why are most VPS providers "not creative"?

WHy most providers are "not creative" when choosing a location for their servers?

Hi, where are your servers located?

Its either

If they colo:
    burst, Phoenix Nap, joes, HE, FDC. Mention 5-10 more places and its likely to cover around 65% of what we see .

I understand that you have to seek cheap locations but diversity is also a selling point ( even if a bit more expensive)

Do you have xen boxes?

Xen??are you mad? we would have to 2x or even 4x our current prices.

when it comes to "parting" a dedi, then seems like SL takes the lead, LW in EU .

What I see odd is that even the UK which has a small place has tons of options.

I guess its all about comfort zone and buzz word "specially on WHT".
    <<< Please see Forum Guidelines for signature setup. >>>

seems like it

LEB has similar stuff though

There are plenty of 'creative' ways do VPS plans. However, I agree that many are in a race to the bottom with the same locations.
    BLAZINGSWITCH | sales /@/ blazingswitch.com
    SEO HOSTING | 1500 CLASS-A/B/C | CLEAN IPv4 LEASING
    RESIDENTIAL IPS | 10G UNMETERED | IPV4 SOLUTION PROVIDER SINCE 2008

I guess you want to be where the pipes are the fattest.
    Hosting is like a box of chocolates, you never know what you're gonna get.

Quote Originally Posted by elvis1 View Post
    If they colo:
    burst, Phoenix Nap, joes, HE, FDC. Mention 5-10 more places and its likely to cover around 65% of what we see .
    Because their budget places which attract budget clients

If your selling 2GB VPS for $15 a month, You honestly think you could make ends meet by using $100 per month colo?

Quote Originally Posted by TheJoker View Post
    What, Under my kitchen sink?
    UK Based Proactive Server Management.
    Zabbix Enterprise 24/7 Monitoring.

This doesn't always matter, especially when you're generally going to have either a 100mbps or 1000mbps uplink to your server. At that point it does not matter whether the facility has 50gbps or 200gbps of capacity, as long as the have enough capacity for your bandwidth needs (and the rest of their clients), with a good amount of overhead. Typically, this isn't a problem. It would be more important for them to be using quality network providers with good routes to your target audience.
    MediaLayer, LLC - www.medialayer.com Learn how we can make your website load faster, translating to better conversion rates for your business!
    The pioneers of optimized web hosting, featuring LiteSpeed Web Server & SSD Storage - Celebrating 10 Years in Business

It would be more important for them to be using quality network providers with good routes to your target audience.
    Wouldn't that be in certain areas where the pipes are fattest? I know that's probably not true since you are MediaLayer and I don't know what the hell I'm talking about half the time, but it just makes sense to me.
    Hosting is like a box of chocolates, you never know what you're gonna get.

Quote Originally Posted by elvis1 View Post
    WHy most providers are "not creative" when choosing a location for their servers?

Hi, where are your servers located?

Its either

If they colo:

I understand that you have to seek cheap locations but diversity is also a selling point ( even if a bit more expensive)

Do you have xen boxes?

Xen??are you mad? we would have to 2x or even 4x our current prices.

when it comes to "parting" a dedi, then seems like SL takes the lead, LW in EU .

What I see odd is that even the UK which has a small place has tons of options.
    why? which location you want to see?
    QuickWeb™ -We Host Servers Like a Boss!
    New Zealand - USA - UK - Germany Virtual Servers
    Worldwide hosting provider with proven 24x7 and 25-Minute Support!
    www.quickweb.co.nz

Wouldn't that be in certain areas where the pipes are fattest? I know that's probably not true since you are MediaLayer and I don't know what the hell I'm talking about half the time, but it just makes sense to me.
    Maybe we are talking about two different things, but what I am basically saying is the actual capacity of the network does not matter too much. If they've got only say a couple of gigabits of connectivity (which isn't considered much these days), that's still enough to comfortably host a good amount of servers and serve plenty of customers.

Consider a user who has a 20mbps connection from their ISP (and that's faster than an average user), and the server they are downloading from has a 100mbps uplink going into switch, ultimately leading to a gigabit (1000mbps) connection a carrier, the user with the 20mbps connection still has the potential to download at the maximum possible transfer rate. If the network had 10,000mbps connections to their carriers, it still wouldn't make a difference here. The only reason you'd need those types of connections if if you were actually serving enough users to justify it, but an individual user won't see a difference in performance unless the network was originally congested.
    MediaLayer, LLC - www.medialayer.com Learn how we can make your website load faster, translating to better conversion rates for your business!
    The pioneers of optimized web hosting, featuring LiteSpeed Web Server & SSD Storage - Celebrating 10 Years in Business