Is it safe to register Libyan Or Syrian domain name extensions?

Hi...

I have found the domain name I want, but in extensions
    of "bad well" countries

Something similar to:
    domain.af Afghanistan
    domain.sd Sudan
    domain.sy Syria
    domain.ly Libya

In case you don't know... the political systems of these
    countries are unstable and/or the country is run by a dictators

Can the authorities in these countries "seize" my domain (with or without a reason?) ...

So... the question: Is it dangerous to register my domain
    with these extensions that belongs to such countries?

I see Bit.ly registered which is a Libya domain extension...

Thanks,

Tim

The .ly has some root servers located outside of Libya. So an Egypt style blackout would not take them offline.

However the Libyan government can remove domains from the .ly registry as it's under their jurisdiction. This will take the domains offline regardless of where the root servers are located.
    I could tell you a joke about UDP. But I'm not sure you would get it!

I want to suggest that you should avoid to register a new domain with mentioned countries extension as there is much political crises. You have many other options then why do you want to move in these problems. You should only go for it if country specific extension is very needed.

Did you already try the ccTLD from all other countries? There are so many ccTLD to choose from, maybe you can successfully register your domain with one of these country code extensions.

Tom Tomson
    IP.MN - the fast and easy way to check your IP Number

If you are registering your domain name under a foreign ccTLD - ANY ccTLD - then you are putting yourself at the mercy of a foreign jurisdiction.

If the country is a stable democracy, with a good and fair legal system, then there is probably not that much of a risk.

If it's a dictatorship, or a banana republic, or even just a country in an unstable part of the world... then you are taking a big risk.

And anybody who thinks otherwise should read up on the history of .md, or the uk.co fiasco.

Registering a Libyan or Syrian domain for a bit of fun is one thing. Registering it for any "serious" purpose would be mad. (I also happen to think that all those people registering Colombian domains are pretty mad...)

.co domains probably FAR safer than many other domains

Quote Originally Posted by Lubeca View Post
    If you are registering your domain name under a
    <snip>
    (I also happen to think that all those people registering Colombian domains are pretty mad...)
    @Lubeca There are issues with .co domains, but I respectfully suggest to you that they are FAR safer than many other domains. FYI, many companies here in Colombia use the .com extension. I believe they need to pay a fine, because they are not using the .co extension.

This country is FAR more stable and FAR more democratic than many countries you can think of.

And anybody who thinks otherwise should read up on the history of .md, or the uk.co fiasco.
    What happened with the .md domain? I couldn't find any information about it.

Regarding .uk.co - it was not a real ccTLD but just a .co domain registered by another company for domain business purposes.

Tom Tomson

Quote Originally Posted by TomTomson View Post
    What happened with the .md domain? I couldn't find any information about it.
    This was a LONG time ago, and it's just something I remember from dinner table conversations at ICANN meetings. It was marketed as "dot medical doctor" by one lot of people, then it all fell apart and those doctors lost their domains, and then another lot of people started a similar scheme some time later.... but those who registered their .md domains first time round didn't necessarily get them back.

Regarding .uk.co - it was not a real ccTLD but just a .co domain registered by another company for domain business purposes.
    That doesn't alter the fact that someone registered it (in good faith), based a business on it (in good faith) and then the Colombian government decided they didn't like it and pulled the plug - leaving a lot of UK companies high and dry. What guarantee is there that it won't happen again?

(BTW, although I've met that "someone" I'm in no way connected to his business!)

Quote Originally Posted by Lanny View Post
    @Lubeca There are issues with .co domains, but I respectfully suggest to you that they are FAR safer than many other domains. FYI, many companies here in Colombia use the .com extension. I believe they need to pay a fine, because they are not using the .co extension.
    I agree that Colombian companies should use the .co extension - that's what it's there for.

I don't agree that .co should be marketed as a pretend-GTLD. It isn't a GTLD, and I also happen to think that marketing it in this way isn't fair on Colombians who, in the future, may find themselves unable to register domains IN THEIR OWN COUNTRY because they have all been snatched up by domainers the other side of the world.

To paraphrase an old Paul McCartney song...

"Give .co back to the Colombians"

(and .me to the Montenegrans...)

http://www.melbourneit.com.au/

Promotes .co as "The new global domain" on the front page of their site.

When you smell 'dead rat' put a handkerchief around your nose. If you are taking a risk with .ly or .af, or .sy, give it a backup plan.

We may doubt the sustainability of .co, think of .cm turned out to be the most dangerous ccTLD.
    █▌ Cheapest Shared Hosting Solutions with 17+ Server Locations.
    █▌ Skrill, Perfect Money, AdvCash, Webmoney,OKPAY, Neteller, BitCoin, Payeer, STP.
    █▌ Web Hosting, Offshore Hosting, Reseller Hosting, VPS Hosting, Cloud Hosting by HostNesta.com!

I agree that Colombian companies should use the .co extension - that's what it's there for.
    But, would you also agree that US companies should be using .us - as it's their designated country code?

Quote Originally Posted by Dan541 View Post
    But, would you also agree that US companies should be using .us - as it's their designated country code?
    In an ideal world - yes, but you can't turn back history. .us was a late starter, and by the time Neustar got the contract to run it, and started marketing it, .com was too well-established. You have the same problem in some other countries where the ccTLD was (or perhaps still is) too restricted.

Companies that are serving a local (as opposed to global) market should, in my opinion, express their local identity by using the local ccTLD.

However... my main point wasn't so much about what Colombian companies should or shouldn't be doing. It was more about the way some ccTLDs are pretending to be something that they aren't. ccTLDs are country codes. Marketing .co as "the new .com" is just wrong. In the long term it will prevent Colombian companies from registering the domains they want because those domains will all have been snatched up by domainers in other countries.

However... my main point wasn't so much about what Colombian companies should or shouldn't be doing. It was more about the way some ccTLDs are pretending to be something that they aren't. ccTLDs are country codes. Marketing .co as "the new .com" is just wrong. In the long term it will prevent Colombian companies from registering the domains they want because those domains will all have been snatched up by domainers in other countries.
    I agree, it really bugs me when I see people selling ccTLDs without any mention that it belongs to a particular country. The issue I have is that the registrant may be oblivious to the fact that they are using a ccTLD and as a result may get bitten for violating some rule they knew nothing about. It must also cause frustration for the local businesses in that country to have to compete with the global market for their local name.

Quote Originally Posted by Dan541 View Post
    It must also cause frustration for the local businesses in that country to have to compete with the global market for their local name.
    That's the responsibility of the countries that offer their ccTLD for registration. They could easily require a local presence.

Tom Tomson

Quote Originally Posted by TomTomson View Post
    That's the responsibility of the countries that offer their ccTLD for registration. They could easily require a local presence.
    ccTLDs broadly fall into three categories:

1) Those that require a local presence (or even a locally-registered company in some cases) - like .no, .de and .ie

2) Those that don't require a local presence, but that market themselves as being the country code for Country X - like .uk or .at

3) The "pretend-GTLDs" - like .co and .me

It's only the third of these that I see as problematic.