Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Questions about "nameservers"

Hello guys

Well, people in this forum advised me not to buy the domain name I want through the host.

Doing that will make me buy the domain name from namecheap.com, and choose MDD hosting as the host, but I have no idea about the nameservers, could anyone please help me with this?

Thanks.

How do you mean about the nameservers, you are in the right direction but not sure what you are trying to ask.

Generally what happens is you sign up with the host, you receive your welcome e-mail from the provider, and then you update your nameservers from those outlined in the welcome e-mail

It's usually quite simple.

If I did mistaken your understanding please let me know.
    l Dedigeeks (Twitter) Shared Reseller Cloud VPS Since 2010
    l Leading AU Hosting Provider Multiple locations - around the globe!
    l cPanel/WHM R1Soft Backups 24/7/365 Support 99.9% Uptime Guarantee
    l www.yourcompanynamehere.com Customer Service Rep. Superior Service Guarantee

Quote Originally Posted by Sparrow-Sean View Post
    How do you mean about the nameservers, you are in the right direction but not sure what you are trying to ask.

Generally what happens is you sign up with the host, you receive your welcome e-mail from the provider, and then you update your nameservers from those outlined in the welcome e-mail

It's usually quite simple.

If I did mistaken your understanding please let me know.
    Thanks a lot for the quick reply

Well, I am new to these things so I just need a little to understand everything.

In namecheap.com, I chose 3 domain names (let's say supersonictt.com, supersonictt.net and supersonictt.org), and I will only use supersonictt.com (I registered the others so no one else can take them). Now, in the Domain options (just before paying), I am asked to set up the nameservers, I got 2 options:

1. Use Our Free Name Servers
    You should use our name servers if you want to take advantage of our free features like email forwarding, URL forwarding, dynamic DNS etc. If you are not sure, please leave it at default.

2. Use Custom Name Servers
    Please enter the DNS servers you want to use for the domain(s). Excercise caution when you enter these values and make sure they are valid. Some domains require name servers in a specific format.

Which one should I choose? As after that, I am going to purchase the host plan from MDD.

Hello,

No, I understand it is all good

In regards to what you have said above this is relatively simple and trust me a lot of members on this board will be happy to assist.

Alright, what you will need to do is actually get the nameservers from MDDHosting first, you usually get this after making your first order via e-mail or within the (Welcome E-mail) that is sent out, this could be (ns1.mddhosting.com & ns2.mddhosting.com) as per examples.

What you will need to do is get those first and then update the nameservers via Namecheap so you would choose the option number (2) from above as you want to use custom nameservers and not the nameservers via Namecheap as you are not paying for their particular hosting in question.

So, first up you will need to grab the nameservers from MDDHosting, I am not sure how they manage their systems based on where you are placed so it is best to get the right information first before making those nameserver changes within Namecheap

Hello,

No, I understand it is all good

In regards to what you have said above this is relatively simple and trust me a lot of members on this board will be happy to assist.

Alright, what you will need to do is actually get the nameservers from MDDHosting first, you usually get this after making your first order via e-mail or within the (Welcome E-mail) that is sent out, this could be (ns1.mddhosting.com & ns2.mddhosting.com) as per examples.

What you will need to do is get those first and then update the nameservers via Namecheap so you would choose the option number (2) from above as you want to use custom nameservers and not the nameservers via Namecheap as you are not paying for their particular hosting in question.

So, first up you will need to grab the nameservers from MDDHosting, I am not sure how they manage their systems based on where you are placed so it is best to get the right information first before making those nameserver changes within Namecheap
    Now I got it

So which step comes first? As I understand, I should first go to MDD and purchase the plan, but it will ask me whether to let them register my new domain (which I don't want that), or transfer my domain from another registrar, or "I will use my existing domain and update my nameserver", and if I choose the last option it will ask me about my domain name which I still don't have!

So I am a bit confused! hehe!

So which step comes first? As I understand, I should first go to MDD and purchase the plan, but it will ask me whether to let them register my new domain (which I don't want that), or transfer my domain from another registrar, or "I will use my existing domain and update my nameserver", and if I choose the last option it will ask me about my domain name which I still don't have!
    No worries, I am that way at times, no actually always

Alright you will need to select the package, and follow the order link from the MDDHosting page, you will then need to select the third option "I will use my existing domain and update my nameserver" and input your domain name as you do not want to register or transfer the current domain that you have with Namecheap.

The domain name you have registered via Namecheap, correct?

