Thread: CPanel

CPanel

Well unfortunately after really really giving this hosting company a chance, with how I was treated last night by a CS supervisor, I will have to start looking for a new company.

My question is (since this is my first time moving with a CPanel), does it copy absolutely everything over?

Meaning, all my spam assasin entries, settings re: spam assasin, etc., or do those all have to be done from scratch again?

Thanks

Yes if done properly it should copy everything, some companies will even migrate your data for you
    Last edited by bear; 05-19-2011 at 11:54 PM.

Transferring all data between cPanel accounts should be easy and really possible
    You might want to ask your new host provider to help you with that (some of them will migrate your data for free) - just provide them with your current/previous cPanel login.
    Web Hosting Business Guide Book - Getting & Managing Your First 1,000 Clients in Web Hosting
    Enter Your cPanel Login & We'll Back It Up, Every Day! - SiteAutoBackup.Com
    Got WHM instead? Enter your WHM login and we'll backup everything, everyday. It's simple.

Open up your cPanel, find 'Backup Wizard' (hopefully your current host hasn't disabled this), go through the steps for a "Full" backup. Depending on the size, it will take a bit to generate.

Then download this file to your computer and once you've found a new host, give it to them.

When they restore it, it should be an exact replica of your cPanel account. Your files, databases, emails, email settings, domains, etc...anything you did, or can do from cPanel will be there, .

Thanks guys. Now I just have to spend more of my time trying to find a good hosting company.

Really disappointed with how things turned out with this one. I've spent every week dealing with issues they have for 6 months now. I've never had to deal with so many problems ever. They were nice so I let it slide, but after dealing with morons replying to one ticket the other day, & then the communication with the superv. & then them expecting me to repeat myself over & over again b/c no one can be bothered to just read & comprehend, I've just had it.

Anyway, enough of my complaining,

Have a lovely night.

Michelle

Quote Originally Posted by ep2002 View Post
    Thanks guys. Now I just have to spend more of my time trying to find a good hosting company.

Really disappointed with how things turned out with this one. I've spent every week dealing with issues they have for 6 months now. I've never had to deal with so many problems ever. They were nice so I let it slide, but after dealing with morons replying to one ticket the other day, & then the communication with the superv. & then them expecting me to repeat myself over & over again b/c no one can be bothered to just read & comprehend, I've just had it.

Anyway, enough of my complaining,

Have a lovely night.

Michelle
    What sort of issues were you having?

I only ask for the following reason....

We see many people at this forum complain about a host with what they think are 'issues.' Many times it turns out that the 'issues' they face are standard protocols and procedures employed by all service providers.

Not to say that is the case here, but would like to know as to potentially avoid the same problems in the future.

Hello,

Obtain a cPanel backup from your current host. It will be having all the spam assassin entries, mails, databases etc. You just need to provide your new host the backup and they will restore it for you. Even you can upload the backup to the server for restoration. If you still have access to previous host's cpanel, a new host can take the backup themselves and restore it for you.
    " Your work is to discover your work and then with all your heart to give yourself to it. "

That's the mark of a true professional !

Obtain a cPanel backup from your current host. It will be having all the spam assassin entries, mails, databases etc. You just need to provide your new host the backup and they will restore it for you. Even you can upload the backup to the server for restoration. If you still have access to previous host's cpanel, a new host can take the backup themselves and restore it for you.
    A simple "/script/pkgacct user" should suffice for the provider to "wget" the backup across and then restore it.

Michelle, how big is the account overall?
    l Dedigeeks (Twitter) Shared Reseller Cloud VPS Since 2010
    l Leading AU Hosting Provider Multiple locations - around the globe!
    l cPanel/WHM R1Soft Backups 24/7/365 Support 99.9% Uptime Guarantee
    l www.yourcompanynamehere.com Customer Service Rep. Superior Service Guarantee

Hello.

Root access is needed to execute /scripts/pkgacct and I don't thinks the user will be having it.
    " Your work is to discover your work and then with all your heart to give yourself to it. "

Root access is needed to execute /scripts/pkgacct and I don't thinks the user will be having it.
    If you manage a "Full Home Backup" from the backup tools within cPanel, it uses the exact same command, so the user does have it even if they do not have full root access.

@Ferngully - I'd say Hostdime
    Last edited by Sparrow-Sean; 05-20-2011 at 01:39 AM.

Well unfortunately after really really giving this hosting company a chance, with how I was treated last night by a CS supervisor, I will have to start looking for a new company.

My question is (since this is my first time moving with a CPanel), does it copy absolutely everything over?

Meaning, all my spam assasin entries, settings re: spam assasin, etc., or do those all have to be done from scratch again?

Thanks
    If you do not mind me asking, who are you currently hosted with?
    Need Web Hosting? Click Here to Learn Why You Should Switch To FernGullyGraphics
    FernGullyGraphics --- 426 14th St. Suite #115 --- Modesto, California --- 95354

Need Business Cards? Click Here

Smile

Quote Originally Posted by Sparrow-Sean View Post
    If you manage a "Full Home Backup" from the backup tools within cPanel, it uses the exact same command, so the user does have it even if they do not have full root access.

@Ferngully - I'd say Hostdime
    Hello,

That's true. If you explain it in this way everyone will understand.

Quote Originally Posted by Noppix View Post
    What sort of issues were you having?

I only ask for the following reason....

We see many people at this forum complain about a host with what they think are 'issues.' Many times it turns out that the 'issues' they face are standard protocols and procedures employed by all service providers.

Not to say that is the case here, but would like to know as to potentially avoid the same problems in the future.
    Hmm, where do I start & no, I don't think these are normal issues...

