Wireless Access Points?

I am looking for recommendations on wireless access points. I would like to set up 2 - 5 units to cover an area but want all the units to present a single unified net and allow for roaming from one unit to the other without network disruption.

I think the apple air port units used to allow this a couple of years ago but I am not sure about the current state of the art.

Thanks,

Dave.

Most WAPs will let you present a single unified net and allow roaming. You would just configure the WAP in 'bridged' mode and connect them all to the same layer 2 network.

I would look at Meraki, they have a good reputation for quality and extending via mesh (wireless only without hard-wiring) if needed.

i.e. Meraki ID2
    Tranquil Hosting

Check out Ubiquiti Networks - http://www.ubnt.com/. I haven't used any of their stuff, but pricing is very reasonable and I've heard good things.
    iCall Carrier Services - Carrier-grade VoIP services from a licensed CLEC - http://carriers.icall.com
    Domestic termination and origination, toll-free origination, A-Z International termination, dedicated servers, and colocation in our wholly-owned datacenter
    Real-time ordering via our control panel or XML-based API with over 20,000 numbers in stock

look at meraki wireless mesh system ($200 each). it's everything you need for exactly what youre talking about. the other cheaper version of meraki is open mesh ($60 each). both operate within a mesh technology. We use these systems to do large MDU's with multiple dsl/cable/wireless wan circuits. there is no real setup needed for either of these systems, you just login to the portal and associate the unit's mac addresses to one giant ssid your create.

Quote Originally Posted by voipcarrier View Post
    Check out Ubiquiti Networks - http://www.ubnt.com/. I haven't used any of their stuff, but pricing is very reasonable and I've heard good things.
    Its pretty awesome stuff, especially for the price. Mikrotik is another possibility along the same lines.

Funny, I get this email today....You may want to try her..

I am the owner of Bountiful Wi-Fi, manufacturer of USA made, patented FCC certified 1 watt long range managed and stand alone Wi-Fi Products. We have been in successful distribution for 5 plus years. When can we set up a meeting with our Chief Engineer and get a demo kit of our controller and 2 access points into your hands?
    Thanks Lori

Lori A Mortensen
    Owner
    Executive VP Marketing & Public Relations

Dossier Inc.
    DUN'S # 007622079
    dba's:
    Computer Applied Training
    Bountiful Wi-Fi Products
    1883 South 5070 West
    Salt Lake City, UT 84104
    sales: 801-294-9965
    customer service: 866-252-9978 or
    http://www.bountifulwifi.com/helpdesk/

http://www.bountifulwifi.com
    est. 1992

Another guy in our office really likes these little routers. He reports that the single band line works fine as long as you're indoors, and they have a very simple setup process.
    Last edited by michcolo; 05-25-2011 at 12:28 PM. Reason: typo

Quote Originally Posted by circus&back View Post
    Funny, I get this email today....You may want to try her..

I am the owner of Bountiful Wi-Fi, manufacturer of USA made, patented FCC certified 1 watt long range managed and stand alone Wi-Fi Products. We have been in successful distribution for 5 plus years. When can we set up a meeting with our Chief Engineer and get a demo kit of our controller and 2 access points into your hands?
    Thanks Lori
    Even funnier:

http://www.bountifulwifi.com:82/help....php?article=9

Bountiful Wifi closed it's doors due to economic situations. It has been reopened by Newonics, Inc. in order to attempt to continue the excellent technology and product lines.

In the process, your RMA may have been lost in the transition. Although Newonics has not assumed the obligations of Bountiful Wifi, it is our desire to honor the previously submitted RMAs.

Aruba hands down

+1 for Aruba. If you use anything else, you are compromising.
    SolutionPro Inc
    www.solutionpro.com
    Colocation Server Hosting
    Virtual Server Hosting

Mikrotik is also a nice way to go.

Even their RB450G is a nice little router that people can use in their datacenter... can do even BGP
    Biznesshosting, Inc. DBA VOLICO - Intelligent Hosting Solutions
    East Coast Enterprise Dedicated Servers and Miami Colocation.
    managed and unmanaged dedicated servers. High bandwidth colocation. Managed clusters.

Ruckus has been nice. A bit pricey on outdoor units, but pretty awesome mesh capabilities.

I love Aruba. They are expensive, but hands down the best. I was forced to use Cisco on my latest wifi project and I ended up needing a lot more APs than the same building plans I had previously done with Aruba.