The domain name you are registering should be placed in that particular box

Quote Originally Posted by supersonictt View Post
    Now I got it

So I am a bit confused! hehe!
    Figure out which domain will be your main domain where your site will be. Then, buy the plan under that domain. Then, use the custom DNS in NameCheap and point it to the nameservers in the email MDD will send you. Once you have access to the control panel and the domains are pointed to MDD, you can go into the control panel and add the other domains as "Parked Domains".
    My personal blog -- rubiverse.net

Hehe ok, let me make it a bit clearer:

If I go first to namecheap and register the domain name, I will be asked to setup the nameservers which I still don't have! (As you said, I should get them from MDD)

If I go first to MDD to purchase the host plan, I will be asked to put in my domain name which I still don't have!

So that's what's confusing me

You can register your domain name at namecheap without having to update the nameservers straight away, you can still follow the order process with MDDHosting if you do not have the domain at that current moment, but it is still best to get it via Namecheap first and then order your package.

I have quite a few domains with Namecheap and you don't need to update the nameservers straight away.

You can register your domain name at namecheap without having to update the nameservers straight away, you can still follow the order process with MDDHosting if you do not have the domain at that current moment, but it is still best to get it via Namecheap first and then order your package.

I have quite a few domains with Namecheap and you don't need to update the nameservers straight away.
    Ok, I will register the domain names right now, and I will choose "Use your custom Name Servers" without filling anything, right?

Ok, I will register the domain names right now, and I will choose "Use your custom Name Servers" without filling anything, right?
    You can register the domain and just use their custom ones till you get the nameservers from MDDHosting, you can always change them via Namcheaps control panel at any time

You can register a package with a domain that is not yet registered, and then register the domain, or vice versa. They're two independent, yet related, services. What it comes down to is that you need a hosting package that has the domain you wish to use and that you have a domain that is pointed at the right nameservers - it doesn't matter which happens first - but the hosting will not work via the domain until the domain is actually registered.
    Michael Denney - MDDHosting LLC
    New shared plans for 2016! Check them out!
    Highly Available Shared, Premium, Reseller, and VPS
    http://www.mddhosting.com/

You can register the domain and just use their custom ones till you get the nameservers from MDDHosting, you can always change them via Namcheaps control panel at any time
    Now I got it

I will make the purchase now and see how it goes

Thanks a lot for your help mate

Quote Originally Posted by MikeDVB View Post
    You can register a package with a domain that is not yet registered, and then register the domain, or vice versa. They're two independent, yet related, services. What it comes down to is that you need a hosting package that has the domain you wish to use and that you have a domain that is pointed at the right nameservers - it doesn't matter which happens first - but the hosting will not work via the domain until the domain is actually registered.
    Thanks for these info

One last thing, in namecheap the offer Positive SSL for each domain I want to register, I am planning on buying one ($1.99) for the ".com" domain as it is going to be the main one, do I have to buy it for the other 2 domains (.net and .org)? As I am not going to use them, just register them so they won't be taken.

Hello guys

Well, people in this forum advised me not to buy the domain name I want through the host.

Doing that will make me buy the domain name from namecheap.com, and choose MDD hosting as the host, but I have no idea about the nameservers, could anyone please help me with this?

Thanks.
    Choose the custom name servers from NameCheap and use these settings:

http://www.mddhosting.com/support/kn...uld-I-use.html
    All of our shared, reseller, and semi-dedicated services use the same DNS cluster and the nameservers you should use for any of these services is:
    ns1.mddservices.com - 173.248.187.10
    ns2.mddservices.com - 173.248.191.11
    ns3.mddservices.com - 173.248.188.12
    You will only need to type in the content in bold (or the IP, but not both).

From there you can purchase a hosting plan through mddhosting.com and select "I will use my existing domain and update my nameservers" at the first checkout stage. Enter your main domain address in the box. After that it's all gravy. It may take up to 48 hours for the domain to propagate (start pointing to your web host), but it is usually pretty quick.

Thanks for these info

One last thing, in namecheap the offer Positive SSL for each domain I want to register, I am planning on buying one ($1.99) for the ".com" domain as it is going to be the main one, do I have to buy it for the other 2 domains (.net and .org)? As I am not going to use them, just register them so they won't be taken.
    You would want to pick which one you wanted to be the main, and have the other two redirect there in most cases. You would set the main when you ordered, park the other two once the account was active, and then use the "redirection manager" to set the other two to always go to the main.

Keep in mind you will also need a Dedicated IP to use SSL.

Thanks for these info

You may not need an SSL. What kind of site are you going to be running?

Quote Originally Posted by JaJae View Post
    You will only need to type in the content in bold (or the IP, but not both).
    It would be the content in bold, or the content in bold + the IPs. Some registrars require the IPs as well (de.nic comes to mind) but others do not. This is why we list both, just in case.

