LCN.com - Any thoughts?

Hi,

I just purchased a VPS from LCN - speeds seem incredible for a UK server (~50MB/s) - much faster than my current BurstNET VPS (~12MB/s).

Support seems awesome too - phone support definitely go out of their way to help you out, and tickets are answered quickly too.

Any other users that have been with them for a while? What are your thoughts of their service?

Thanks

Never used them. They sound like a good provider though. Let's hope it isn't just temporarily due to you being a new customer.
    HostXNow - Shared Web Hosting | Semi Dedicated Hosting | Enterprise Reseller Hosting | VPS Hosting

My first thought is that you're comparing apples to oranges. We charge ~$8.00 for our VPS, and they charge $38.25.

So, for about 5x the price you're getting 4.5x the throughput. Seems about right, but I would like to see where you are relative to their and our data centers (centres).

But were you on a VPS1 of ours? Becasue to even start to compare you'd have to be at a VPS4 to come close to their setup at $28.35 (Our price for VPS4 is $37.10).

At that point we have 2.5GB mem (They have1.0 + 2.0 Burst), but we offer 3x the disk space. They don't mention their cpu speed, so we can't compare that.

So if you could provide more data about what you have from us and what you have from them, I think it would be more fair to all reading your review.

Quote Originally Posted by BurstNET_CSM View Post
    My first thought is that you're comparing apples to oranges. We charge ~$8.00 for our VPS, and they charge $38.25.

So, for about 5x the price you're getting 4.5x the throughput. Seems about right, but I would like to see where you are relative to their and our data centers (centres).

But were you on a VPS1 of ours? Becasue to even start to compare you'd have to be at a VPS4 to come close to their setup at $28.35 (Our price for VPS4 is $37.10).

At that point we have 2.5GB mem (They have1.0 + 2.0 Burst), but we offer 3x the disk space. They don't mention their cpu speed, so we can't compare that.

So if you could provide more data about what you have from us and what you have from them, I think it would be more fair to all reading your review.
    We're on Burst's network and here is a speed test a customer did on one of our VPSs:
    http://www.speedtest.net/result/1300312057.png

I think you're jumping to conclusions. I wasn't making any review of your service whatsoever - I was mentioning that the speed I get now in comparison to what I got from your service (which IMO was still good). It is better which justifies the cost difference. I was inviting opinions on the support of LCN.

Price I pay at BurstNET: £10+VAT Price I pay at LCN: £25+VAT.

To make it fair (to BurstNET), my review on BurstNET is still valid (http://www.webhostingtalk.com/showthread.php?t=1010392)

Please don't jump to conclusions, BurstNET_CSM.

but I would like to see where you are relative to their and our data centers (centres).
    @BurstNET_CSM - The OP is in Manchester and LCN appear to be located in St Albans north of London. Given that they appear to take their feed from BT Wholesale, if the OP also uses an ISP here that use (or resell) BT then he's a lucky boy as he'll be routing pretty much direct from Manchester -> Birmingham -> Ilford -> St Albans.

For him (and me) to reach our stuff in BurstNET Manchester, even though we're both in the Manchester area, we have to route on our respective ISPs down to London to pick up your pipe back up to Manchester.

This isn't a criticism or complaint, just an explanation. There seems to be very little peering goes on in Manchester (or other major UK cities) with the available carriers in the UK. If you were to peer with BT, Level(3), VirginMedia and Hutchison 3G in Manchester you'd probably knock spots of "the opposition"... But then you'd probably have to (at least) quadruple your prices to cover it!

On the plus side, BurstNET do have a nice link from Manchester through Liverpool to the New York area which I haven't seen any of the other Northern UK hosts pick up

Quote Originally Posted by F-DNS View Post
    @BurstNET_CSM - The OP is in Manchester and LCN appear to be located in St Albans north of London. Given that they appear to take their feed from BT Wholesale, if the OP also uses an ISP here that use (or resell) BT then he's a lucky boy as he'll be routing pretty much direct from Manchester -> Birmingham -> Ilford -> St Albans.
    I am with BT Infinity, therefore It's probably the fastest way of getting to the VPS. (40MB/s DL on my line)

Quote Originally Posted by Xtremehosting View Post
    I am with BT Infinity, therefore It's probably the fastest way of getting to the VPS. (40MB/s DL on my line)
    I rest my case (ya lucky b*gg*r)

Is it not rolled out in your area yet? We're pretty far away from the centre of Manchester (about 30 mins) - was surprised they'd put it in our area so quick!

