Email Hosting Only

Is anyone using email hosting only? I manage our web servers, but we really don't want to manage email. Are there hosting provides that can handle the email portion of our business only while still allowing us to connect via smtp and send messages from our application? If so, what companies have you all used?

Regards,
    Dave

Meglea Inc.

There a bunch of companies that do that. Google is a popular option. I use rackspace for that, and they're OK.

Quote Originally Posted by Question Everything View Post
    There a bunch of companies that do that. Google is a popular option. I use rackspace for that, and they're OK.
    Okay thanks. I'll check them out.

Do you want standard pop3/imap/smtp services, or more "advanced" (and expensive) MS-Exchange based mailboxes ?
    Rob Golding Astutium Ltd - UK based ICANN Accredited Domain Registrar - proud to accept BitCoins
    Buying Web Hosts and Domain Registrars Today @ hostacquisitions.co.uk
    UK Web Hosting | UK VPS | UK Dedicated Servers | ADSL/FTTC | Backup/DR | Cloud
    UK Colocation | Reseller Accounts | IPv6 Transit | Secondary MX | DNS | WHMCS Modules

Quote Originally Posted by othellotech View Post
    Do you want standard pop3/imap/smtp services, or more "advanced" (and expensive) MS-Exchange based mailboxes ?
    Standard imap/smtp. Web based access would be nice as well as the ability to connect from say outlook 2007 as imap. Also will need the ability to connect from my app to send email from php.

The only way you'll be able to connect natively from Outlook 2007 is to an Exchange server. For standard mail servers, it will imap.

Quote Originally Posted by centauricw View Post
    The only way you'll be able to connect natively from Outlook 2007 is to an Exchange server. For standard mail servers, it will imap.
    Outlook handles POP3 just fine (much better than it handles IMAP)
    Rob Golding Astutium Ltd - UK based ICANN Accredited Domain Registrar - proud to accept BitCoins
    UK Colocation | Reseller Accounts | IPv6 Transit | Secondary MX | DNS | WHMCS Modules

Check out rackspace.com they have both POP3 and MS Exchange at reasonable prices.

IF you want a very good Email Hosting Company my friend has setup an email hosting plan that is connected to the iPrimus Network and its one the best plans I have seen yet
    Resellerid.com
    Cheap & Powerfull Reseller Domain

RESELLERID.COM | Affordable Domain Solution
    Reseller your domain and making profit

you can register two kind of hosting , one is hosting is for email hosting and one hosting is for web hosting.
    I think i probably can make by all hosting provider unless they do not provide email hosting package.

Zimbra or Exchange are options

Hosted Zimbra is great, so is Hosted Exchange. Many companies offer one or the other, but only 1 or 2 offer both. Look for good pricing as well as features and functionality.

You can't got wrong with Google Apps for Business. Been using it for 3 years and haven't looked back once.

In fact, when we started using Google Apps for Business, it really changed the culture of how we communicate and work in a positive way. We were able to utilize Docs, Calendar, and Chat within the organization and when we added new accounts...things just worked.

We're currently doing a lot with Google Sites now too!

I use Sherweb for hosted email.
    simplywww: directadmin and cpanel hosting that will rock your socks
    Need some work done in a datacenter in the NYC area? NYC Remote Hands can do it.

Follow my "deals" Twitter for hardware specials.. @dougysdeals

Yes. There are providers that specialize in providing email hosting only. And this can be separated from the website hosting. I would recommend Google Apps is a strong choice for email hosting. They have one of the best SPAM filters in the industry. I have even heard that the Business (Paid) edition gives almost zero spam.
    Jweeb Solutions
    Singapore Web Consulting & Solutions
    Web Consulting - Web Hosting - Web Design & Development and more...
    http://www.jweeb.com.sg - Making the Web Simple!

Quote Originally Posted by jweeb View Post
    Yes. There are providers that specialize in providing email hosting only. And this can be separated from the website hosting. I would recommend Google Apps is a strong choice for email hosting. They have one of the best SPAM filters in the industry. I have even heard that the Business (Paid) edition gives almost zero spam.
    Yeah, nothing even comes close to Google's SPAM filter. Can't express in words how absolutely amazing it is.

We have problems with Google. Apparently, many of their smtp IPs are listed on RBL.

Quote Originally Posted by fancypocket View Post
    We have problems with Google. Apparently, many of their smtp IPs are listed on RBL.
    I haven't experienced that personally, but one of our clients had a similar issue. They were able to send an email to an address that showed up on the IPs WHOIS and got it resolved fairly quickly. In any case, I don't think that's something a prospective user should worry about.

