Here's a new one, people continue to amaze me.

Heres a new one. We caught a user sending spam from our servers, we contacted them. They asked for a new IP, we refused to add a new IP since the other one had been blacklisted. We requested him to remove whatever was causing the spam and asked if his account had been hacked.

He continued to complain about us not adding a new IP without explaining the reason or a way of preventing the spam so I suspended his account.

He then complains about him paying to use the service and his domains being offline and even calls me "Greedy" for accepting his money in the first place as I continued to try to explain to him that SPAM is not only illegal but a big violation of our terms.

Then after about a half-hour he starts sending loads of spam to all of our email addresses...laugh?

Anyone have any tips on how they monitor the email traffic being sent from their servers?

Logs?

If you have ssh, depending on your server as well, for starteres look in (root)/etc/httpd/logs or in cpanel, access and error logs.

Quote Originally Posted by jwebhost View Post
    Logs?

If you have ssh, depending on your server as well, for starteres look in (root)/etc/httpd/logs or in cpanel, access and error logs.
    It depends on how the person is sending out the spam. It could've been a PHP mailer or perhaps it was from a IMAP or POP account. If you're running cPanel, the Apache log files are in /usr/local/apache/logs. He may also want to check the exim_mainlog and maillog file in /var/log.

Hello,

Why can't you do a Maldetect scan? It will catch almost all the mailing scripts.

The script can also be found from the exim_mainlog or domlogs ( depending on the script). You never should encourage spamming in the server. Why can't you suspend the account till you gets an explanation?
    " Your work is to discover your work and then with all your heart to give yourself to it. "

That's the mark of a true professional !

Guess I should have mentioned it was a VPS as well. The other tips will be useful for other web hosters too though.

We did shut down his smtp server immediately to prevent more, we just didn't shut down his whole vps.

Wow you suspended one of your customers for complaining? That's not very professional.

Wow you just missed the whole point of my post? The customer was sending SPAM, I asked them to handle it and they would not.

Oh, I see it now. I didn't understand that he was continuing to send spam.

You might try blocking outbound SMTP traffic at the firewall.

I would love to say in this juncture that we have already been "AMAZED" by such people... LOL

They keep bettering themselves, don't they?
    "You got a dream... You gotta protect it. People can't do somethin' themselves, they wanna tell you you can't do it. If you want somethin', go get it. Period." - Pursuit of Happyness

I suppose in this stage that is better to negotiate with client and try to find solution. In any case you are service provider and you decide who do you like to work with and who not.

crazy how he didn't do anything about his spam and then later started spamming you.

Don't suspend his account, block outgoing SMTP port at the firewall for his server until he fix the issue of spamming, if he is a true spammer without shame then there is nothing to do than suspending the account.

You need a monitor tool at the gateway level so you cough spam before your IPs getting blacklisted.
    Offshore Hosting & High Privacy in Panama
    OnApp Cloud Servers & Shared Web Hosting | Daily Backups | 99.9% Uptime
    www.OffshoreRacks.com

Don't suspend his account, block outgoing SMTP port at the firewall for his server
    That customer is on shared server not on VPS or dedi. Blocking SMTP will result in blocking all users SMTP
    Heres a new one. We caught a user sending spam from our servers,
    My first question is , do you have CSF ?
    We had this situation 2 times. CSF monitored and sent us mail. We opened a ticket under users account.
    We gave them time of 48 hours to remove spamming script else account will be suspended till month end. We gave him link of our TOS.
    Those users removed their scripts.
    *Make sure you have spamming controls written in your TOS
    Try to deal with them keeping lollipop in your mouth and ice on your head

██ Website Hosting Mumbai | Web Hosting India
    ██ Web Hosting Unleashed
    ██ cPanel-Softaculous Shared Hosting | 99.9% Uptime
    ██ sales[at]linkwayhosting.com | +91-9930-3388-67

Quote Originally Posted by OffshoreRacks View Post
    Don't suspend his account, block outgoing SMTP port at the firewall for his server until he fix the issue of spamming, if he is a true spammer without shame then there is nothing to do than suspending the account.

You need a monitor tool at the gateway level so you cough spam before your IPs getting blacklisted.

We did not suspend the server until we got in touch with the customer, and he continued to do nothing to stop or prevent the spam so it led me to believe he was doing it knowingly.

As for the monitor tool, do you have any suggestions?

for a start,
    Assemble a reliable machine or server with 2 Ethernet cards, download Untangle 32 or 64 bit install that iso image on the server and when setup part comes it will ask for router or bridge mode, you select bridge, then when you are on the web console you download the spam assassin module, and then you can configure everything to just watch for spam, mark spam, or quarantine spam. This way you will see the incoming spam and the outgoing spam.

If you need more info let me know.
    Last edited by OffshoreRacks; 05-26-2011 at 03:30 PM.
    Offshore Hosting & High Privacy in Panama
    OnApp Cloud Servers & Shared Web Hosting | Daily Backups | 99.9% Uptime
    www.OffshoreRacks.com