Thread: Ram & CPU usage

Ram & CPU usage

Hi everybody!
    First of all, I'm very sorry for my poor english, I hope I'll be able to explain the situation.

My problem began some days ago... when I came home from work I found out that my website was unreachable. My host suspended my site claiming that it overloaded their server. When I asked for more information, they said that I was using an amount of 6ghz of CPU (22%) and 11 Gib (in 3 days) of physical ram
    My website has a few html pages, a coppermine gallery with about 400 pics, and a phpbb3 forum with about 2000 users (only 30-40 are active users), 150000 posts, 10000 topics. Both coppermine and phpbb are up to date.

Is it really possible that my site overloaded the server?
    I don't have any possibility to check the ram and cpu usage through my plesk control panel...
    I asked to my host if they could tell me what exactly had caused the problem, but they don't know. The only solution they suggested, was to upgrade my hosting.
    After a day or two they reactivated my site (temporarly) to let me discover and solve the problem... So, is there anything I can do to test the performance of my website?

Quote Originally Posted by cento View Post
    I asked to my host if they could tell me what exactly had caused the problem, but they don't know.
    That to me sounds fishy, If they dont know what exactly caused the problem then how do they know it was you who caused the problem in the first place.

Who is your host?

After a day or two they reactivated my site (temporarly) to let me discover and solve the problem...
    I would start by optimizing your mysql
    UK Based Proactive Server Management.
    Zabbix Enterprise 24/7 Monitoring.

my host is vhosting-it.com

ask them to give some logs (process log) to proof the usage.
    Looking for shared or reseller or VPS Hosting ?
    Try our service at https://www.sosys.net!
    Singapore - Indonesia - Malaysia

Hi everybody!
    First of all, I'm very sorry for my poor english, I hope I'll be able to explain the situation.

My problem began some days ago... when I came home from work I found out that my website was unreachable. My host suspended my site claiming that it overloaded their server. When I asked for more information, they said that I was using an amount of 6ghz of CPU (22%) and 11 Gib (in 3 days) of physical ram
    My website has a few html pages, a coppermine gallery with about 400 pics, and a phpbb3 forum with about 2000 users (only 30-40 are active users), 150000 posts, 10000 topics. Both coppermine and phpbb are up to date.

Is it really possible that my site overloaded the server?
    I don't have any possibility to check the ram and cpu usage through my plesk control panel...
    I asked to my host if they could tell me what exactly had caused the problem, but they don't know. The only solution they suggested, was to upgrade my hosting.
    After a day or two they reactivated my site (temporarly) to let me discover and solve the problem... So, is there anything I can do to test the performance of my website?

Ask them to provide the data which shows the usage. Then only upgrade your plan if it really required.
    I was born Intelligent but Education ruined me

It definitely sounds like you might need to start looking into possibly upgrading to a VPS, that's a pretty decent sized forum you have.
    Looking for an awesome VPS Offer? CLICK HERE

"Knowing is not enough, we must apply. Willing is not enough, we must do." – Bruce Lee

phpbb3 forum with about 2000 users (only 30-40 are active users), 150000 posts, 10000 topics. Both coppermine and phpbb are up to date.
    150,000 posts + phpbb3 will probably not be well received on a low end shared hosting plan.

I am guessing you will need to upgrade.
    KiloServe Hosting - 48 Core Nodes and specializing in high disk I/O VPS
    www.KiloServe.com Providing Quality Hosting since 2007
    Specializing in Dedicated Servers, OpenVZ VPS, Xen VPS, and Windows VPS.

I would say start by asking the host for logs and optimize the database queries
    Serverfruit - awesome cPanel hosting!
    Bacon forever!

That is a very large database. Make sure you have your phpBB configured for shared hosting in regards to robots, search functions, etc. Your database is pretty large and you have probably outgrown shared hosting.

Quote Originally Posted by FernGullyGraphics View Post
    It definitely sounds like you might need to start looking into possibly upgrading to a VPS
    I dont't think I have enough knowledge for a VPS
    Not to consider the budget... my site is a non-commercial one, and I don't make any profit from it, so my budget is very limited

I dont't think I have enough knowledge for a VPS
    Not to consider the budget... my site is a non-commercial one, and I don't make any profit from it, so my budget is very limited
    well it definitely sounds like your site is getting a pretty good amount of traffic, perhaps its time to start looking at ways to monetize your website (selling ad space..ect) to offset the costs of web hosting?
    Looking for an awesome VPS Offer? CLICK HERE

"Knowing is not enough, we must apply. Willing is not enough, we must do." – Bruce Lee