PM me if you'd like for me to find out more tomorrow.

We host so don't really need to get anyone but I've used mxtoolbox.com for 3rd party dns to show customers results and noticed they do Zimbra hosting.

Quote Originally Posted by compITent View Post
    We host so don't really need to get anyone but I've used mxtoolbox.com for 3rd party dns to show customers results and noticed they do Zimbra hosting.
    Noticed who does Zimbra hosting?

Quote Originally Posted by sajanNOPPIX View Post
    Noticed who does Zimbra hosting?
    mxtoolbox.com click products in the upper menu

You'll throw large sum of money when using Exchange like hosted email services (Microsoft Exchange, Google Apps Business, Zimbra...), for a features that you don't need, like MAPI, ActiveSync, shared calendars, tasks, contacts...
    If you are only looking for standard smtp/pop/imap/webmail, Rackspace standard email hosting is what you need, and it costs 10 times less.

Do note, some hosted email providers won't like when you send automated email from e.g. php app.
    For that you might want relay service like authsmtp.com

Resell Email Hosting

If you resell email hosting, then all the work is powered by the provider. Hosted Exchange and Hosted Zimbra are great options.

Good Luck,

<<removed>>
    Last edited by sirius; 07-15-2011 at 11:03 AM.

Email Hosting Suggestion

Hi there - I use Infinity-Hosting.co.uk for my web hosting & email hosting. I know they do this as a seperate entity if required.

I have been with them a while now & never had any problems - unlike a couple of others & they are quite cheap aswell !

hope this helps )

Google apps works well, also 1and1 have some good email packages.

the infinity hosting site looks so fugly i wouldn't touch them with a long pole!

I'm looking for email only hosting which is sensibly priced and not US or UK based. The pricing i see everywhere is ridiculous and the storage limits low. and many times with no confidence on the provider (unknown small time)

10Gb simply is not enough when you receive several hundred emails a day.
    Pulsed Media: Seedbox hosting and Dedicated Servers for content distribution

Quote Originally Posted by Skal Tura View Post
    10Gb simply is not enough when you receive several hundred emails a day.
    I receive many thousands of emails a day, and the current mails, and sent mails, and all those i've auto-filed for the last 10 or so years only amounts to a total storage of 4Gb !

Quote Originally Posted by othellotech View Post
    I receive many thousands of emails a day, and the current mails, and sent mails, and all those i've auto-filed for the last 10 or so years only amounts to a total storage of 4Gb !
    Yours have way smaller average than mine then
    I got all kinds of stuff, even large .PSDs in my email, and i want to keep it all as last spot to check / to find fast.
    Pulsed Media: Seedbox hosting and Dedicated Servers for content distribution

Another vote for Google Apps here, couldn't imagine going back now...
    Twikam
    UK cPanel hosting Super fast UK shared hosting with IP's and SSL
    UK VPS Hosting High Bandwidth VPS Servers

Check google apps

I worked with some companies using the service and it seems reliable.

check:

polarismail: http://www.polarismail.com/

they have a very good and cheap service.

Also Tuffmail:

http://www.tuffmail.com/

Both have very good services.

roberto
    <<Please see rules for signature setup>>

i am only a website developer and dont have much idea about what ever you are speaking.. google for all your querries.

Use Gmail for email hosting. Completely free. I wrote this little guide:

Use Gmail With Your Own Branded Domain

1. Create an email in your cPanel/DA/whatever you use (example: [email protected])
    2. Create a new Gmail account. You can use a current one also (example: [email protected])
    3. Create a forward from your step 1 account to go to your step 2 account (example: [email protected] to [email protected])
    4. Login to Gmail
    5. In the top corner click your email and select Account Settings then Settings beside Gmail
    6. Under the Accounts and Import tab select the Send from a different address button
    7. Add the name you want to appear and the email address from step 1 then click next and Send through Gmail (easier to set up)
    8. They will send an email to that address. Go and confirm it is yours with whatever email account you used to set that up
    9. Go back to the Accounts and Import tab. Under that button you clicked earlier you will see "When replying to a message:" select Always reply from default address and select default beside that.
    10. You're done
    █ █ █

That sounds as a common forwarder, it does not work as a separated mail server. The mx record will still point to the same server where the site is hosted (cpanel default) and the mta will be running also there.
    I think what is wanted here is an off site mail server configuration.
    Ultimate Server Mangement Quality Afordable Server Management
    24/7/365 Support
    Check my Profile

I really like using Google for mail hosting..