Video streaming advice

Hi everyone,

I have a client that needs to have a website that can handle large video streaming data.

They will have around 5,000 users access the website (NOTE: not all at once), and the website size will be around 2GB as they will host a number of swf files to stream.

I would anticipiate that at most 1,000 users will access the website at any one time. They won't ALL be streaming the same video. Now the question lies with what kind of server would people suggest?

I have definiately decided the Dedicated Server route, but to what capacity as I dont want to over-estimate the requirements and therefore reduce my profit margin?

I currently have a Quad core 2.6ghz, 4gb ram, 2 x 1tb sata raid1. The only problem I see with this is that its connected to 100Mbps Network and would preferably like 1Gbps Network.

what are your thoughts about this?

Your help and advice is much appreciated.

If the rest is still fine, why don't you just upgrade the uplink?

If you need something faster, I would go for something with 4 disks in raid 10, maybe SAS in raid10?
    www.qirus.eu - Dedicated & virtual servers - Colocation

Month-to-month contract - No setup fees - High quality servers and network

You already say it yourself, go for at least a 1 Gbit connection so you can also handle the bursts.
    Another thing to keep in mind is the location, where will most of the visitors come from? Europe, USA, ... choose for a country close to most of your visitors for best and fastest streaming.

Streaming doesn't require too many server resources, so the server you have mentioned should be good enough to handle it.
    » www.InstantDedicated.com - Online in no time
    » Dedicated Servers in [EU] Netherlands + Belgium with DAILY support, also on weekends
    » 3.2 Tbit/s Network AS49453 with only 100 Gbit/s uplink backbone
    » 1G/10G/40G/100 Gbit ports available | 99,99% Network Uptime goal

Quote Originally Posted by Qirus View Post
    If the rest is still fine, why don't you just upgrade the uplink?

If you need something faster, I would go for something with 4 disks in raid 10, maybe SAS in raid10?
    So would you say that this HW setup is sufficient enough to handle these requests? I havent been able to do any serious testing as of yet, I've only managed to do around 15 users streaming same video and that gives out performance of CPU 0%, mem 42.8% and Swap 0%. This was with me logged in to WHMCS as well which counts for around 5% of mem.

Maybe you can give a bit more details about your streaming? What else is running on the server?

Maybe it is better to go for 2 servers, one with your website (can be VPS?) and one just for streaming...

Oh, and try it with 30 users, i don't think the memory usage will be 84% then.
    www.qirus.eu - Dedicated & virtual servers - Colocation

Month-to-month contract - No setup fees - High quality servers and network

Hello,
    To be honest I couldn't figure-out your situation. can you answer these questions?
    1) Are you doing streaming video or progressive downloading?
    2) What is your Media Server?
    3) What kind of file format & codec that you are using?

anyway VDO Streaming doesn't need much CPU power.

Cheers,
    Beruska
    DevOps / VoIP Engineer / Linux System Engineer
    Available

You will not have to worry about the server, what you need to be considering is the traffic. 1000 users @ 512 kbps (Which is really low quality) You can safely serve: 1,861 listener(s) on a DEDICATED 1 gbit port. If you were to say normal video quality 1000 users @ 1000 kbps You can safely serve: 953 listener(s). Bandwidth quality is very important. You will not want your clients users get buffering every time they try to watch.