Quote Originally Posted by MikeDVB View Post
    It would be the content in bold, or the content in bold + the IPs. Some registrars require the IPs as well (de.nic comes to mind) but others do not. This is why we list both, just in case.
    I wasn't aware of that. Nice tip. I wasn't sure if he would type try to type them all in the same line (copy/paste).

I wasn't aware of that. Nice tip. I wasn't sure if he would type try to type them all in the same line (copy/paste).
    Nah, if it's in the wrong format the registrar would let you know in most cases unless their user interface is terrible. NameCheap, from memory, has an excellent interface.

You may not need an SSL. What kind of site are you going to be running?
    Thanks guys for the tips

Well, it is a tennis website that contains members area for my students, it will contain news and other stuff like online contests, as well as forum and blog (in the near future), also, it will contain an online shop.

SSL's are only really relevant to where you are going to store customer's data, Credit Card Numbers, addresses, phone numbers, etc and the like.

Mainly for and when you sell online

SSL's are only really relevant to where you are going to store customer's data, Credit Card Numbers, addresses, phone numbers, etc and the like.

I am only going to use PayPal as the paying method, so do I still need SSL?

Plus, what do you mean by "where you are going to store customer's data"? As I am going to use MySQL databases to store their info (mainly e mail addresses and passwords as their info)

One last thing, if I want to buy the SSL, do I have to buy it for the three of the domains? (only ONE will be active and the other 2 will be redirected to the main, so they won't contain any pages)

Actually it's not for when you store it, but when you transmit or receive it. You could receive personal information, and not store it, and you would still want SSL.

Plus, what do you mean by "where you are going to store customer's data"? As I am going to use MySQL databases to store their info (mainly e mail addresses and passwords as their info)

One last thing, if I want to buy the SSL, do I have to buy it for the three of the domains? (only ONE will be active and the other 2 will be redirected to the main, so they won't contain any pages)
    You don't have to have a dedicated IP address & SSL if you are using PayPal's payment gateway. It can be a "nice to have" but if you aren't taking credit card information, or storing it, it isn't required. PayPal takes care of this by asking for the credit card numbers only AFTER the customer is transferred to their secure payment gateway. You have no visibility of their credit card number.

You do not need SSL for storing member names, addresses, etc. Just disclose what you store and keep, and if you share it with anyone else, in your Privacy Policy.

If you did buy a dedicated IP and SSL, it would go with your main domain name. Your "parked domains" that are pointing to the same web space will be "forwarded" to the main domain, so if the user types in "your-domain.net", they will be directed to "your-domain.com" (your main domain name in this example).

And, you don't have to do the IP and SSL now; you can add the dedicated IP address and SSL certificate later on if you need it.

One SSL on the domain doing the transactions is all you would need. But if you are only using Paypal it may not be necessary as the transaction takes place on their end and not your server. It would all depend on the type of cart you would be running and the level of security you would like to put on your site. AS said previously an SSL would require a dedicated IP address as well as the actual SSL certificate. An SSL can also cause issues with coding if you are new to web design.

Quote Originally Posted by fshagan View Post
    You don't have to have a dedicated IP address & SSL if you are using PayPal's payment gateway. It can be a "nice to have" but if you aren't taking credit card information, or storing it, it isn't required. PayPal takes care of this by asking for the credit card numbers only AFTER the customer is transferred to their secure payment gateway. You have no visibility of their credit card number.

You do not need SSL for storing member names, addresses, etc. Just disclose what you store and keep, and if you share it with anyone else, in your Privacy Policy.

If you did buy a dedicated IP and SSL, it would go with your main domain name. Your "parked domains" that are pointing to the same web space will be "forwarded" to the main domain, so if the user types in "your-domain.net", they will be directed to "your-domain.com" (your main domain name in this example).

And, you don't have to do the IP and SSL now; you can add the dedicated IP address and SSL certificate later on if you need it.
    Well, namecheap are offering the Positive SSL for $1.99, shall I buy it and keep it, and when I need it I purchase a dedicated IP from the host to use it for SSL? Does that work this way?

Well, namecheap are offering the Positive SSL for $1.99, shall I buy it and keep it, and when I need it I purchase a dedicated IP from the host to use it for SSL? Does that work this way?
    It's only $2. If you think it may be useful and compatible you aren't out much if you choose not to use it. $1.99 for an annual SSL is very cheap.

