just edit ur client DNS on WHM and add ns1 with ur ip and ns2 with ur ip
    Fast Host Online Hosting, Domain, VPS, Dedicated Server
    OpenVZ, Xen, And WIndows VPS
    http://www.fasthostonline.co.id

if u have 2 ip u can make with different if but if u only get 1 ip, u can use same ip

on panel domain ur customer off course u must make child name server and grant with the ip of server

Red face

Well it consists of two parts...

Part 1 to configure your vps/dedicated server with a dns template i.e for kloxo/cpanel

part2 to inform/register with your domain registrar

You must have at least 2 ips

You can use cpanel dns only server its free and very easy to use, if you have a main cpanel you can attach those dns to a master and sync dns data.
    Cpanel Master (with client domains/websites) <--cpanel dns1 <--cpanel dns2 <--cpanel dns3 etc.
    Offshore Hosting & High Privacy in Panama
    OnApp Cloud Servers & Shared Web Hosting | Daily Backups | 99.9% Uptime
    www.OffshoreRacks.com

Quote Originally Posted by WebalizerME View Post
    Well it consists of two parts...

Part 1 to configure your vps/dedicated server with a dns template i.e for kloxo/cpanel

part2 to inform/register with your domain registrar

You must have at least 2 ips
    A single IP can be used for DNS, but you must enter it both unique nameserver subdomains (for example, ns1.yourdomain.com and ns2.yourdomain.com).

Enter that IP address in the "Host Summary" at godaddy.com, but other registrars may call it something else. Create an NS1 entry with the IP address, then create an ns2 entry with the same IP address. Now enter your own ns1.yourdomain.com and ns2.yourdomain.com entries for your primary domain's nameservers. Those will need a day or two to propagate.

Now setup your DNS server on your VPS to accept requests.

While that works fine for hosting domains, you will want a secondary DNS server if there is a lot of email being received. The problem is that if you have only one DNS server and it goes down, email will be sent back to the sender (not good for business). If there is a secondary DNS server that's found the sending server will try again later.

Providers should never ever put multiple DNS servers on same IP - this is a major red flag. In some countries (and I think in RFC as well, though not sure right now and too lazy to lookup) it is even a requirement to have at least two DNS servers with unique IPs, preferably in different subnets.

Just get a cheap VPS somewhere in other country, pay like 5$ per month and get your backup DNS going - it is not so complicated... For example if you are using cPanel, DNS synchronization can be made in minutes.
    If availability is important, choose Serveriem.LV - the uptime makers
    Shared hosting and OpenVZ VPS

Quote Originally Posted by lastguru View Post
    Providers should never ever put multiple DNS servers on same IP - this is a major red flag. In some countries (and I think in RFC as well, though not sure right now and too lazy to lookup) it is even a requirement to have at least two DNS servers with unique IPs, preferably in different subnets.
    The question is whether it will work, and it will.

Email issues aside, a single DNS server in the same box as the web server isn't going to hurt anything. After all, if the web server is down a backup DNS server isn't going to help make it available.

Unfortunately, some of us do want to get emails as well. Also it is possible for a DNS server software to go down as well, and if you have just one then web server being operational won't help anybody to see the content...
    If availability is important, choose Serveriem.LV - the uptime makers
    Shared hosting and OpenVZ VPS

As others have said definately don't just have 1 actual nameserver,
    I personally have 4

Can never be too careful these days.

ajonate is correct in a way, however any company with DNS on 1 box will get bad publicity, it is RFC compliance also to have no single point of failure with DNS.

If you have more than one server then you certainly need backup DNS simply because yes it's true, if a server goes down it still isn't going to work with backup DNS, however if you have more than one server, backup DNS is vital to keep others online when only 1 is down.

Also propagation can refresh in some places in the world, so if DNS is down cache may be cleared, basically meaning around 48 hours downtime for some parts of the world until propagation completes again.
    Last edited by NixDot; 05-30-2011 at 08:23 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by lastguru View Post
    Unfortunately, some of us do want to get emails as well. Also it is possible for a DNS server software to go down as well, and if you have just one then web server being operational won't help anybody to see the content...
    Don't get me wrong, I run a secondary DNS server on a different server machine, different city, and even a different state. In fact I also operate a failover web server & mysql server so I can offer High Availability (HA) services. I like to say that my hosting service could survive a nuclear holocaust -- with zero downtime.

But it's important to understand what you can and can't do, and what the consequences are. I don't like doing things just because I'm supposed to. I prefer to understand the process. There is nothing wrong with discussing a single DNS server hosting setup, as long as its shortcomings are made clear.