Results 1 to 10 of 10
  1. #1

    Help with finding a reliable vps host

    Well it may be a bit embarrassing to make my first thread in a way like this. I currently have two shared hosting accounts, which have yet to reach their limits but Id like to trasnfer all domains/files to the new vps I am looking for. Also I have a vps hosting plan with pacifichost, which hosts my video sharing site and is by far the worst I've ever had. The site was slower than my shared hosting accounts, until I upgraded to litespeed server. The cost was $59.99 a month, but the site goes down like at least one per week(at times, it was 3 times a week). This is why I am quite hesitant choosing a new hosting plan, and I do need a bit help on this.

    As you may have learned from my previous experience above, uptime is perhaps the most important for me(thanks to pacifichost). I have a video sharing site, so FFMpeg is needed, but I barely have more than 5 videos uploaded by any users in a day, so server load is not supposed to be a problem. Disk storage, however, is better at above 100GB. The price I can offer is somewhere between $40 - $65, but I definitely dont mind if its slightly above $65. I do not really have much knowledge on how large CPU and bandwidth I may need for my hosting plan, so advices are appreciated. Customer service, well, I do not make a big deal out of this but it would be better if they have live chat.

    So any comments on this? I'd really appreciate your help, its been real hard for me to find an appropriate VPS server for myself...

  2. #2
    Join Date
    Jan 2008
    Location
    Edinburgh, United Kingdom
    Posts
    197
    1) Where do most of your users come from? Do you have a preferred server location?

    2) Are you okay to manage the server yourself (unmanaged), or would you prefer a managed solution?

    3) Do you have any recent bandwidth usage statistics you could provide so that we can find something with an appropriate amount of traffic for you?
    Theo Robertson | vividWire | Solid IT solutions for business
    vividWire VPS - Low-latency London, UK VPS based in Telehouse North, SSD RAID10 storage & KVM virtualisation
    vividWire Shared Hosting - Performance UK hosting with cPanel, CloudLinux, CloudFlare, 99.99% SLA

  3. #3
    Quote Originally Posted by CI-Theo View Post
    1) Where do most of your users come from? Do you have a preferred server location?

    2) Are you okay to manage the server yourself (unmanaged), or would you prefer a managed solution?

    3) Do you have any recent bandwidth usage statistics you could provide so that we can find something with an appropriate amount of traffic for you?
    1. Most of my users are from US, with a few from Canada, Europe and Australia. I definitely dont mind server location, even though US-companies are preferred.
    2. I would like to have a managed solution in this case, also WHM/Cpanel is needed.
    3. The monthly bandwidth usage on my two shared hosts are:
    Sharedhost 1: 21372.96 / ∞ MB
    Sharedhost 2: 1398.13 / ∞ MB
    Cant get the data from VPS host, since the site is currently suspended. This is totally nonsense though, since they accuse my site for causing server load but it barely has any activity.

  4. #4
    Join Date
    Sep 2004
    Location
    Miami, FL
    Posts
    2,762
    Just change to a better host, OP.

    There are TONs of offers available at the offer section. Try having a look there and if you're OK with the prices and all, given them a try by sending them an email and see how long they take to reply.

    That usually gives you a small idea of how long it's going to take and etc to get a reply.
    Aaron Ong
    Dedicated Servers - 100TB Servers - 100Mbps Unmetered Servers - Web Hosting - CDN Network
    Servers in Central, East/West Coast USA, EUROPE and ASIA
    Welltodo Century
    - www.welltodocentury.com

  5. #5
    Thank you so much. And btw do you think knownhost can handle video sharing site? This may be the one that uses most resources/disk space, or it can be my forum.

  6. #6
    Join Date
    Oct 2005
    Location
    Austin, TX
    Posts
    260
    Your VPS was moved to a new cloud-based system, the notification regarding it unfortuantely wasn't sent out to everyone for some reason. All you need to do is update your nameservers to point to the new IPs and you should never have any downtime ever again.
    Cody McLain
    Founder of PacificHost / AptHost

  7. #7
    Join Date
    Apr 2011
    Location
    Philippines
    Posts
    301
    Maybe you must try to update your nameservers first and if you still not satisfied with the new system then you may now change a host.

  8. #8
    Quote Originally Posted by NanoCow View Post
    Your VPS was moved to a new cloud-based system, the notification regarding it unfortuantely wasn't sent out to everyone for some reason. All you need to do is update your nameservers to point to the new IPs and you should never have any downtime ever again.
    I dunno if you get what I was saying. Pacifichost has been shutting down my site every now and then since I signed up for their services. At first my site has significant amount of traffic, so they had an excuse. However, starting from last October my site activity dropped considerably due to all these downtimes, and there has barely been one new video being uploaded to my site since January. Whats the excuse now? Server load? Dont get me wrong how can a site has server load issue when it barely has any visitors and activity?

    Perhaps you did have an enjoyable experience with pacifichost, but too bad what works for you may not work for me. Unless something dramatic happens in the next a few days/weeks, I will have to go for another vps.

  9. #9
    Join Date
    Oct 2005
    Location
    Austin, TX
    Posts
    260
    Do you have an open ticket ID I can look at?
    Cody McLain
    Founder of PacificHost / AptHost

  10. #10
    Quote Originally Posted by Hall of Famer View Post
    I dunno if you get what I was saying. Pacifichost has been shutting down my site every now and then since I signed up for their services. At first my site has significant amount of traffic, so they had an excuse. However, starting from last October my site activity dropped considerably due to all these downtimes, and there has barely been one new video being uploaded to my site since January. Whats the excuse now? Server load? Dont get me wrong how can a site has server load issue when it barely has any visitors and activity?

    Perhaps you did have an enjoyable experience with pacifichost, but too bad what works for you may not work for me. Unless something dramatic happens in the next a few days/weeks, I will have to go for another vps.
    It looks like he/she works for PacificHost... not just your average PacificHost customer .
    My personal blog -- rubiverse.net

Similar Threads

  1. Help finding a reliable shared UK host
    By Sam22 in forum Web Hosting
    Replies: 5
    Last Post: 10-25-2009, 09:32 PM
  2. Help Finding A Good Reliable Host
    By justbr8dy in forum Web Hosting
    Replies: 9
    Last Post: 01-21-2004, 06:11 PM
  3. Replies: 8
    Last Post: 08-06-2000, 09:50 AM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •