Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    One thing you might be used to is uploading or copying in plugin jar files, or mod jar files whenever you please. Many hosts do not allow this, in fear of virus's etc. Be sure you're aware of this when ordering!
    -Ryan K
    Quality Minecraft hosting at a price you can afford!
    Managed Dedicated and VPS hosting.
    evlbox.com

Searching on the Minecraft forums would also be a good idea, they have an approved host list there with server companies who have shown that they're a registered company.

Quote Originally Posted by UH-Bobby View Post
    Personally speaking, and coming from experience, I wouldn't start with dedicated. It's overkill. Start with a solid VPS with good IO, put minecraft in memory if necessary, then monitor the server closely, and upgrade with the provider as needed. VPS's are scalable usually.

Then, when you know you've outgrown it, get a dedicated server, or a hybrid dedicated (one VPS on it's own dedicated hardware).
    I have to agree with starting with a VPS. Any reasonable provider that doesn't heavily oversell should be able to host a minecraft server perfectly fine. One think you will see more often with the budget providers although it can happen with the premium providers is that they will auto kill any java processes to keep things like minecraft servers and runescape bots etc off of their servers. This game has some pretty horrid resource usage with both hosting and general gameplay.

I also wouldn't go with a provider that just offers minecraft hosting. While they can be great providers now, minecraft could just be a fad that may die down in the future and the client base will decrease causing the host to close. When you are with a game server provider that offers multiple types of hosting, they have multiple steams of income and if one game starts doing bad or becoming unprofitable they are more likely to be able to stay in business.

The only bottleneck seems to be your internet speed and maybe the CPU but other then that, great server!

Quote Originally Posted by ACallander View Post
    I currently run a minecraft server at home using an AMD X4 945 Quad-Core 2.0Ghz, 8GB DDR2 RAM, 10,000 RPM Drive and 1TB Back Up Drive. Connection is a Fios 25/15 DOWN/UP MB.

I'm looking for a company that can handle close to my 20 people and growing.
    20 should be no problem on just about any MC hosting company. You're going to want to look for a minimum of 1GB of RAM for 20 people with no plugins, more RAM per user depending on plugins.

Best,
    Dave
    Cheap VPS Hosting with minimum 99.9% SLA.
    State College, PA VPS Hosting

I have a 2GB minecraft Server, Can handle 25 for me because of my home broadband connection, With a better connection you could handle more.

If you are using the official minecraft servers it will be a lot less, I recommend you use bukkit. It has a great community and a lot of plugin to give minecraft a new feel. There is one small downside, It takes around 24-48 hours longer to release then the official minecraft server whats no big deal as its worth it.
    Host Oger - Professional and affordable hosting services
    Web-Hosting | Reseller Hosting | cPanel/WHM | Softaculous | Litespeed | Dedicated servers

██ http://hostoger.com | sales@hostoger.com

From my experiences with VPS hosting, you really want to ask around on forums, do research and get the info from the provider about what they provide you with. Or go to a server provider, there are good ones out there, but don't be drawn by high prices on some servers. I have gotten perfectly good Servers, for 15$ a month, while getting one for 45$ a month for the same price, which lagged a bit with the same plugins.

Basically, be careful, don't get ripped off.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12