Results 1 to 10 of 10
  1. #1
    Join Date
    May 2007
    Posts
    1,979

    why are most VPS providers "not creative"?

    WHy most providers are "not creative" when choosing a location for their servers?

    Hi, where are your servers located?

    Its either

    If they colo:
    burst, Phoenix Nap, joes, HE, FDC. Mention 5-10 more places and its likely to cover around 65% of what we see .

    I understand that you have to seek cheap locations but diversity is also a selling point ( even if a bit more expensive)

    Do you have xen boxes?

    Xen??are you mad? we would have to 2x or even 4x our current prices.

    when it comes to "parting" a dedi, then seems like SL takes the lead, LW in EU .

    What I see odd is that even the UK which has a small place has tons of options.

  2. #2
    Join Date
    Apr 2009
    Location
    Dallas/FortWorth TX
    Posts
    1,675
    I guess its all about comfort zone and buzz word "specially on WHT".
    IPStrada When uptime counts.
    Warren Buffet: Honesty is very expensive gift do not expect it from cheap people.

  3. #3
    Join Date
    May 2007
    Posts
    1,979
    seems like it

    LEB has similar stuff though

  4. #4
    Join Date
    Jan 2008
    Location
    Michigan
    Posts
    1,942
    There are plenty of 'creative' ways do VPS plans. However, I agree that many are in a race to the bottom with the same locations.
    BLAZINGSWITCH | sales /@/ blazingswitch.com
    SEO HOSTING | ARIN/RIPE/APNIC | 250+ CLASS-B | CLEAN IPv4 LEASING | 1G UNMETERED
    HIGH SPEED WEB HOSTING SOLUTIONS | ENTERPRISE GRADE HARDWARE

  5. #5
    Join Date
    Oct 2010
    Posts
    1,784
    I guess you want to be where the pipes are the fattest.
    Hosting is like a box of chocolates, you never know what you're gonna get.

  6. #6
    Join Date
    Nov 2009
    Location
    /etc/my.cnf
    Posts
    10,039
    Quote Originally Posted by elvis1 View Post
    If they colo:
    burst, Phoenix Nap, joes, HE, FDC. Mention 5-10 more places and its likely to cover around 65% of what we see .
    Because their budget places which attract budget clients

    If your selling 2GB VPS for $15 a month, You honestly think you could make ends meet by using $100 per month colo?

    Quote Originally Posted by TheJoker View Post
    I guess you want to be where the pipes are the fattest.
    What, Under my kitchen sink?

  7. #7
    Join Date
    Dec 2004
    Location
    New York, NY
    Posts
    10,574
    Quote Originally Posted by TheJoker View Post
    I guess you want to be where the pipes are the fattest.
    This doesn't always matter, especially when you're generally going to have either a 100mbps or 1000mbps uplink to your server. At that point it does not matter whether the facility has 50gbps or 200gbps of capacity, as long as the have enough capacity for your bandwidth needs (and the rest of their clients), with a good amount of overhead. Typically, this isn't a problem. It would be more important for them to be using quality network providers with good routes to your target audience.
    MediaLayer, LLC - www.medialayer.com Learn how we can make your website load faster, translating to better conversion rates for your business!
    The pioneers of optimized web hosting, featuring LiteSpeed Web Server & SSD Storage - Celebrating 10 Years in Business

  8. #8
    Join Date
    Oct 2010
    Posts
    1,784
    It would be more important for them to be using quality network providers with good routes to your target audience.
    Wouldn't that be in certain areas where the pipes are fattest? I know that's probably not true since you are MediaLayer and I don't know what the hell I'm talking about half the time, but it just makes sense to me.
    Hosting is like a box of chocolates, you never know what you're gonna get.

  9. #9
    Join Date
    Jul 2009
    Location
    New Zealand
    Posts
    2,320
    Quote Originally Posted by elvis1 View Post
    WHy most providers are "not creative" when choosing a location for their servers?

    Hi, where are your servers located?

    Its either

    If they colo:
    burst, Phoenix Nap, joes, HE, FDC. Mention 5-10 more places and its likely to cover around 65% of what we see .

    I understand that you have to seek cheap locations but diversity is also a selling point ( even if a bit more expensive)

    Do you have xen boxes?

    Xen??are you mad? we would have to 2x or even 4x our current prices.

    when it comes to "parting" a dedi, then seems like SL takes the lead, LW in EU .

    What I see odd is that even the UK which has a small place has tons of options.
    why? which location you want to see?
    QuickWeb™ -We Host Servers Like a Boss!
    New Zealand - USA - UK - Germany Virtual Servers
    Worldwide hosting provider with proven 24x7 and 25-Minute Support!
    www.quickweb.co.nz and GETVZ - Complete VPS Package with SSD Drive

  10. #10
    Join Date
    Dec 2004
    Location
    New York, NY
    Posts
    10,574
    Quote Originally Posted by TheJoker View Post
    Wouldn't that be in certain areas where the pipes are fattest? I know that's probably not true since you are MediaLayer and I don't know what the hell I'm talking about half the time, but it just makes sense to me.
    Maybe we are talking about two different things, but what I am basically saying is the actual capacity of the network does not matter too much. If they've got only say a couple of gigabits of connectivity (which isn't considered much these days), that's still enough to comfortably host a good amount of servers and serve plenty of customers.

    Consider a user who has a 20mbps connection from their ISP (and that's faster than an average user), and the server they are downloading from has a 100mbps uplink going into switch, ultimately leading to a gigabit (1000mbps) connection a carrier, the user with the 20mbps connection still has the potential to download at the maximum possible transfer rate. If the network had 10,000mbps connections to their carriers, it still wouldn't make a difference here. The only reason you'd need those types of connections if if you were actually serving enough users to justify it, but an individual user won't see a difference in performance unless the network was originally congested.
    MediaLayer, LLC - www.medialayer.com Learn how we can make your website load faster, translating to better conversion rates for your business!
    The pioneers of optimized web hosting, featuring LiteSpeed Web Server & SSD Storage - Celebrating 10 Years in Business

Similar Threads

  1. Hot Topic! Regarding "Stoo-pid" Customers and "Incompetent" Providers
    By UpdownUp in forum Running a Web Hosting Business
    Replies: 12
    Last Post: 04-20-2011, 09:25 AM
  2. Replies: 0
    Last Post: 10-09-2009, 10:38 AM
  3. Large price gap in "known" and "unknown" providers
    By Delta223 in forum Dedicated Server
    Replies: 4
    Last Post: 08-22-2009, 08:56 PM
  4. Replies: 8
    Last Post: 04-16-2009, 01:27 AM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •