What kind of hosting will I need?

Hey all,
    I have a question. I was asked about what kind of hosting is required to run a website that can host to up to 100,000 simultaneous users accessing the MySQL. (Logging in, Registering, etc...). The website is for live streaming. The stream will end up going through a CDN.

What is needed from the host is the following:
    MySQL
    Apache
    Something like a Wowza media server or flash media server.

Let me know if there is any other info that you need from me.

There is no real limit on budget.

Thanks
    -Lars

Both Wowza and Adobe have hardware specifications noted, check their web sites and user manuals.

Quote Originally Posted by Larsk View Post
    Hey all,
    I have a question. I was asked about what kind of hosting is required to run a website that can host to up to 100,000 simultaneous users accessing the MySQL. (Logging in, Registering, etc...). The website is for live streaming. The stream will end up going through a CDN.

MySQL
    Apache

Let me know if there is any other info that you need from me.

There is no real limit on budget.

Thanks
    -Lars
    I would suggest some kind of high end dedicated server.

Quad-Core
    12GB ram.
    Good quality-raid device.

MySQL
    Apache
    MySQL and Apache are pretty standard everywhere.

But you won't find wowza or flash media server in shared hosting.

If budget is not very restrictive, a mid to high end dedicated server would server you nicely. It will have to "managed" so that the OS side of things is taken care of.
    KiloServe Hosting - 48 Core Nodes and specializing in high disk I/O VPS
    www.KiloServe.com Providing Quality Hosting since 2007
    Specializing in Dedicated Servers, OpenVZ VPS, Xen VPS, and Windows VPS.

As you said that there is no limit of budget so You should be looking at a high end dedicated server.
    Aniqa - Support Representative
    █ WooServers - Affordable, Fast & Reliable Servers
    █ 24/7/365 Premium Monitoring & Highly Qualified Staff!
    █ WooServers.com | cPanel Dedicated Server | European Dedicated Servers

Hey all,
    Thanks for your quick replies.
    If I were to do something like the following would it be able to handle 100,000 simultaneous users? I have to be fairly certain that it can. I cant have it go down in the middle of a live stream because it cant handle the payload.

Processor: Intel Dual Xeon E5645 Hexa Core (Westmere)
    RAM: 8GB DDR3 SDRAM
    HD1: 4 x SATA RAID 10 (7,200 rpm) (+500 GB 7200 RPM SATA hard drive)
    SSD: No SSD Drive
    HD2: SATA Backup Drive (+500 GB SATA (7,200 rpm))
    GUARD: No Remote Backup Needed
    ControlPanel: cPanel/ Web Host Manager - Fully Managed (+Server Secure)
    Bandwidth: 10000GB Monthly Transfer (5000 in + 5000out) (+Gigabit Uplink port)

Thanks
    -Lars

Well yes. You must transfer to a dedicated server .

Hey all,
    Thanks for your quick replies.
    If I were to do something like the following would it be able to handle 100,000 simultaneous users? I have to be fairly certain that it can. I cant have it go down in the middle of a live stream because it cant handle the payload.

Processor: Intel Dual Xeon E5645 Hexa Core (Westmere)
    RAM: 8GB DDR3 SDRAM
    HD1: 4 x SATA RAID 10 (7,200 rpm) (+500 GB 7200 RPM SATA hard drive)
    SSD: No SSD Drive
    HD2: SATA Backup Drive (+500 GB SATA (7,200 rpm))
    GUARD: No Remote Backup Needed
    ControlPanel: cPanel/ Web Host Manager - Fully Managed (+Server Secure)
    Bandwidth: 10000GB Monthly Transfer (5000 in + 5000out) (+Gigabit Uplink port)

Thanks
    -Lars
    Really now, no one is going to be able to tell you, with any authority, whether or not those specs will handle your application with 100,000 users. Apparently you do not understand your application so it seems that hiring someone who does (or can figure it out or understand hardware requirements when they read them) would be the step to carry out now.

You are putting the proverbial cart before the horse.

Do you really mean simultaneous users?

Since you have no idea of the requirements, Amazon's EC2 with auto scaling would be the type of thing to look for but you will still need someone who understands what they are doing to accomplish anything efficiently.
    Last edited by srfreeman; 05-22-2011 at 01:23 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by srfreeman View Post
    Really now, no one is going to be able to tell you, with any authority, whether or not those specs will handle your application with 100,000 users. Apparently you do not understand your application so it seems that hiring someone who does (or can figure it out or understand hardware requirements when they read them) would be the step to carry out now.

You are putting the proverbial cart before the horse.

Do you really mean simultaneous users?

Since you have no idea of the requirements, Amazon's EC2 with auto scaling would be the type of thing to look for but you will still need someone who understands what they are doing to accomplish anything efficiently.
    I am new to hosting. I was asked by someone to try and figure out what kind of hosting requirements are going to be needed. If there is any specific information you need to know to help me out please let me know I will probably be able to get you an answer for that.

Yes I do mean simultaneous. There is a very high chance that at certain points there will be close to, if not more than, 100,000 users on at one time.

Like I said let me know if you need specific information to help me out.

Thanks
    -Lars

I am new to hosting. I was asked by someone to try and figure out what kind of hosting requirements are going to be needed. If there is any specific information you need to know to help me out please let me know I will probably be able to get you an answer for that.

Yes I do mean simultaneous. There is a very high chance that at certain points there will be close to, if not more than, 100,000 users on at one time.

Thanks
    -Lars
    I doubt many of us have actual hands-on experience with 100,000 simultaneous users. It will be hard to get a recommendation that you can rely on here.

I would check with some of the larger providers, such as vip.wordpress.com (they host numerous large sites streaming video such as CNN, flickr, and Nettuts), or a cloud services provider such as Amazon, Linode or Rackspace (see this Ars Technica article for one review of them).

Thanks
    -Lars
    Have you chosen the application to be used?

If it is a readily available application, have you read and do you understand the hardware requirements from the application provider?

Do you have any knowledge of clustering or scaling in reference to network architecture?

Have you spoke with the support team / visited the forums for your selected application?

Simultaneous users would seem to be users that are requiring the same programming call at the same time (clicking the same button / link at the same time), not just viewing the site at the same time. Simultaneous viewers of a live stream is something different.

A possible example of what you are requiring would be livestream.com (Wowza customer), touted as the most powerful video broadcast platform on the Internet and the only one that I have seen advertise the ability to have 100,000 simultaneous viewers of a single stream. Is this the type of installation you are speaking of?

I manage a forum that has about 315k registered users... most of the time only 1000-3000 are online at once. Now, viewing images and reading posts uses significantly less bandwidth as live streaming would. BUT, you are going to need multiple servers to properly manage this load. You need to work with a company who has experience is large scale site deployment so you start off on the right foot.

off the cuff i would suggest ~6 servers, master database server, slave database server, 2 front end webservers, 1 or 2 flash servers and a stats server so you know what's going on.

my .02