Question is 1mbp leased line enough for starting server to host multi simple sites ?

hello ,

i'm thinking to take 1 mbps leased line to connect a server for hosting many sites , i calculated bandwidth for this speed and i see that it's not so bad ! so what is your opinions ? it will cost me money but it's my old dream to build my own small data center :$ ?

where do you live? a single person on $10 adsl here would drop your 1meg up..

yeah but let me explain , if visitors browsing sites only without download any files , and 1mbps speed will give me 128kbps upload/per second , so if we say that the outband will be ottaly 100kbps per second ! in the server , so it will not a problem , i think that !?

You "could" do it, but it would be very slow. Most sites have about 500 MB of data with at least 2-3 MB of pictures, CSS, etc. on each page. So, if only one user was trying to view a page, it would take about 20 seconds to see everything on the page. Now imagine if there were three people viewing the page all at once. Then it would take 1 min. to load per page.

Quote Originally Posted by Mr.Zooka View Post
    i calculated bandwidth for this speed
    You dont need to "calculate" anything - 1Mb/s *is* a measurement of bandwidth ...

If this is some sort of "residential" DSL then it's likely to be limited to 128Kb/s upload, so your maximum *transfer* assuming you max the connection 24/7 for a month, with no other issues or use of the line, and no throttling by your provider (and if they even allow you to host servers at the end) will be _about_35Gb

Dont bother - just rent a decent dedicated server or colocate in a proper datacentre.
    Rob Golding Astutium Ltd - UK based ICANN Accredited Domain Registrar - proud to accept BitCoins
    Buying Web Hosts and Domain Registrars Today @ hostacquisitions.co.uk
    UK Web Hosting | UK VPS | UK Dedicated Servers | ADSL/FTTC | Backup/DR | Cloud
    UK Colocation | Reseller Accounts | IPv6 Transit | Secondary MX | DNS | WHMCS Modules

mmmmmmm yeah i know what you mean , it's the problem that i know that i need more high speed , at least i think to be 10mbps , true ?

and i have question about medium and large datacenters , is they use leased lines also !? or what is the technology which they use to offer this big bw !!?

Quote Originally Posted by TBradley View Post
    You "could" do it, but it would be very slow. Most sites have about 500 MB of data with at least 2-3 MB of pictures, CSS, etc. on each page. So, if only one user was trying to view a page, it would take about 20 seconds to see everything on the page. Now imagine if there were three people viewing the page all at once. Then it would take 1 min. to load per page.
    500MB? 2-3MB of CSS? Whaaaaaaaaaaat?

Quote Originally Posted by Mr.Zooka View Post
    mmmmmmm yeah i know what you mean , it's the problem that i know that i need more high speed , at least i think to be 10mbps , true ?

and i have question about medium and large datacenters , is they use leased lines also !? or what is the technology which they use to offer this big bw !!?
    they got a business fiber line, providing for business people, with redundencie of equipment, Cisco branded network, Juniper Router... some hardware that I dream during the night ;-)

its better for you to rent a cheap dedicated server with a 100mbps shared bw its sound better.

I see this question allot, and the simple answer is a 'leased line' even a 1 mbit one will cost the same as a decent VPS or cheap dedicated server both of which are a far better option.

Do you have a few 1000 spare to replace hardware when your server dies, and even if you do can you replace the hardware and have everything back on-line with in 2 hours for your paying customers?, because someone paying $15 p/month for a VPS probably can (not that they even need to worry about that)
    -> INCEPTION HOSTING LIMITED
    -> QUALITY XEN & OpenVZ VPS HOSTING
    -> PHOENIX & MIAMI USA & THE NETHERLANDS & UK EU
    -> WHITE LABEL XEN VPS RESELLER PLANS

Quote Originally Posted by quantumphysics View Post
    500MB? 2-3MB of CSS? Whaaaaaaaaaaat?
    Yeah. Whoever wrote that 3 MB CSS file needs to go back to webdesign school.

lol , any way i have since long time 1 vps server and 1 dedicated serverv , from datacenter in usa , and i measured output bw percentage per second from every server , and i found that it's enough for up speed for 1mbp leased line !! lol !!

A 1mbps line gives you roughly 128K/s of throughput to play with. So you are looking at around the 20 second mark to download a few MB of data. This is for one person on your website, if you have more than one it's going to get slower. Considering most people have anywhere from a 10mbps to a 50mbps connection in their homes these days, your server should have a faster connection to the internet than it's visitors, not slower.

In the real world on modern websites it's going to be very slow. You might have a dedicated server and see that your usage might be OK with such a slow connection, but without being able to burst upto 100mbps for example, its going to be very slow.

I hosted from home 7 years ago before I started a hosting business. With VPS and dedicated servers so cheap and so easily available now, it is not worth it anymore.

According to your post, it looks like you are planning to start your own data center in your home/office.
    I would like to suggest that remove this idea from your mind if you are planning to do so. I am not disappointing you.
    It will take lots of time to reach your investments break even point and it will increase your risk in all terms.

I would suggest to buy VPS or dedi server or colocate your own server in nearest data center.

Data Centers are not crazy to buy bulk bandwidth from 2 or more providers.
    ██ Website Hosting Mumbai | Web Hosting India
    ██ Web Hosting Unleashed
    ██ cPanel-Softaculous Shared Hosting | 99.9% Uptime
    ██ sales[at]linkwayhosting.com | +91-9930-3388-67

mmmmmmmmmm , yeah i respect your replies , mm i will think a gain in this idea and calculate my steps again

because you are saying it's your dream, i say just go ahead and put the server on that 1mbps line, ( provided those are not commercial money earning sites) it may be slow but it will work.

mm yeah Krazy it's my dream since long time , and i think that i will start it , and asap i will improve it and improve its connection line , thank you