Is it not rolled out in your area yet? We're pretty far away from the centre of Manchester (about 30 mins) - was surprised they'd put it in our area so quick!
    They reckon 2012 for us country yokels ... Something about BT engineers getting hay fever crossing the fields to get to us

Quote Originally Posted by jtodd View Post
    We're on Burst's network and here is a speed test a customer did on one of our VPSs:
    http://www.speedtest.net/result/1300312057.png
    You're mistaken - that's not a speedtest from a server - that's from the clients own network (at a university)

I think you're jumping to conclusions. I wasn't making any review of your service whatsoever - I was mentioning that the speed I get now in comparison to what I got from your service (which IMO was still good). It is better which justifies the cost difference. I was inviting opinions on the support of LCN.

Price I pay at BurstNET: £10+VAT Price I pay at LCN: £25+VAT.

To make it fair (to BurstNET), my review on BurstNET is still valid (http://www.webhostingtalk.com/showthread.php?t=1010392)

Please don't jump to conclusions, BurstNET_CSM.
    I definitely was not jumping to conclusions. It's why I asked for more info from your side, as your original post just spoke of better speeds with no real data behind it.

No hard feelings and no issues. Just glad to have more data regarding your post

After reading over my initial post, I can understand your concern - hope everything's cleared up for everyone now

Would you (BurstNET_CSM) consider using a native UK supplier (such as BT) as an additional route so it speeds it up even more for the UK people?

After reading over my initial post, I can understand your concern - hope everything's cleared up for everyone now

Would you (BurstNET_CSM) consider using a native UK supplier (such as BT) as an additional route so it speeds it up even more for the UK people?
    I'll pass it on to the people that make those decisions here

I'll pass it on to the people that make those decisions here
    If you're passing things on, could you also please mention te-4-2.car1.Manchester1.Level3.net? If you can get hooked into Level(3) in Manchester you'll get the bonus of a nice direct hop to AMSIX too.

(Meantime I'll just go order everything we're likely to need in Manchester for the next couple of years and get the prices grandfathered in, cos' this is gonna cost a bomb LOL)

You're mistaken - that's not a speedtest from a server - that's from the clients own network (at a university)
    As far as I'm aware, you can run the SpeedTest "app" on your own servers and test from them - I think that's what jtodd was getting at there
    NetHosted Ltd. - UK Based Web Hosting
    Like us on Facebook!

Quote Originally Posted by BretW View Post
    As far as I'm aware, you can run the SpeedTest "app" on your own servers and test from them - I think that's what jtodd was getting at there
    I'm sure that BurstNET do not use a university network to connect to the internet jtodd was saying that the test was made on a VPS, which it wasn't.

I'm sure that BurstNET do not use a university network to connect to the internet jtodd was saying that the test was made on a VPS, which it wasn't.
    If he was to run the SpeedTest app on his VPS, the speedtest was made on the VPS. The test itself was on a VPS (at least this is what I'm getting from it)

It's like saying something was tested on animals; the speed was tested on a VPS.
    Like us on Facebook!

Quote Originally Posted by BretW View Post
    If he was to run the SpeedTest app on his VPS, the speedtest was made on the VPS. The test itself was on a VPS (at least this is what I'm getting from it)

It's like saying something was tested on animals; the speed was tested on a VPS.
    Really confused now . If you look at the image of the speedtest, it says that the ISP of the machine he was testing was the university. That means the tested server/machine was connected to a university network, and therefore not a VPS on the BurstNET network.

Really confused now . If you look at the image of the speedtest, it says that the ISP of the machine he was testing was the university. That means the tested server/machine was connected to a university network, and therefore not a VPS on the BurstNET network.
    It's in fact telling you that the ISP of the tester was located at the university. Note that it says "Server: Gloucester" below that
    Like us on Facebook!

Google Maps

Neither locations are anywhere near . Plus, the "Server:" is the one they are downloading from to test the speed.

If you read jtodd's web site it all becomes clear

Our offices are at the Knowledge Business Centre at InfoLab21 within the grounds of Lancaster University. From here, we maintain close connections with our main network in Manchester Science Park.
    They're based in Lancaster, their equipment is in Manchester and they draw their bandwidth from BurstNET. They're super-connected to Manchester like you're super-connected to St Albans

(And now I'm jealous of both of you)

Ah Ok. Still can't really understand the speedtest however, as the maximum speed for broadband in the UK is 100MB/s . They're probably locally routed, and the client on the same network (ie. The Universities).

Ah Ok. Still can't really understand the speedtest however, as the maximum speed for broadband in the UK is 100MB/s . They're probably locally routed, and the client on the same network (ie. The Universities).
    Lancaster Uni is connected (via Gloucester) to Manchester Science Park (and Manchester Uni, UMIST etc). The download test is of a VPS on one of his servers in Manchester, fed via BurstNET's network. And yes, it outstrips UK broadband, probably by a factor of 100

The only reason is says Lancaster University is because they provide us with IP space. The transit is provided by Burst which is what I was trying to show.