I have to replace 6x Aruba 800 controllers with 802.11n (dual band) access points. Aruba is still a little expensive. IPv6 is a requirement, too.

I was looking around a little.

- No Netgear, the current products (WC7520) are again some noname products (e.g the WFS709TP was once a relabeled Aruba 800 and is still working great on some locations), no IPv6 here

- No Enterasys: No IPv6, price for C4110 controller and especially AP3610 is high.

- I really looked at Cisco: I like the 1252 APs

- HP, here I am still struggling. HP does have different product series, the ones taken from Colubris: the MSM460 with 3x3:3 MIMO looks nice.
    The H3C ones: WA2620E Has anyone every used these?

- Alcatel? Well, had some serious problems with its voip equipment. Old versions of their WLAN products were also Arubas, but with same price. What about today?

- Dlink: DAP-2690 even with IPv6 support. Are there controller based products? Has anyone ever used these?

I have a lot of experience setting up large WiFi networks in Afghanistan. We tried using Cisco Aironet ($1000+ units) and later added Ubiquity which performed much better. From my recollection:

Cisco:

- More expensive ($1000+)
    - Heavier, more difficult to mount
    - Required coaxial cable pair for data and power
    - Required a separate mount that had to be assembled and screwed into the side of a building or rigged onto a pole
    - Total install time could take a few hours per device
    - Mediocre range

Ubiquity (used PicoStation and NanoStation models):

- Far less expensive (< $200)
    - Very light weight, easy to mount
    - Used PoE which I protected from the 140 degree heat with PVC cable loom, there is a shield that protects the RJ-45 jack so only the CAT5 is exposed
    - Uses heavy duty zip ties to attach to any pole in seconds
    - Very short install time
    - Exceptional range. I had 4 x NanoStation2's covering an area of about 5 x 2 miles

The Ubiquiti stuff is pretty amazing for the price. We have a pair of NanoBridge Ms that easily push 100Mbps a little over two miles.

Junipers WLA Access points can be pretty cheap 400-600 each along with the WLC Lan controller.

The WLC2 wireless controller supports 4 AP's and will manage/control everything for you. We are about to roll out junipers wireless system here.

Quote Originally Posted by Spudstr View Post
    Junipers WLA Access points
    Interesting. I havenīt thought about Juniper. So these access points are actually Trapeze ones?

What are you using the devices for?

I would honestly go with a Cisco WAP + Access Controller. You can get them in a combo of 3 WAPS + 1 AC for $3kish I believe.
    Dan Sheppard ~ Freelance whatever

Quote Originally Posted by [CTI] Todd View Post
    The Ubiquiti stuff is pretty amazing for the price. We have a pair of NanoBridge Ms that easily push 100Mbps a little over two miles.
    Ubiquiti rocks. I've got a pair of NB M5's pushing 40Mbps over 10 miles.

Quote Originally Posted by Sheps View Post
    What are you using the devices for?

I would honestly go with a Cisco WAP + Access Controller. You can get them in a combo of 3 WAPS + 1 AC for $3kish I believe.
    Have you ever used Ubiquity? Earlier in the thread I did a review of both Cisco and Ubiquity for a large wireless LAN project in Afghanistan. Ubiquity prevailed in my testing.

Thanks guys lots of very good information. I am actually looking for something small to cover the bosses new house. 3-4 ap, all locations will back haul over cat6a so self extending mesh is not needed in this case but roaming from ap to ap would be nice. Budget, well as it is the boss just about anything but I hate just throwing money at it.

Dave

Dave.

Cisco Linksys E3000's would probably do the trick with Tomato USB honestly. Cheap and effective.
    Dan Sheppard ~ Freelance whatever

You'll be wanting to check out Rukus then:

http://www.ruckuswireless.com/

:-)
    Clook: Fully Managed UK Based Hosting · CloudFlare Optimised Partner!
    Established 12 Years - 24/7/365 Support (<10m Avg. Response Time)
    Shared, Reseller, vServer, Dedicated and Beyond
    0845 867 2550 Sales - Visit our Website

Project complete. In the end I picked up a Zywall 2 plus and 3 Zyxel AP3205. Worked a charm with great coverage no hiccups moving around the house. It was also real simple to configure, simply use the same SSID on all units and set channels to 1, 6 and 11 manually to prevent overlap.

I'm not sure I would recommend this for a commercial setup but in a large home environment they worked great. Entire setup <$200!

Dave.