how to spilt the dedicated server into windows and linux?

how to spilt the dedicated server into windows and linux? remotely

do i get a windows server , than install vmware?

or any other way, get linux than after that install windows? how

thanks

the most cost efficient way, both sharing the same ram ,etc, for personal use

You need some sort of virutalization software. VMware, Xenserver, Proxmox etc.

I'm already doing this :-) Put Linux on the physical machine, whichever distro you prefer (I'm using CentOS). Then install VMware Server 2 for Linux. Then create a virtual machine for your Windows server.

The reason I'm using Linux on the host system is so it can firewall the Windows guest system. Linux and Windows are connected on a host-only virtual network. Linux handles the NAT routing and port forwarding to the Windows server via iptables. The setup works well and is very stable.

can that be done on openvz vps too? or only dedicated

most of all, all these can be done remotely correct

thanks

how much ram is recommended for this setup to be stable

No. VMware Server has to have access to the hardware. It has to be a dedicated server.

Quote Originally Posted by centauricw View Post
    I'm already doing this :-) Put Linux on the physical machine, whichever distro you prefer (I'm using CentOS). Then install VMware Server 2 for Linux. Then create a virtual machine for your Windows server.

The reason I'm using Linux on the host system is so it can firewall the Windows guest system. Linux and Windows are connected on a host-only virtual network. Linux handles the NAT routing and port forwarding to the Windows server via iptables. The setup works well and is very stable.
    one vote for you

The reason I'm using Linux on the host system is so it can firewall the Windows guest system
    If you NAT would that not cause the Windows server to get a LAN IP (which could affect some services). And it would be troublesome for the Admin on the Windows side to ask the Linux side to unblock some ports. Or the Windows Admin scratch his head over why ping didn't work.

Personally I would prefer Linux Guest on Windows Host just because of better driver compatibility.

The big advantage of having a Linux host and a Windows guest is security. The ability of iptables to create a secure firewall is vastly superior to anything Windows can do. True, the Windows guest has a private IP on the host-only virtual network, but this presents absolutely no problem. It also reduces it's overall exposer on the Internet. I have multiple public IP addresses on my Linux host and dedicate one for public services on the Windows guest. Traffic on the allowed ports is port-forwarded by iptables to the Windows guest.

As for driver compatibly, it's a server! No video, no sound, no DVD/CD burner, no web cam, no weird works-only-with-Windows bleedly-edge hardware. Windows shines on the desktop, but rack it into a data center and it looses nearly all of it's razzle dazzle. Linux is rock-solid as a server and it's much lighter on the system resources than Windows, allowing more CPU and memory for virtual guests. And because servers favor older and more reliable hardware than bleeding-edge desktops, Linux actually has better driver support since you don't have to depend on the vendor for security and performance fixes.

Also, I speak fluent Linux and Windows, so I administer both servers :-) The setup works flawlessly. And when I install Windows updates, I don't have to reboot Linux because Windows is the guest OS. If Windows was the host OS, then you'll be reboot both servers ever month.

centauricw,
    Would you please elaborate on your linux host/windows vm setup, primarily on the ip tables/host only vmware network stuff?
    I'm in the process of setting up a system similar to your setup but could use a little direction on the network configuration. Basically, I've got a Debian Lenny install running VMWare Server 2 with a Windows 2008 server that is running IIS serving about 25 unique sites in IIS with 5 unqiue IP addresses, 4 being used for single sites that use SSL and the 5th being shared using host headers.
    Any pointers/help you can provide would be great and feel free to PM me.
    Thanks,
    Brent