Question Anyone a VPS.Net reseller?

I'm in the process of testing the VPS.Net module for WHMCS.

I have a few questions since I think I'm moving back to the stable WHMCS version.

In the WHMCS version of the module do I have to create a configurable option for each Cloud Template? Isn't there a way to do this via API in case templates are added or changed at VPS.Net?

In the VPS.Net version, it doesn't look like you get to choose your Cloud Template until after you've purchased your node (I could be wrong). So does the WHMCS version send this info to VPS.Net via API and the template is loaded to the node?

How am I supposed to decipher where each SLC Zone is physically located so I can make it clear during checkout?

This is something I'd also been looking into... but I'm not entirely sure how it all works with VPS.net.

Quote Originally Posted by radium1200 View Post
    I'm in the process of testing the VPS.Net module for WHMCS.

I have a few questions since I think I'm moving back to the stable WHMCS version.

In the WHMCS version of the module do I have to create a configurable option for each Cloud Template? Isn't there a way to do this via API in case templates are added or changed at VPS.Net?

In the VPS.Net version, it doesn't look like you get to choose your Cloud Template until after you've purchased your node (I could be wrong). So does the WHMCS version send this info to VPS.Net via API and the template is loaded to the node?

How am I supposed to decipher where each SLC Zone is physically located so I can make it clear during checkout?
    With the module you do need to setup each configurable option. It's rather tedious, which is why we're building a completely white label control panel that'll be managed by us. It'll also allow our resellers to finally be able to offer their clients a true control panel option, rather than the current modules that have been built out for a couple of the different billing programs (Blesta, CannyBill, HostBill, WHMCS). We hope to have the white label control panel available VERY soon... or at least I do, as the reseller manager. We'll keep all our current resellers updated on how progress is moving.

You're right in that you don't choose the template until AFTER you've purchased the nodes. It works this same way on our site. This is because both you and your clients are able to purchase multiple nodes at once, and also create multiple VPS out of that. Many of our clients and reseller clients will use this to do something like create both a Windows and Linux VPS, or we've been seeing a lot of people purchase 10+ nodes, creating a Windows cluster consisting of multiple VPS, and then use Enkompass to "manage" the servers and provide a control panel for their clients.

Each SLC (Salt Lake City) zone is in the same datacenter - we have multiple zones/clouds separated for a couple of different reasons, the biggest being to avoid a complete location wide outage. If I recall, you were asking our Chicago datacenter, so you would want to use our USA Central option and then choose Chicago. Our Chicago clouds are in separate datacenters. Chicago Cloud A is in Continuum, while B, C, & D are in DuPont Fabros.

If you have any other questions, feel free to drop me a line at terry(at)vps.net or our forum has quite a few people who are pretty experiencing with setting up shop as a reseller, so you may want to check that out. Things are a bit quiet there lately as our new site design de-emphasized the forum, but I'm working to rejuvenate the best I can!
    Last edited by IGobyTerry; 05-20-2011 at 11:49 PM.

Huh, very informative post, Terry!

I'll definitely look into this. I do have one question, though:

Your comment of white-label control panel sounds like as if you intend to allow resellers to hook into it with WHMCS or something similar.

Sounds like if that's the case, it wouldn't take much to change... (HAH!) for you guys.

I'm going to wander over to the forum and check out what's what and see if I can't shift customers over to your platform. I don't know yet, though... out of curiosity: Are you going to allow resellers to choose any zones as it were, and resell from those zones?

Quote Originally Posted by Keiro View Post
    Huh, very informative post, Terry!

I'll definitely look into this. I do have one question, though:

Your comment of white-label control panel sounds like as if you intend to allow resellers to hook into it with WHMCS or something similar.

Sounds like if that's the case, it wouldn't take much to change... (HAH!) for you guys.

I'm going to wander over to the forum and check out what's what and see if I can't shift customers over to your platform. I don't know yet, though... out of curiosity: Are you going to allow resellers to choose any zones as it were, and resell from those zones?
    The white label control panel will actually look and act like our VPS.NET control panel is, tying directly into OnApp for VPS provisioning/upgrades... etc, only there will be a multi-level user setup. Think of it kind of like how WHM/cPanel is setup. You're able to login see all your client's servers, and then your clients are able to login and also manage their stuff, without ever knowing VPS.NET is involved.

Our resellers will always have the ability to resell our full product line, meaning every location we offer, and any additional services, like Level3 CDN.

Awesome, that makes VPS.net a very compelling option. I may very well sign up and check it out, then. And maybe even migrate all of my customers on VPSes over to this platform.

Thanks for the info Terry. I'll be ready for your white label control panel.

When a Cloud Template is bought with the WHMCS module, is it automatically set up on the VPS.Net side via API?

Thanks for the info Terry. I'll be ready for your white label control panel.

When a Cloud Template is bought with the WHMCS module, is it automatically set up on the VPS.Net side via API?
    Once your user chooses the location, and template they want, the VPS is automatically setup. You are able to selectively limit your users to locations and templates (i.e. Chicago with CentOS only).

I actually built a completely white-label control panel using the VPS.Net API for another company that the company never took as they were bought out. I might be able to dig it out. If I can, I'll see if I can open-source it.

I'll need to work with a designer on it, though -- it uses a design from ThemeForest and I didn't get it with redistributable rights.
    Matthew Rosenblatt, and I do lots of things.
    Currently a Master Electrician on Broadway.
    My company, BurstAV, specializes in A/V Systems Design and integration.
    I also own ConcertCables. We build power/data cables for the entertainment industry.

Quote Originally Posted by Matt R View Post
    I actually built a completely white-label control panel using the VPS.Net API for another company that the company never took as they were bought out. I might be able to dig it out. If I can, I'll see if I can open-source it.

I'll need to work with a designer on it, though -- it uses a design from ThemeForest and I didn't get it with redistributable rights.
    Definitely interested in this. I use Joomla, WHMCS and J!WHMCS Integrator to theme the client area. I might not need much on the design side unless there is a slider or other proprietary components.

Any luck Matt?

Dear Terry,

I talked to you on reseller program tonight on Live Chat and then found this topic on Google. Could you please advise me on the billing issue told you there?

The issue is that if one of customers pays late or stop payment forever without informing us or canceling his/her account, we can only suspend his control panel account on our site and shut down his/her severs. But we will be billed yet by VPS.Net for all nodes of our customers even if they stop using our service. Even if they cancel their account, we may have been already billed for their nodes. Additionally, the customer may not consider for cancellation but his/her credit card be declined. So in all these cases we may be billed before getting paid by our customers.

At the moment this issue is one of our biggest concerns in our business plan.

Any idea will be highly appreciate!
    Last edited by r9host; 06-16-2011 at 06:06 PM.

That's exactly how every other reseller system works doesn't it? That's just normal business... If our customers don't pay for their hosting, we still have to pay our colo bills.

Dear forasse,

I think the case of VPS.Net is a little different. Let's say you have a dedicated server and you pay $200 every month. You have also 30 shared hosting clients each of which pay you $10/month in average. So averagely, you get $300 normally every month. Now if one or two or even 5 clients don't pay their invoices on time, you are in the profit yet as you get $250 and pay $200.

But in the case of VPS.NET reseller, you have a credit card on the file. Now you setup your API key and design your website in the way that automatically setups the VPSes for your customer when they sign up just like VPS.NET itself. When a client signs up on your site, VPS.NET charges you for the nodes the client requests and in this way you are in the process of automatic node retail as both your purchasing and selling processes are automated.

Now when a client don't pay for his/her monthly invoice, you are billed for his/her nodes and they charge cost to your credit card directly. This is just like a business in which you buy something and sell it for totally free. The only thing you can do is to suspend the client's acount on your site and shut down all server under the account. But you cannot stop being billed for the nodes of the client.

I hope you have got my point. If I find a solution for this matter I will start reselling very shortly.

All ideas are welcomed.
    Last edited by r9host; 06-17-2011 at 05:20 AM.

Hi.

It seems it's high-risk billing issue and nobody here knows how avoid this. I am really wondering how other resellers are working. How they manage such risks? May be this is just my weakness in business planning but I need to solve it as I think I can count on this plan as a revolution in web hosting market of my country.

I hope someone can help.

All with best regards!

I get your point, but it doesn't seem any different than normal business risk. What if you were reselling dedicated servers? You'd still be on the hook for the server regardless of whether or not your customer pays for it. Your upstream will not, and should not care whether or not your customer pays for it or not. Simply because you are comparing it to Shared Hosting doesn't mean the two are comparable in terms of risk.

Quote Originally Posted by forasse View Post
    I get your point, but it doesn't seem any different than normal business risk. What if you were reselling dedicated servers? You'd still be on the hook for the server regardless of whether or not your customer pays for it. Your upstream will not, and should not care whether or not your customer pays for it or not. Simply because you are comparing it to Shared Hosting doesn't mean the two are comparable in terms of risk.
    You are right. But there should be a way to manage the risk. So if we cannot avoid it totally, we should be able to manage or lower it and I want to know it. I understand that every business has number of risks but all should be managed if cannot be avoided.