One SSL on the domain doing the transactions is all you would need. But if you are only using Paypal it may not be necessary as the transaction takes place on their end and not your server. It would all depend on the type of cart you would be running and the level of security you would like to put on your site. AS said previously an SSL would require a dedicated IP address as well as the actual SSL certificate. An SSL can also cause issues with coding if you are new to web design.
    Aha! So it's better to leave it for now I guess!

Lol I was writing the last post when JaJae posted

Then, let me buy it, and if I found out that I need it, I will ask more about using it

Hello again guys

I just registered my domain names with namecheap (.com, .net, .org), and purchased MDDHosting plan, then, I went back to namecheap and updated the nameservers MDD sent me. Do I have to update the three domain names or just the .com as it is the main one?

Now my website still didn't propagate. When someone types mydomain.net or .org, I want him/her to be redirected to the .com, I know I have to do it in the cPanel, but where and when? Shall I do it now or when the site propagates?

Thank you.

I just registered my domain names with namecheap (.com, .net, .org), and purchased MDDHosting plan, then, I went back to namecheap and updated the nameservers MDD sent me. Do I have to update the three domain names or just the .com as it is the main one?
    All three, the nameservers determine where the domains point.

Now my website still didn't propagate. When someone types mydomain.net or .org, I want him/her to be redirected to the .com, I know I have to do it in the cPanel, but where and when? Shall I do it now or when the site propagates?
    You'd set it in the cPanel, after you parked the .net and .org variants you could use the Redirection Manager inside of the cPanel.

Since you registered the domains without the right nameservers, and then updated them, you should give 24 to 72 hours for them to update.

Thank you.
    Welcome.

Thanks for the reply

I just updated the nameserver for the rest of the domains (now all the three are updated).

So, it is ok if NOW I go to cPanel, park the .net and .org domains then redirect them to the .com, right? Or shall I wait?

Thanks for the reply

I just updated the nameserver for the rest of the domains (now all the three are updated).

So, it is ok if NOW I go to cPanel, park the .net and .org domains then redirect them to the .com, right? Or shall I wait?
    You can do it now, or you can wait, just like you could go get a cup of coffee now, or in 10 minutes. Either way, it doesn't matter

hehe thank you so much
    I cannot wait until the site propagates
    Will I get an email when it is ready?

You won't get an email when the domain name finally resolve to your site, so you'll have to keep checking on your own.

Technically, there are many servers that have to be updated with the name server information. For you to see your site, the name server your ISP uses will have to be updated. Sometimes that can take a while.

You can see if the domain name is updated at the "top level" by going to http://intodns.com and putting in your domain name. You should see the right name servers there. As all the other name servers update their records by syncing with that top level name server, and servers syncing with them do the same thing, your domain name will "propagate" throughout the internet. Don't panic for 24 - 48 hours (then if it hasn't resolved for you, let us know and we'll give you some tips).

It generally takes about 24 hours for DNS propagation, but I've seen much less as well in some cases.

To avoid dealing with your ISP's DNS resolvers being cached to the old server for your domain, you can try configuring your computer to use alternate DNS resolvers (there are other advantages to this too). I typically recommend www.opendns.com

They've even got a CacheCheck utility where you can check what IP address your site is resolving to, and clear their own cache.

http://www.opendns.com/support/cache/

This is what I use personally, and it allows me to view a site on a new server almost immediately after DNS changes.
    MediaLayer, LLC - www.medialayer.com Learn how we can make your website load faster, translating to better conversion rates for your business!
    The pioneers of optimized web hosting, featuring LiteSpeed Web Server & SSD Storage - Celebrating 10 Years in Business

Quote Originally Posted by layer0 View Post
    It generally takes about 24 hours for DNS propagation, but I've seen much less as well in some cases.

To avoid dealing with your ISP's DNS resolvers being cached to the old server for your domain, you can try configuring your computer to use alternate DNS resolvers (there are other advantages to this too). I typically recommend www.opendns.com

They've even got a CacheCheck utility where you can check what IP address your site is resolving to, and clear their own cache.

http://www.opendns.com/support/cache/

This is what I use personally, and it allows me to view a site on a new server almost immediately after DNS changes.
    That's also what I use, but for new users, it could be very hard to configure.
    Serverfruit - awesome cPanel hosting!
    Bacon forever!

I was waiting to see if things propagated naturally before advising the OP on some of the finer details of flushing the local DNS cache, etc. Usually its not needed, and can just confuse the issue.

One of the problems I ran into with DNS resolution was a customer who had a prior host walk him through editing his local HOSTS file to point to his server. I should have thought of it earlier, but went through the process of waiting, contacting his ISP, etc. before I thought of it.

Guys, can I change my main domain in the control panel?

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast