Noticeable difference between SecuredServers and Hivelocity (or other FL provider)?

For a consumer in the Dominican Republic browsing through our site, is there a noticeable difference in web browsing "speed" between a site using securedserver's network and using a FL provider like hivelocity?

Overall, who is the better provider? Is securedserver managed?

Thanks.

I feel SecuredServers beats Hivelocity in multiple areas.

Securedservers is not a managed provider however.

Network is not the only factor in 'browsing' speed, its also depending on how well the server is configured.
    Steven Ciaburri | Industry's Best Server Management - Rack911.com
    Software Auditing - 400+ Vulnerabilities Found - Quote @ https://www.RACK911Labs.com
    Fully Managed Dedicated Servers (Las Vegas, New York City, & Amsterdam) (AS62710)
    FreeBSD & Linux Server Management, Security Auditing, Server Optimization, PCI Compliance

On SecuredServers website it states that they offer fully managed services, but you have to contact them for additional information. In that regard, they aren't much different from HiVelocity since you can get a managed or unmanaged server from either company. The only thing different at first glance is that HiVelocity gives a little more information about their managed service levels.

I'm a fan of HiVelocity. I've been with them for a while and found their sales and support staff to be more than accommodating and responsive to my requests. Your question seemed more geared toward speed though. I can't say for certain I have any experience with residents of the Dominican Republic accessing any websites on our servers with HiVelocity, but we have a number of accounts on our servers that are from companies/organizations based in Europe, Australia and Western Asia. I assume the speed would be suitable for your visitors accessing the server from the Dominican Republic.

The following assumption could be completely incorrect, however, I have a hard time believing that the average Internet connection in the Dominican Republic is even capable of streaming a file at the full speed of HiVelocity's network. On my office's DSL and cable connections, a file downloads off their server at around 250kb/s-500kb/s. In the event I move a file from their servers in Florida to another server in Texas, the file transfers at around 10.5mb/s - which is about 10-20 times faster than what I have access to in my office.

Where on securedservers website does it state tehy offer managed services?
    Software Auditing - 400+ Vulnerabilities Found - Quote @ https://www.RACK911Labs.com
    Fully Managed Dedicated Servers (Las Vegas, New York City, & Amsterdam) (AS62710)
    FreeBSD & Linux Server Management, Security Auditing, Server Optimization, PCI Compliance

Quote Originally Posted by Steven View Post
    Where on securedservers website does it state tehy offer managed services?
    Here you go steven: http://www.securedservers.com/managed-services.php

UnderHost.comOffshore Hosting Solutions and USA/Canadian based servers.
    24/7 Rapid Support / 99.9% Uptime Guarantee / Shared / Cloud / VPS / Dedicated Servers
    Managed OnApp CloudUSA Cloud Virtual Datacenter - Dedicated and Scalable Resources
    Hong Kong - Netherlands - Canada - Caribbean - United States - Russia

Yea. It is in the first dropdown menu.

I am pretty sure they will refer you to their 'other' brand.

http://www.ecsuite.com/web-hosting.php

SS themself do not offer management.

What is their relationship to Cave Creek , do they really own their own data center , network, and IP's? Also they appear to be in AZ no where near FL. They look more like a reseller unless its a Cave Creek spin off.
    Ceridius Networks Sales
    Email/MSN sales@ceridius.com
    Ceridius Networks - Reseller of Hivelocity Hosting
    Network Speed Test

Quote Originally Posted by vmhatup View Post
    For a consumer in the Dominican Republic browsing through our site, is there a noticeable difference in web browsing "speed" between a site using securedserver's network and using a FL provider like hivelocity?

Overall, who is the better provider? Is securedserver managed?

Thanks.
    I'm not too sure if there's a difference in the speed between both sites but to me the ping time is almost the same and thus meaning that both are loading almost equally as quick.

The difference in load time could be due to the fact that 1 Website has more Flash/Web Intensive stuff as compared to the other site which does not. That's usually why some sites loads up slower than others if the pings are almost the same.

Who is the better provider? That's a very hard question to answer. I am sure both companies has their own good as well. I am sure HiVelocity and SecuredServers do have their good and weak points too. So good or bad is totally up to you to decide. As for Managed Services, most companies will offer that just that you would have to pay extra for that service. Even budget companies around would offer that service at a price. Ask them about it if you don't see it and you'll get your answer.
    Aaron Ong
    Dedicated Servers - 100TB Servers - 100Mbps Unmetered Servers - Web Hosting - CDN Network
    Servers in Central, East/West Coast USA, EUROPE and ASIA
    Welltodo Century
    - www.welltodocentury.com

Quote Originally Posted by HiVelocity View Post
    What is their relationship to Cave Creek , do they really own their own data center , network, and IP's? Also they appear to be in AZ no where near FL. They look more like a reseller unless its a Cave Creek spin off.
    There are a number of companies with overlapping and / or identical ownership that operate in Phoenix, AZ, of which SS, CWIE, and PNAP are three of them. My understanding is that CCbill is the primary investor in these companies, but that part I haven't had confirmed. I'm not sure the exact relationship between these companies, but they are related.

Regardless, to reach latin america and south america, a rule of thumb is to host in Florida, Miami if possible, since that's where the fibers from the relevant latin and SA ISPs terminate. Phoenix is on the west coast of the US, so you'll likely see around 50ms additional latency on a typical SA / Latin route vs a reasonable mix of carriers coming out of Miami.
    IOFLOOD.com -- We Love Servers
    Phoenix, AZ Dedicated Servers in under an hour
    ★ Ryzen 9: 7950x3D ★ Dual E5-2680v4 Xeon ★
    Contact Us: sales@ioflood.com

I used SecuredServers and highly reccomend them to anyone .

They got really good prices + Support is excellent

Quote Originally Posted by funkywizard View Post
    There are a number of companies with overlapping and / or identical ownership that operate in Phoenix, AZ, of which SS, CWIE, and PNAP are three of them. My understanding is that CCbill is the primary investor in these companies, but that part I haven't had confirmed. I'm not sure the exact relationship between these companies, but they are related.

Regardless, to reach latin america and south america, a rule of thumb is to host in Florida, Miami if possible, since that's where the fibers from the relevant latin and SA ISPs terminate. Phoenix is on the west coast of the US, so you'll likely see around 50ms additional latency on a typical SA / Latin route vs a reasonable mix of carriers coming out of Miami.
    Possibly, A customer of mine saw a 15ms increase going from Gnax to SecuredServers to brazil. 50ms seems a little much TBH.

Possibly, A customer of mine saw a 15ms increase going from Gnax to SecuredServers to brazil. 50ms seems a little much TBH.
    Interesting - it should be more than 15ms. The traffic from brazil will go through atlanta to get to phoenix most of the time and as you can see its about 50 ms to get there. just the speed of light issue.

Tracing route to securedservers.net [209.188.23.6]
    over a maximum of 30 hops:

1 1 ms 1 ms 1 ms dc3-gateway.gnax.net [64.22.64.1]
    2 1 ms <1 ms 1 ms atl-core-g-g3-5.gnax.net [63.247.85.2]
    3 15 ms 1 ms 1 ms atl-core-a-g3-1.gnax.net [63.247.69.177]
    4 2 ms 1 ms 1 ms border10.tge3-3.globalaccess-2.acs.pnap.net [64.
    94.224.161]
    5 1 ms <1 ms 1 ms core3.tge4-1-bbnet1.acs.pnap.net [64.94.0.3]
    6 1 ms 1 ms 1 ms TenGigabitEthernet3-4.ar5.ATL1.gblx.net [207.218
    .80.217]
    7 53 ms 53 ms 53 ms CWIE-LLC.TenGigabitEthernet6-1.ar6.PHX1.gblx.net
    [64.211.166.134]
    8 53 ms 53 ms 53 ms vl177.cr2.cave.103.5.9.phx0.cwie.net [209.188.10
    .142]
    9 53 ms 53 ms 54 ms 209.188.23.6

Do you know what the tracert to brazil from secured in phoenix is?
    Dedicated Servers
    WWW.NETDEPOT.COM
    Since 2000

Jeff, sometimes they take the direct Miami-Dallas path without passing through Atlanta first - for those carriers with that leg. Some carriers have only the Atlanta-Miami leg going north.

Was just my guess based on the distances involved, YMMV. For what its worth, Atlanta (gnax) should be about 10ms from Miami, so its a good location to reach Latam, but not ideal either.
    IOFLOOD.com -- We Love Servers
    Phoenix, AZ Dedicated Servers in under an hour
    ★ Ryzen 9: 7950x3D ★ Dual E5-2680v4 Xeon ★
    Contact Us: sales@ioflood.com

Quote Originally Posted by sailor View Post
    Interesting - it should be more than 15ms. The traffic from brazil will go through atlanta to get to phoenix most of the time and as you can see its about 50 ms to get there. just the speed of light issue.

Tracing route to securedservers.net [209.188.23.6]
    over a maximum of 30 hops:

1 1 ms 1 ms 1 ms dc3-gateway.gnax.net [64.22.64.1]
    2 1 ms <1 ms 1 ms atl-core-g-g3-5.gnax.net [63.247.85.2]
    3 15 ms 1 ms 1 ms atl-core-a-g3-1.gnax.net [63.247.69.177]
    4 2 ms 1 ms 1 ms border10.tge3-3.globalaccess-2.acs.pnap.net [64.
    94.224.161]
    5 1 ms <1 ms 1 ms core3.tge4-1-bbnet1.acs.pnap.net [64.94.0.3]
    6 1 ms 1 ms 1 ms TenGigabitEthernet3-4.ar5.ATL1.gblx.net [207.218
    .80.217]
    7 53 ms 53 ms 53 ms CWIE-LLC.TenGigabitEthernet6-1.ar6.PHX1.gblx.net
    [64.211.166.134]
    8 53 ms 53 ms 53 ms vl177.cr2.cave.103.5.9.phx0.cwie.net [209.188.10
    .142]
    9 53 ms 53 ms 54 ms 209.188.23.6

Do you know what the tracert to brazil from secured in phoenix is?
    I'll try to gather traceroutes - but the traffic for my customer does not flow through atlanta from secured servers.

Quote Originally Posted by cresci View Post
    Jeff, sometimes they take the direct Miami-Dallas path without passing through Atlanta first - for those carriers with that leg. Some carriers have only the Atlanta-Miami leg going north.
    From a mileage standpoint it still the same.

many of those likely actually do go to atl but may not see in a hidden mpls network where they are switching through those routers instead of showing a layer 3 hop.
    Dedicated Servers
    WWW.NETDEPOT.COM
    Since 2000