Exclamation Moving a huge blog

I would like to move a WP blog that is 55 gigs in size, is that too large to move and have it all intact on the other end? I have backup buddy I was going to use, but maybe a cpanel to cpanel would be better??
    We have flown the air like birds and swum the sea like fishes, but have yet to learn the simple act of walking the earth together as brothers.
    - Martin Luther King Jr.

Moved > Hosting Security and Technology.
    Specially 4 You
    JoneSolutions.Com ( Jones.Solutions ) is on the net 24/7 providing stable and reliable web hosting solutions and services since 2001

For such a large blog it would surely take some time to manage and then restore, restoring that on a simple account would be a nightmare, however, for such a large site you might be seeking more than a shared account if you were thinking of going that path.

Do you mind if I ask why you want to move and what sort of service you are on presently?
    l Dedigeeks (Twitter) Shared Reseller Cloud VPS Since 2010
    l Leading AU Hosting Provider Multiple locations - around the globe!
    l cPanel/WHM R1Soft Backups 24/7/365 Support 99.9% Uptime Guarantee
    l www.yourcompanynamehere.com Customer Service Rep. Superior Service Guarantee

Quote Originally Posted by Sparrow-Sean View Post
    For such a large blog it would surely take some time to manage and then restore, restoring that on a simple account would be a nightmare, however, for such a large site you might be seeking more than a shared account if you were thinking of going that path.

Do you mind if I ask why you want to move and what sort of service you are on presently?
    Its on an iffy-service unlimited everything shared hosting account and I want to move it to my reseller account or to a VPS. I don't want to say where it is now until I have it moved.
    We have flown the air like birds and swum the sea like fishes, but have yet to learn the simple act of walking the earth together as brothers.
    - Martin Luther King Jr.

Eek, surely explains a lot of it

Do you have a budget for your move away at all?

Another question, do you have current statistics of the site, I mean it might be better serviced more to a VPS rather than back onto or within a shared environment.

Eek, surely explains a lot of it

Do you have a budget for your move away at all?

Another question, do you have current statistics of the site, I mean it might be better serviced more to a VPS rather than back onto or within a shared environment.
    I think a VPS is what I need however I have no idea how to manage one. The site is about two months old so little traffic.

Yes, I have a budget for the move and the new hosting.
    - Martin Luther King Jr.

Do you mind if I ask why it is consuming so much diskspace for a 2 month old blog, I mean just to get an understanding as a lot of reputable providers will not offer so much allocated diskspace under a shared environment.

Sure unlimited might work continually, however, the downside to that is going to be optimal performance to your site and your viewers.

If the budget is wealthy I am sure you could fine a pretty decent home, on a shared account maybe not so much.

If I stay where I am now I can't use more than 10% of the server's CPU, other than that disk space is unlimited, but everything has a limit eventually. So I'm looking for something better suited for a site that will grow and hopefully have a lot of traffic.
    - Martin Luther King Jr.

Do you mind if I ask why it is consuming so much diskspace for a 2 month old blog, I mean just to get an understanding as a lot of reputable providers will not offer so much allocated diskspace under a shared environment.

Sure unlimited might work continually, however, the downside to that is going to be optimal performance to your site and your viewers.

If the budget is wealthy I am sure you could fine a pretty decent home, on a shared account maybe not so much.
    Its a membership site with 2,000 downloadable products; that's why its so large.
    - Martin Luther King Jr.

I understand, I am sure that at some point the hits to the downloads will eventually take a toll on the system itself, sure the minimal traffic at the moment might not be a current side effect but multiple upond multiple downloads occuring within a decent timeframe could be a cause of concern.

I'd possible recommend a Virtual System in this event, ServInt has some pretty decent deals going, I am not sure if their current $23.00 a month system was still going for the first months order, but surely something to commend.

I understand, I am sure that at some point the hits to the downloads will eventually take a toll on the system itself, sure the minimal traffic at the moment might not be a current side effect but multiple upond multiple downloads occuring within a decent timeframe could be a cause of concern.

I'd possible recommend a Virtual System in this event, ServInt has some pretty decent deals going, I am not sure if their current $23.00 a month system was still going for the first months order, but surely something to commend.
    My issue isn't so much in finding a place to move the site, its moving a site that is so large. The few people I spoke to are more than happy to host my site on a VPS, but they won't move it. I'd be better off starting over on a VPS and slowly moving the contents of the current site over.
    Unless of course my backup buddy WP plugin will do the job for me.
    - Martin Luther King Jr.

The only real basic issue is *Input: THE SIZE* - If the site is cPanel to cPanel based it will be much easier to manage, you could always take another route and FTP the data across respectively but that would ultimately take some time to manage and it would be done whilst you went and did shopping and or what not.

It would ultimately be the easiest way, actually speaking of it, you could actuall do a backup of the account and skip the home directory and then restore those extra files via FTP.

The problem is cPanel to cPanel especially the eyes of a backup and restore could take a long time and inevitably take up a lot of system resources in doing so.

Personally if it was me, here's what I'd do.

Backup the site EXCLUDING the downloads/stored product(s) folder. This should make the backup significantly smaller, meaning your new host is likely to transfer it for you. This will get the basic blog moved without issue, leaving you only the download files to take care of.

Either ask your host, or manually (via SSH) FTP into your old/existing hosting provider and transfer the downloads files to your new home. A server to server transfer should be much quicker and shouldn't take long at all.