Introductory Web Hosting (RAID?!)

I am beginning my small time position as a server manager of sorts for a brother of mine. This is very new, and I am looking for server components as we speak.

I have found some threads talking about hard drives, and I have concluded to consider 1 2TB drive as a start. THOUGH, is RAID, for hypothetically, a high-traffic situation (heh) the must...

And the rest is taking care of itself.

Raid is a must for high traffic and redundancy. On a single drive setup, if it fails the entire server is offline which = bad for business. I would highly suggest setting up at an absolute minimum a raid 1 setup (2 drives) but a raid 5 (3 drives) would be more ideal.

The good thing with Raid 5 if you're only looking for 2Tb's of usable space, you could purchase 3 1Tb drives to obtain that goal.

That's manageable.

for hosting raid1 or raid 10 - forget raid 5 as it is too slow.

at a minimum, for hosting you want 3 drives. use 2 of them in raid 1 and the 3rd drive for backup staging.
    CPanel Shared and Reseller Hosting, OpenVZ VPS Hosting. West Coast (LA) Servers and Nodes
    Running Linux since 1.0.8 Kernel!
    Providing Internet Services since 1995 and Hosting Since 2004

Quote Originally Posted by RRWH View Post
    for hosting raid1 or raid 10 - forget raid 5 as it is too slow.

at a minimum, for hosting you want 3 drives. use 2 of them in raid 1 and the 3rd drive for backup staging.
    I would disagree. Raid 5 in a SAN, sure that would be a bad idea. But for a single machine running shared web hosting, I don't see how raid 5 would be too slow.

If the budget stretches to it go for RAID 10 with a good raid card, failing that RAID 1 will be fine but again with a good raid card.

Quote Originally Posted by Paul-UKWSD View Post
    If the budget stretches to it go for RAID 10 with a good raid card, failing that RAID 1 will be fine but again with a good raid card.
    I will consider. I am considering the budget now, theoretically anyway.

Quote Originally Posted by Tuxxin View Post
    I would disagree. Raid 5 in a SAN, sure that would be a bad idea. But for a single machine running shared web hosting, I don't see how raid 5 would be too slow.
    Please then tell me what the write penalty for raid 5 is and why a 4x write penalty, when you have 3 disks is NOT a bad idea.

What this really means is that RAID 5, with 3 disks, the Maximum write speed is less than the speed of a single disk, so tell me again why raid 5 is a good idea with 3 disks. It is Worse performance than having 2 disks in raid 1.
    CPanel Shared and Reseller Hosting, OpenVZ VPS Hosting. West Coast (LA) Servers and Nodes
    Running Linux since 1.0.8 Kernel!
    Providing Internet Services since 1995 and Hosting Since 2004

I think having RAID-1 should be the bare minimum for drive redundancy if this is a commercial/public service.

We have run RAID 1 setups with 3Ware cards in most dedicated machines with additional offsite backups for years and years. Some with very high traffic, 20Mbps sustained. Performance has always been good, and outages have basically been zero. Higher end servers we run RAID 10, again with offsite backups. Depends on your setup, and what you are doing. You can get incredibly high performance out of a RAID 1 if you set things right.

Quote Originally Posted by Tuxxin View Post
    RAID5 gives up too much write performance. For performance, go with RAID1 or RAID10. Don't use RAID5 in servers.
    No Support Linux Hosting Bargain cPanel Hosting Experts Only
    We IGNORE the support questions, and pass the SAVINGS on to YOU!
    We also ignore questions about VPS Hosting