Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Is Hetzner for real??

I need some insight about Hetzner.. Their prices is great and it must be too good to be true.. I host with singlehop now and I'm looking to reduce my overhead abit.. Can someone tell me about Hetzner?? Is their equipment good?? is their network reliable?? I'm a US based host would them being based in germany would that have a major effect??

Not sure as I have never used them before but sounds good, I used to use webtropia and they were okay, but support was not amazing.. What are you looking for, maybe I can help find a solution?

I think the major difference is the fact that you have to call support in a different time zone maybe an issue...
    Last edited by elgunvo; 05-20-2011 at 08:52 AM.

Hello,

We never had an issue with Hetzner. They are reliable and no network issues till now. +1 for Hetzner.
    " Your work is to discover your work and then with all your heart to give yourself to it. "

That's the mark of a true professional !

Quote Originally Posted by cptechie View Post
    Hello,

We never had an issue with Hetzner. They are reliable and no network issues till now. +1 for Hetzner.
    Well, Hetzner seems to be fine... If you did ever encounter a problem I live not too far away

They are reliable.
    TK Rustelekom LLC Dedicated server since 2002, RIPE NCC member, LIR

Heard good things about them. Not used them personally however!

+1

10 servers with them, please note they are a 100% unmanaged provider.

Their network is rock solid and their staff are easy to work with... They do use desktop-grade hardware, but that is not a huge issue as they do use decent stuff and not total crap. They are also very quick if you have any hardware issues.

-Daniel

We have a Hetzner server used only for off site backups, its been up for pretty much 2 years without a single issue, I cant comment on their support as it has never been needed.

Like SC-Daniel said the hardware grade is not the best out there but depending on your requirements chances are it will be up to the job.
    -> INCEPTION HOSTING LIMITED Since 2010!
    -> I am most active on the lowendspirit hosting forum Come join us!
    -> PHOENIX USA & THE NETHERLANDS & UK EU

Are we on about German Hetzner or South African?
    WO Hostings - Reliable and Affordable UK Web Hosting.
    Family run business providing a personal customer service.
    Web hosting packages with dedicated account managers.

german obviously

EDIT, my fault, didn;t read the first post properly..
    WO Hostings - Reliable and Affordable UK Web Hosting.
    Family run business providing a personal customer service.
    Web hosting packages with dedicated account managers.

I use Hetzner. No issues. No unexpected reboots.

Some speed problems on threading to US (<500KB/s per thread but I can just open like five and it's fine), doesn't bother me

Main thing is that if you want a custom setup or handholding, you're not going to get it. Apparently the reason it's so cheap is partially because stuff is automated, hardware is the same so spares are always available, etc.

Quote Originally Posted by hfaves View Post
    I need some insight about Hetzner.. Their prices is great and it must be too good to be true.. I host with singlehop now and I'm looking to reduce my overhead abit.. Can someone tell me about Hetzner?? Is their equipment good?? is their network reliable?? I'm a US based host would them being based in germany would that have a major effect??
    Yes Hetzners price are good but their service is very good aswell for the price they expect you to pay, They did have setup fees across all their services at one point but I can see they are slowly dropping them as they come closer to making a return on their massive investments.

Hetzner have a very big network some 700G/Bit I think it is across their whole corporate business.

I would personally consider Hetzner to have one of the biggest networks in the world when it comes to hosting providers
    Last edited by Server Management; 05-20-2011 at 04:52 PM.
    UK Based Proactive Server Management.
    Zabbix Enterprise 24/7 Monitoring.

The only issue that you`d have ( like I did ) is setting up a virtualized server. The traffic is kept under strict supervision, so any new virtual nic ( with a new MAC address ) that tries to communicate outside has it`s packets dropped.

Quote Originally Posted by bin_asc View Post
    The only issue that you`d have ( like I did ) is setting up a virtualized server. The traffic is kept under strict supervision, so any new virtual nic ( with a new MAC address ) that tries to communicate outside has it`s packets dropped.
    Change to a intel nic, you may have a problem with Realtek and their drivers.

The issue is already fixed. Everything works with the newer Realtek NICs.

Quote Originally Posted by bin_asc View Post
    The issue is already fixed. Everything works with the newer Realtek NICs.
    Which motherboard do you mean? MSI X58?

I`m not sure, I didn`t really need to mess with the Realtek NICs.
    I remember adding something to the probe files. Either way, that`s 2 months ago

Quote Originally Posted by skywin View Post
    Change to a intel nic, you may have a problem with Realtek and their drivers.
    Hetzner performs MAC filtering on their switches; it's not a driver problem.

They did add the ability to request a MAC for each additional IP via the robot now. (it's the little icon next to each additional IP)
    Eric Spaeth
    Enterprise Network Engineer :: Hosting Hobbyist :: Master of Procrastination
    "The really cool thing about facts is they remain true regardless of who states them."

Quote Originally Posted by spaethco View Post
    Hetzner performs MAC filtering on their switches; it's not a driver problem.

They did add the ability to request a MAC for each additional IP via the robot now. (it's the little icon next to each additional IP)
    I work with a /27 subnet for 15 vps without problem, to what problem do you refer exactly?

Quote Originally Posted by skywin View Post
    I work with a /27 subnet for 15 vps without problem, to what problem do you refer exactly?
    Specifically you can't use a hypervisor that employs bridged networking with a unique random MAC address assigned to each guest.

By default this isn't a problem with Xen using vif-route or OpenVZ/Virtuozzo.

It would be a problem for trying to do Xen vif-bridge, KVM with bridged networking, or VMWare. There are workarounds for each of those offerings to use NAT to hide the guest MACs, or now you can request unique MACs to use on the guests that would need to be configured manually.
    Eric Spaeth
    Enterprise Network Engineer :: Hosting Hobbyist :: Master of Procrastination
    "The really cool thing about facts is they remain true regardless of who states them."

Hetzner has very nice prices and quality

I recommend them.
    COO, HostHatch, LLC

Edge Cloud Computing

As of now I'm going to just using it for shared hosting.. My main concern is the quality of the hardware (don't want any major hard drive failures) and the the server being based in germany.. But from all of the replies I guess this is a good reliable company..

They are definitely for real, various clients of mine have been using them for many years. Not many issues to report, over all.
    CoderJosh | Web Application Developer and Linux Server Admin
    █ Web & Mobile App Coding | Troubleshooting | Tuning | Hardening | SysAdmin Services
    https://www.coderjosh.com/

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast