Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Should I get this server?

I got an offer searching for a dedicated server. I don't know is it too cheap or medium or too low. So I thought i'd take your help to determine.
    Processor : Intel Xeon i7 W3520
    Frequency:2.66 GHz
    CPU Cores : 4
    Threads : 8
    Cache: 8MB L2 Cache
    QPI: 4.8 GT/sec
    Turbo Boost: Upto 2.93 GHz
    Architecture : 64 bits
    Virtualization : Instructions VT
    Memory : 24GB ECC DDR3 RAM
    Storage : 2 X 2TB SATA II
    RAID : Software RAID 0/1
    Data Transfer Rate : 3 gbps each
    Network Connection : Gigabit
    IPv4 : 1
    IPv6 : No (Max 64 available)
    Operating System : Linux (Inc All variants)/Windows/Solaris
    Bandwidth : Unmetered *
    Server Location : France

They are offering this server for $150/mo without setup fee. Do you think I should buy this one or recommend other host I can buy server with similar configuration for cheaper rate.

To tell you the truth, the rate given to you for this configuration and the BW which is unmetered is totally too CHEAP! I won't know any other Budget or Non-Budget host which would match that price. It's just way too cheap for anybody to be even thinking about it.
    Aaron Ong
    Dedicated Servers - 100TB Servers - 100Mbps Unmetered Servers - Web Hosting - CDN Network
    Servers in Central, East/West Coast USA, EUROPE and ASIA
    Welltodo Century
    - www.welltodocentury.com

May I know the provider who gave you that offer?

Hmm. That's dirt cheap. I wouldn't be surprised if next month their put of business or scam you

What are the unmetered* restrictions?

That's a OVH reseller. You don't have to buy from them, you can buy directly from OVH and get it for even cheaper.

http://ovh.ie
    http://ovh.co.uk
    or any one of their other sites depending on where you live.

The specs of the server are in the high-end tier, but the price begs the question about the reality of the offer. I'm almost waiting for the TV announcer to say, "But wait! If you call in the next 10 minutes, we'll double your offer. Just pay separate shipping and handling."

Caveat emptor!

great pricing for that, depending on your bandwidth requirements, you could be getting unmetered cogent. check out the host and its network upstreams.
    Richard Perez | PureWeb
    Dedicated Servers - cPanel Web Hosting - cPanel Reseller Hosting
    6 Nationwide Locations. 100% Network SLA. Established in 2007. True 24/7/365 Support.
    Follow us on Twitter: @purewebtech. Network POPS in: LAX - CHI - DFW - NYC - SEA - ATL

Quote Originally Posted by CraterHost View Post
    What are the unmetered* restrictions?
    20 TB / month then port speed reduced to 10Mbps.

Quote Originally Posted by chasebug View Post
    That's a OVH reseller. You don't have to buy from them, you can buy directly from OVH and get it for even cheaper.

http://ovh.ie
    http://ovh.co.uk
    or any one of their other sites depending on where you live.
    Yeah they are OVH reseller. But I can't get this cheaper with ovh coz this offer is nearly $16 cheaper than the original data-center.

Quote Originally Posted by Exigo Network View Post
    May I know the provider who gave you that offer?
    Yeah sure I got it from iriehost.com. The original price is said to be $300/mo but they are giving 50% off in 1st 10 servers. I use the coupon code "WHTSpecial" to get them. Just got one as I saw they are so cheap and I can get better server at cheaper price.

Quote Originally Posted by RapidServers_ View Post
    Hmm. That's dirt cheap. I wouldn't be surprised if next month their put of business or scam you
    I don't think it is scam coz OVH sells this server for about $20 more than this tag. So it is certain that they get it at cheaper price and selling for lower margin. I got one delivered tonight, it simply rocks. I feel it great. Highly recommended.

Be wary though - if the reseller disappears, chances are your server will be in limbo and your data will be lost. The incentive for them to stick around rises if they offer it a decent price. Pretty much applies to all resellers though i guess. *shrug* Just something to keep at the back of your mind.

Quote Originally Posted by Jamson View Post
    Be wary though - if the reseller disappears, chances are your server will be in limbo and your data will be lost. The incentive for them to stick around rises if they offer it a decent price. Pretty much applies to all resellers though i guess. *shrug* Just something to keep at the back of your mind.
    They are providing me support and control from the ovh.net website, and I can see that I have subscribed it for whole year. I I don't think they'll just disappear.

also, are you sure its a continous discount? and not just the first month?