Many Thanks.
    Last edited by r9host; 06-17-2011 at 11:06 AM.

I would say the only way to manage that risk is to average cost the price of your nodes much like you described your shared hosting environment. If you've got 100 nodes, and 1 of them doesn't pay, the loss of that node in terms of cost would be immaterial to you. You of course, will not be able to reach that point until you get a decent number of nodes/clients.

Dear forasse,

Based on what you said, this business at first stages may cause loss instead of profit.

Are reselling vps.net nodes by yourself now? It would be great if you share your experience (success or unsuccess).

Many Thanks.

Quote Originally Posted by pijaweb View Post
    Based on what you said, this business at first stages may cause loss instead of profit.
    Welcome to the business world

Quote Originally Posted by pijaweb View Post
    Are reselling vps.net nodes by yourself now? It would be great if you share your experience (success or unsuccess).
    No I am not, but it is really irrelevant. What you are describing is the web hosting reseller business model which is not limited to VPS.net

Ok. Thanks a lot for your discussion. I hope I can reach a success point in this new business.

Many Thanks.

Just ran into my first fraudulent order with the WHMCS VPS.Net plugin. The fraudster was able to buy a node and upgrade to 2 nodes. Guess who had to pay for the nodes? All me, love it. Maxmind flagged the orders as fraudulent, but the WHMCS VPS.Net plugin lets the orders roll right through.

Can't believe this hasn't been fixed yet.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails 1st_order.gif   2nd_order.gif   vps_net_nodes.gif  

Hi.

I am going to use HostBill. I hope there was no issue with its builtin VPS.NET plugin. But yet I have trouble with the financial part of my plan. I pay all my invoices on 9th of each month. If a client sign up for a node on e.g 3th. VPS.NET will prorate for the new node for 6 days and then will invoice it completely on 9th. Then client will pay me on 3th of each month. At this it will cause a loose of that prorated amount for me. If he/she stops paying, I can just suspend his server and cannot totally delete it. He/She may pay his invoice at late and I don't loose the fee of his node but if stops paying without any information and without canceling his account, then I will need to pay the fee for his node and so it will make a big loose then.

I don't really know how to regulate this issue. If you have any better idea please share it with me.

Best Regards.

Maxmind flagged the orders as fraudulent, but the WHMCS VPS.Net plugin lets the orders roll right through.
    This isn't a known issue. What does Utilities > Activity Log show?
    If there's no clue there please open a support ticket.
    WHMCompleteSolution
    The Complete Client Management, Billing & Support System
    www.whmcs.com

Here's the activity log, but I should have mentioned that this is not the native WHMCS VPS.Net plugin. This is the plugin that VPS.Net released for WHMCS here.

09/03/2011 06:31
    Upgrade Order Placed - Order ID: 112

Email Sent to Wade Broberg (Order Confirmation)

Automatic Product/Service Upgrade Successful - Service ID: 83

Module Upgrade/Downgrade Successful - Service ID: 83

Automatic Product/Service Upgrade Successful - Service ID: 83

Module Upgrade/Downgrade Successful - Service ID: 83

09/03/2011 06:28
    Order ID 111 Failed Fraud Check

09/03/2011 06:28
    Order ID 111 Skipped Fraud Check due to Already Active Orders

09/03/2011 06:26
    Order ID 111 Fraud Check Awaiting User Input

Order ID 111 Fraud Check Initiated

Order ID 111 Skipped Fraud Check due to Already Active Orders

Updated Stored Credit Card Details - User ID: 86

Email Sent to xxxxxx (Order Confirmation)

Created Invoice - Invoice ID: 296

New Order Placed - Order ID: 111 - User ID: 86

Email Sent to xxxxxx (Welcome)

Created Client xxxxxx - User ID: 86

It looks like the fraud check is being totally skipped simply because there's another "active" order -- what's the modules definition of active?
    Matthew Rosenblatt, and I do lots of things.
    Currently a Master Electrician on Broadway.
    My company, BurstAV, specializes in A/V Systems Design and integration.
    I also own ConcertCables. We build power/data cables for the entertainment industry.

Quote Originally Posted by Matt R View Post
    It looks like the fraud check is being totally skipped simply because there's another "active" order -- what's the modules definition of active?
    I'm not sure. VPS.Net assured me that I have not configured WHMCS properly though.