balancer for other installations, do you know and understand how the proposed project may affect the current usage?

Quote Originally Posted by mohsinrizwan View Post
    I would recommend you to go with VmWare ESXi for virtualization
    What's the difference between HyperV and VmWare ESXi?

Here's a very very easy guide to get you installing it...
    http://www.netometer.com/video/tutor...tep1/index.php
    Requires payment?

After installing it, I'm sure you'd like to configure it so here's the configuration...
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mLktzoG2QFw

To be more technical, here's the tutorial from TechNet
    http://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/l...8WS.10%29.aspx
    Thanks.. really helpful. I did not realize that HyperV is from Windows. I thought it was a product of VmWare.

Now I think I am getting closer. Except I can't find a reasonable license reseller for windows.

Quote Originally Posted by srfreeman View Post
    You can purchase a licence for your favorite Microsoft OS direct from Microsoft or any of the many resellers.
    Can you give me link where to get this?

Before attempting to recommend any server management company we would have to know the reason behind this project, it really seems to be the wrong thing to do.
    I want to have someone to look after the sercurity of the server because I am only familiar on using it but not securing my box. So I want, if I can affor to have someone look after that part for me.

Do you realize that this project will or should cost 5 to 10 times the monthly charge for leasing a comparable dedicated server with a Microsoft OS installed on it? What is the point?
    I understand that. That is why I want to grab the box but grabbing it without being able to run what I need to run is a waste.

Do you realize that you will effectively reduce the specs on your current server? If there was a reason to order these specs originally, the proposed project will upset the original planning.

You have stated that you use this server currently as a load balancer for other installations, do you know and understand how the proposed project may affect the current usage?
    I don't understand what you're trying to say here. Can you explain please.

Thanks

Littleantz;

It appears to me that you are going to need find a consultant, a sys-admin or a management company that you can talk with directly. Getting the details of the project through the forum will take far to long.

You may need to search this board for references or use any search engine using the term - remote server administration.

Sorry, I cannot provide any recommendations, everyone I presented this to ran the other way.

HyperV do not support FreeBSD Guest

I would recommend getting your feet wet with VMware ESXi

http://www.vmware.com/products/vsphe...visor/faq.html

Try it out on a test server and see if it works for you.
    Dynamic Concepts, Inc. Creative Technology Orange County California
    Colocation VPS Dedicated Servers Managed Hosting SAS70 Type II Certified
    ProStores Kerio MailServer Web Design & Development
    Scott Lee email: wht"AT"dynamic.com http://www.dynamic.com (949)215-1200