Virtuozzo or No-Virtuozzo Dedicated Server

Hello Guys

I have a dedicated Dual Xeon with 2 x 73 GB SCSI disks in RAID 1 and 2x250GB for backup. The server has 200 total domains, each with many mail accounts and some database driven normal sites hosted on it. Average usage is around 2 CPUs but there are frequent spikes when mails are sent.

The hardware has gotten old and has been giving some problems, so I want to replace it. The new config would be like:

Quad Core Xeon® X3440 Processor
    4x2.53 GHz Hyperthreaded Cores
    8 MB L3-Cache, 1333 MHz FSB
    8 GB 1333 MHz DDR3 Memory
    500GB Usable Serial ATA Storage in RAID 1

My data center has given me two options - Dedicated server with Virtuozzo or without it. I will not be creating VPSes on the server but just transferring those 200 domains. Cost difference would be around USD70 per month which is manageable.

-Will Virtuozzo slow down things too much? Any other side-effects?

- Are there more chances of downtime because of the extra Virtuozzo software which I actually do not need but will help the DC provide faster support?

- Which option should I go for in terms of performance?

Any comments / suggestions will help.

If you aren't going to host VPSs, why would you want to set up Virtuozzo on the server?
    XeHost.net - Hosting websites since 1999!
    Shared Hosting, Cloud Hosting, Reseller Hosting, VPS Hosting, and Dedicated Servers
    End-User Support, WHMCS, and WHMReseller Available on Reseller Plans!
    Follow us on Twitter - new special every Sunday! @XeHost

Virtuozzo will not be needed if you only want to transfer over your websites. It will not slow down the server if you don't use it.

Virtuozzo is only to create VPS. As per your requirements, you don't need Virtuozzo. Avoid that.

No-Virtuozzo
    Ditlev Bredahl. CEO,
    OnApp.com + Cloud.net & CDN.net

If you don't plan on creating VPSes than you have no use for Virtuozzo.

However it maybe a good idea to actually do partition the 200 websites into several VPSes due to the security considerations.

Also, if you are OK with the CLI, I would highly suggest the OpenVZ which is free and open source and is the basis of the Virtuozzo.

Virtuozzo will only help with the migration here if your current server runs it as well. In that case you can migrate the container hosting all your sites and potentially maintain the same IP address(es), etc.

So there's definitely the advantage of ease of migration between servers, given the right situation.
    MediaLayer, LLC - www.medialayer.com Learn how we can make your website load faster, translating to better conversion rates for your business!
    The pioneers of optimized web hosting, featuring LiteSpeed Web Server & SSD Storage - Celebrating 10 Years in Business

Thanks

Thanks Guys

My data center people were insisting on Virtuozzo as it helps them manage stuff easily.

Based on your feedback I have requested a non-Virtuozzo server. They will charge around $50-70 more on the monthly for the same.

Both options below are non-Virtuozzo.

1. Which managed server option makes more sense to host 200 small-medium domains with a lot of email accounts, according to the price below? Is the first one an overkill?

----------------
    Quad Core Xeon® X3450 Processor
    4 x 2.66 GHz Hyperthreaded Cores
    8 MB L3 Cache, 1333 MHz FSB
    8 GB 1333MHz DDR3 Memory
    2 x 146 GB 15K SAS HDD in Hardware RAID 1
    PERC H700 Adapter RAID Controller 512 MB Cache
    8 TB Monthly Transfer
    100 Mbps Uplink Port
    4 IP Addresses
    CentOS 5 Operating System
    cPanel/WHM Control Panel Software
    50 GB R1Soft Backup Storage

$149 One Time Setup
    $399 Monthly Recurring
    ---------------

OR

---------------
    Quad Core Xeon® X3440 Processor
    4 x 2.53 GHz Hyperthreaded Cores
    8 MB L3 Cache, 1333 MHz FSB
    4 GB 1333MHz DDR3 Memory
    2 x 146 GB 10K SAS HDD in Hardware RAID 1
    256 MB RAID Cache
    8 TB Monthly Transfer
    100 Mbps Uplink Port
    4 IP Addresses
    CentOS 5 Operating System
    cPanel/WHM Control Panel Software
    50 GB R1Soft Backup Storage

$99 One Time Setup
    $359 Monthly Recurring
    -----------------

2. Does it make sense to reduce - $99 on the setup + $50 monthly on the R1soft backup - and instead take an extra 500GB backup disk? I do not need individual file restores so maybe the extra disk will allow faster restores?

What do you experts think?

If you can and definitely you want eternal peace to manage this server, choose (1). H700 whith raid-1 using 15k HDDs will run very very beautiful.

But if you don't want to increase the number of sites in future, you can use raid-1 without H700 (maybe SAS6 I think) and using 10k HDDs, choosing option (2)

SAS > SATA all the way around.
    AS395558

Please, SATA only in desktop. Never in server... MTBF too low, BUS velocity too low and SPEED... too low. LOL.

To the OP: What is the datacenter?

Quote Originally Posted by JulianoP View Post
    Please, SATA only in desktop. Never in server... MTBF too low, BUS velocity too low and SPEED... too low. LOL.
    SATA in RAID is fine in servers, all HDD producers offer RAID Editions and/or Server editions.
    No problem with that.

If you need much space for example SAS is not possible, a 1Tb SAS disc costs A LOT more than a 2TB RE SATA Disc or a 3TB consumer disc.

Thanks for the advice guys