1. Spam Assasin issues that have been going on since I started with them. I spend a lot of time entering in spam mail & several times now the e-mails have come thru. So every time I have to prove to them I'm getting these e-mails.

Just a few days ago some techi allowed all Yahoo mail to come thru, so I was getting tons of spam from all Yahoo accts. They didn't believe me until I pasted 5 different e-mail headers into the ticket.

2. I have to take responsibility for some things, why I don't know, but for example, I can't log into my CMS on one of my domains. This is the 2nd time it's happened & I was able to log in yesterday.

They can, I can't. I've even tried on 2 different computers & with 3 different browsers.

3. The entire list of SA e-mails goes missing every few wks. They say it's coming from my IP, but I'm not doing a thing to delete them. That's happened close to 10 times now.

4. They made plenty of mistakes, like charging me for one more IP addy that could have been used on the default one that's free. It took a few months b4 a smart techi figured that out.

5. They moved me to another server & again there were issues with some of my DBs, so it's like I had to go thru 2 moves all in a matter of 6 months & you know how stressful that can be.

I thought everything would be moved over (settings, etc.), but they didn't.

6. My IP address (they say) was pinging the server numerous times in a matter of minutes, so their server kept blocking me, so I couldn't get on my sites, send/receive e-mail, etc.

I'd have to call up & get them to release the block.

This went on for wks. which is when they moved me, now it doesn't happen anymore.

It's every week or two I have to contact them & when I was with the previous hoster (he didn't have CPanel), I had to contact him maybe once every 4-6 months. And it's not just every week, sometimes there's 2-4 tickets in a week.

I have wasted a ton of my precious time dealing with these issues which like I said, I never had to do before.

And yes, I've had computer forums try to help clean up my computer & they have, but these problems still exist with the hoster.

7. Then I noticed on the wknd. that e-mail addys that are supposed to be pointing to one main e-mail weren't, so I asked them to do that & delete a couple of e-mails.

They screwed that up 3 times before I lost it & asked to have that superv. call me. It took days to talk to him & then he shrugged me off saying I should just respond to the ticket & say what I want. JFC, I already did that 2-3 times, this was one of the reasons I asked to speak to YOU on the phone, so it's clear they don't want to help anymore.

The list is too long for me to cite here & trust me, I don't want to be changing hosters. I hate doing it, it takes forever & then things have to be put back to normal all over again.

Quote Originally Posted by jonathan cole View Post
    From which company you took the hosting, please let us know so we will not go there.
    Since I'm still with them, I won't review them yet, but if you want, just PM me, & I'll give you that one & the previous one too.

Quote Originally Posted by Sparrow-Sean View Post
    A simple "/script/pkgacct user" should suffice for the provider to "wget" the backup across and then restore it.

Michelle, how big is the account overall?
    Depends on what you think is large LOL

I have a ton of e-mails & a fair amount of domains, but the bandwidth is low.

3-6 DBS, unless you include every WP DB, then it's more.

Then of course all the SA e-mails.

The overall would be useful I suppose, you can see that from the cPanel interface

Anything larger than 1GB is big, anything less is generally classified as small (to myself personally).

E-mails take up the diskspace quite a bit if you are an attachment person, though generally do not count heavy towards the official total as each e-mail on average takes up 1kb to 5kb on the average.

Overall though, if the site is the one in your signature then I would not see too much of an issue with your site being hosted on a reputable provider.

How do I find that info out?

No, LOL, that's just one very small site.

Remember, I have quite a few domains, around 30 I think, but a lot of them just redirect.

Thanks

P.S. Wouldn't e-mail only matter if you used IMAP & kept them all on the server?

How do I find that info out?
    It should be in the main view of your cPanel account on the left hand side

No, LOL, that's just one very small site.
    It really depends, if you restore an account above 1GB on a system using "/scripts/restorepkg user" over SSH then it can start to affect system performance and generally needs a middle action to slow it down such as "CPULimit" otherwise it can affect other users on the sysem indirectly.

Remember, I have quite a few domains, around 30 I think, but a lot of them just redirect.
    If most of these are redirect it really should not be too much of an issue as they are just acting as a redirect.

P.S. Wouldn't e-mail only matter if you used IMAP & kept them all on the server?
    I am not sure what you are referring too, all I am acknowledging is that e-mails on your account will account towards your total diskspace usage

Ok, so I assume this is the total for all the accounts as the other ones are under reseller accts.

I took these stats from the main login

3417.11 disk usage
    4750.55 bandwidth
    7 DBs
    My SQL disk space 77.14 MB

Quote Originally Posted by cptechie View Post
    Hello,

That's true. If you explain it in this way everyone will understand.
    Yes, create backup and move it to public_html and set permissions to 444 (READ ONLY) and then give URL to new provider. They can then simply just type "cd /home" and "wget url" and then run "/scripts/restorepkg <username>". Been using this method for years. It is usually a lot quicker than using transfer feature in WHM itself.

Ok, so I assume this is the total for all the accounts as the other ones are under reseller accts.

I took these stats from the main login

3417.11 disk usage
    4750.55 bandwidth
    7 DBs
    My SQL disk space 77.14 MB
    Total: 3494.25 MB / 3.41235 GB

Even if it was one site it wouldn't take too long to copy/restore 3.5 GB of data.

Have you thought of using Google Apps to host your email, they have a good spam filter?

You mean run all my e-mails thru Google? I think someone suggested that a while ago & we tested it & I can't remember if we were just testing for speed or what, but it took longer to get it thru gmail addy than the real one.

I'm just going off of memory now as it was a while ago.

Michelle