Is this idea trash or a good advertising?

Hello,
    I want to increase the customerbase of our services and I thought it's cool if they get a little freebie:
    Webspace:
    2 GB Space
    10 GB Traffic
    Cpanel
    To get this I thought they need to advertise 2 people, which use one of our services. Domain need to be purchased by them, no subdomain included.

Any suggestion, if this is a good deal for them or bad for us or any suggestions?

I think a proper affiliate payout system would be better.

The services are both free, we do not make money from it.

Quote Originally Posted by warg View Post
    The services are both free, we do not make money from it.
    From my experience, offering free web hosting never really pans out all that well. More than likely you will only attract spammers and abusers looking to exploit your server.
    Need Web Hosting? Click Here to Learn Why You Should Switch To FernGullyGraphics
    FernGullyGraphics --- 426 14th St. Suite #115 --- Modesto, California --- 95354

Need Business Cards? Click Here

Do you have a better idea for more customers? Local advertisement isn't able.
    Last edited by warg; 05-22-2011 at 08:14 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by FernGullyGraphics View Post
    From my experience, offering free web hosting never really pans out all that well. More than likely you will only attract spammers and abusers looking to exploit your server.
    I second that.

There is no money in free. Not to say I didn't learn alot from it but I made to this day 0 dollars from it (and probably lost some)
    Andrew Anderson
    Sales Manager
    NerdyHost.com

Quote Originally Posted by $alesMan View Post
    I second that.

There is no money in free. Not to say I didn't learn alot from it but I made to this day 0 dollars from it (and probably lost some)
    Or if you are going to offer free services, at least make them pay a one-time fee of $1 dollar to verify their info (that should at least detour some of the fraud and abuse).

Still, I think offering free web hosting, with the intention of eventually making money off of those clients is a very bad idea.
    Need Web Hosting? Click Here to Learn Why You Should Switch To FernGullyGraphics
    FernGullyGraphics --- 426 14th St. Suite #115 --- Modesto, California --- 95354

Need Business Cards? Click Here

Quote Originally Posted by FernGullyGraphics View Post
    Or if you are going to offer free services, at least make them pay a one-time fee of $1 dollar to verify their info (that should at least detour some of the fraud and abuse).
    I do this for another host so Free - Paid. It works well.

If you have the financial liquidity and not bothered about immediate returns from your business, freebies are cool strategy. However, you need to maintain the quality of service to make the customers persistant with your service. Thats the challenge.

free is never a good idea for small business, some free add-ons with some paid stuff is better

The difference is:
    We offer some services and one of this service needs more customer. That service is free and stays free - it's not thought for make money.

We offer some free services but we manually review them on the free plans to prevent against fraud. Although we also use Maxmind which is very good.

Quote Originally Posted by warg View Post
    The difference is:
    We offer some services and one of this service needs more customer. That service is free and stays free - it's not thought for make money.
    You're only attract spammers if you will always offer free.