Large bandwidth - Shared hosting question

I have a "how to" video site It is currently hosted by a well known reputable host offering "unlimited bandwidth"

After much prodding they told me that there is in fact a limitation but its not on bandwidth. The limitation is based on the total load on the shared server. That once the server reaches 80% of its capacity, the site with the largest portion of the load gets suspended. The suspension is immediate and a e-mail is sent to the webmaster/owner informing them that the site is down. Once the problem is "rectified", it goes right back to live.

The control panel shows "CPU Usage 0.3%" (at the 20th of the month; I know not what that means).

The site has run up to 323 GB a month. Never any kind of notice from them.

The cost for hosting runs $50 per year. So my cost is $.013 per GB. Amazon charges $.15 per GB; at least to small users like me. So this hosting is quite a good deal. I do understand that Amazon offers a better quality of delivery, but what I have is plenty good enough.

The point of this post is that I expect an enormous increase in volume. (A sample video is going on youtube). So the host might cut me off, which of course is not good, but an hour offline would not be terrible. What is the best strategy to handle it.

For example, I could buy another (one/two/or more) hosting packages from the same/other host on different IPs, and divide up the videos between them.

Beyond this I am in way over my head, and need advice.

Thanks in advance.
    Cheers
    Larry Weiss

Instead of buying several shared hosting packages, you can invest in your own dedicated server. It's the best option for video streaming sites.
    Aniqa - Support Representative
    █ WooServers - Affordable, Fast & Reliable Servers
    █ 24/7/365 Premium Monitoring & Highly Qualified Staff!
    █ WooServers.com | cPanel Dedicated Server | European Dedicated Servers

Yup, that is very right. Look for a high powered dedicated server on WHT's offer section. You can find alot of good deals there. I have a friend who owns a viral MP3 site and he never relied on a shared hosting as most of us knows that it will me killed in no time once your traffic kicks in.
    Extreme SEO Philippines - Reliable SEO in Philippines with Proven Track Record
    Also Offer Social Media Optimization Service

Quote Originally Posted by larryweiss View Post
    I have a "how to" video site It is currently hosted by a well known reputable host offering "unlimited bandwidth"

After much prodding they told me that there is in fact a limitation but its not on bandwidth. The limitation is based on the total load on the shared server. That once the server reaches 80% of its capacity, the site with the largest portion of the load gets suspended. The suspension is immediate and a e-mail is sent to the webmaster/owner informing them that the site is down. Once the problem is "rectified", it goes right back to live.

The control panel shows "CPU Usage 0.3%" (at the 20th of the month; I know not what that means).

The site has run up to 323 GB a month. Never any kind of notice from them.

The cost for hosting runs $50 per year. So my cost is $.013 per GB. Amazon charges $.15 per GB; at least to small users like me. So this hosting is quite a good deal. I do understand that Amazon offers a better quality of delivery, but what I have is plenty good enough.

The point of this post is that I expect an enormous increase in volume. (A sample video is going on youtube). So the host might cut me off, which of course is not good, but an hour offline would not be terrible. What is the best strategy to handle it.

For example, I could buy another (one/two/or more) hosting packages from the same/other host on different IPs, and divide up the videos between them.

Thanks in advance.
    Yes you can buy a dedicated server. But as your are saying offline problem has not happened yet then dividing your video on different hosting packages would be more cost saving.
    I was born Intelligent but Education ruined me

Quote Originally Posted by LowVM View Post
    Yes you can buy a dedicated server. But as your are saying offline problem has not happened yet then dividing your video on different hosting packages would be more cost saving.
    Most shared hosts will not allow this. Host your videos on youtube and link to them on your site.
    Last edited by JaJae; 05-20-2011 at 03:22 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by larryweiss View Post

Thanks in advance.
    Are you thinking the "hour offline" is the time it takes you to tell the host the problem is resolved and they reinstate you? That could be accurate, but what are you doing to resolve it? Remove the video? If you aren't doing that, won't the problem immediately re-occur when the site goes live again? If it does, then I'm sure the host will take notice and suspend you permanently.

The problem with the alternate site scenario is that changing to a new IP address takes some time, and its not time that you control. You will have to change the name servers at your domain name registrar to point it to the new site, and propagation of that can take up to 48 hours. It is usually faster than that, but it depends on the domain name cache at various points on the internet, including your customer's ISP. So some of your customers will get to your site, and others will not.

There are load-balancing and fail-over techniques used out there for dedicated servers, but I don't think they would work that well with shared accounts.

Have you thought about getting an inexpensive VPS with a generous bandwidth allotment? That might be a solution, although its quite a bit more expensive for a managed VPS ($30 to $40 a month), and an unmanaged VPS is a definite time sink if you haven't set one up before.

It doesn't surprise me that the hosting plan you describe is marketed as "unlimited" when in reality it is not. They do this because 98% of people will not actually hit the cap, so most people are happy. In fact, most people underuse, and end up simply paying for the constant IDEA that they COULD use however much bandwidth they needed at any given time. It's the all-you-can-eat-buffet concept, and it's very profitable.

I believe the next logical step for you would be to move over to a VPS, however for only $50.00 year you are going to find a very tough time finding a VPS for that price change.

350GB per month is a pretty large amount of bandwidth for a shared web hosting account. Not sure what to tell you, unless you able to raise your budget, you are eventually going to find your-self in a situation where your site is constantly being suspended for using to many resources.
    Looking for an awesome VPS Offer? CLICK HERE

"Knowing is not enough, we must apply. Willing is not enough, we must do." – Bruce Lee

Simply get back to your host and talk things out with them. As you say, it is a reputable host, and no such host will like to drag its reputation in the mud.
    Though the 'UNLIMITED' idea is conceptual, very few websites to drag host to their limits.
    █▌ Cheapest Domain Registration Service & Shared Hosting Solutions .
    █▌ Skrill, Perfect Money, AdvCash, Webmoney,Monero, Neteller, BitCoin, Payeer, Crypto.
    █▌ Instant Domain Name Registration - Over 700+ Extensions x3reg.com!

You must choose if you stay on the shared hosting or go in a dedicated server (much better)

Just get a cheap server with lots of bandwidth. You can find a few atoms for under $20 w/ 2TB/month. You can keep your site at your current host and just use your server for the static content.

A dedicated server would be suggested, you can consult to the service provider form some quotation.

motiveitheredu

better to go for dedicated server acc to ur need.

There's a fair few cheap VPS providers floating around lately. Take a look at lowendbox.com for a plan that offers enough bandwidth, use a light-weight web server package (nginx or lighttpd) and away you go. 500-1000gb for $4-5 per month seems to be common.

Try server4you vserver or shared.