Quote Originally Posted by mazedk View Post
    also, are you sure its a continuous discount? and not just the first month?
    Yes of course. According to them I can get this rates for max 5 years. So I simply made yearly payment and got it for $1680/yr. I am sure that this rates are for few years in future.

before placing the order dont forget to read tricky terms and conditions , if any.
    Web Hosting: Reliable inexpensive cPanel Web Hosting Offers
    █ Domain Registration: Register Domain names, Domain registration in India
    Reseller Hosting: Linux Reseller with cPanel/WHM and Domain Name
    █ Digital Certificates: SSL Certificates with Dedicated IP at no additional cost

Talking

Quote Originally Posted by caisc View Post
    before placing the order dont forget to read tricky terms and conditions , if any.
    Yeah thanx for advice ! But I found nothing tricky on their terms of services. One time OS installation and Control panel installation are free and we can buy additional services from them. In average the server is fast and connection is very dedicated. It's been two days I got this server and it is running very smooth. http://www.iriehost.com is providing very good services indeed.

You could have found better deals

Quote Originally Posted by ApocalypseXS View Post
    You could have found better deals
    Really ? I don't think. I have seen many more hosts and no one offered this cheaper servers with same configuration. Good support and stable servers ! I am fan of http://www.iriehost.com by now. If you think I could find better deal, I challenge you post the better deal here.

Please don't compare desktop grade hardware with server grade hardware. It shows result over time. And yes It is $20 expensive than what I got now. So this is not better deal,I guess.

The datacenter is a level 4 DC and you're getting 6 cores . I wouldn't care what type of hardware it was since those guys are known for rapid response times .

I might be wrong, but this thread smells to me. To ask for advise and then after almost every post advising to be careful you defend the "provider", like you've been with them for years. How good his hardware is, how great this offer is... it simply doesn't sound right.

The way you are posting this request is an obvious advertise. The fact that you are not mentioning the real traffic included with this offer describes the situation. You are just trying to get an attention for your offers.

Another point would be that you are named "server-guy" and yet you are asking for an opinion about a deal, even tho you said you know about OVH.

By the way, without even care to view the website of this "provider", I can tell for sure that they can not take their servers from OVH, cheaper than the real offers. If someone think that this is real, then he is fooling himself. There will be problems, I guarantee.

Quote Originally Posted by NikolayM View Post
    I might be wrong, but this thread smells to me. To ask for advise and then after almost every post advising to be careful you defend the "provider", like you've been with them for years. How good his hardware is, how great this offer is... it simply doesn't sound right.

The way you are posting this request is an obvious advertise. The fact that you are not mentioning the real traffic included with this offer describes the situation. You are just trying to get an attention for your offers.

Another point would be that you are named "server-guy" and yet you are asking for an opinion about a deal, even tho you said you know about OVH.

By the way, without even care to view the website of this "provider", I can tell for sure that they can not take their servers from OVH, cheaper than the real offers. If someone think that this is real, then he is fooling himself. There will be problems, I guarantee.
    Yeah I have been with them with their German servers past 6 months.
    I searched the whole web for cheaper offers and I found several offers which are similar to this. At last I decided to stay with them as they offered me 15days money back guarantee. I use these servers for selling as shared hosting so I named my username server-guy.
    Thx !

@server_guy,

Did you get any control panel with this package for free?

@eqbal
    They gave me an open source one, Webmin Panel. But I had cPanel installed because I had to resell them as shared hosting accounts

Quote Originally Posted by server-guy View Post
    I don't think it is scam coz OVH sells this server for about $20 more than this tag. So it is certain that they get it at cheaper price and selling for lower margin. I got one delivered tonight, it simply rocks. I feel it great. Highly recommended.
    If someone is selling OVH servers cheaper then OVH themselves then there is something fishy going on.
    OVH do not give reseller/bulk discounts, so its impossible the reseller is getting the server any cheaper then displayed on the OVH site.

BTW. I have hundreds of servers with OVH so I know.
    High Quality Web Hosting from Host Ultra
    Visit us online at www.hostultra.com

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast