Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Minecraft Gaming Server for Community

I currently run a minecraft server at home using an AMD X4 945 Quad-Core 2.0Ghz, 8GB DDR2 RAM, 10,000 RPM Drive and 1TB Back Up Drive. Connection is a Fios 25/15 DOWN/UP MB.

I'm looking for a company that can handle close to my 20 people and growing.

Most decent providers can easily handle your amount of players.
    There are a few out there, just do some research to find a host with quality services and support.
    Good luck with your search!
    << Please review signature guidelines >>

You can check out a site like this for some links to GSPs, or a google search for Minecraft hosters will also work.

http://gspreview.com/
    www.tcadmin.com
    The Game Hosting Control Panel

If you didn't want to go through another provider, you could get yourself a nice VPS.

Quote Originally Posted by Dasweb View Post
    If you didn't want to go through another provider, you could get yourself a nice VPS.
    That is another great option. With the right VPS company you could start with a lower end VPS and upgrade it as your community grows.
    www.tcadmin.com

From his specifications, it looks like he would need a Dedicated server not a VPS.

Quote Originally Posted by CraterHost View Post
    From his specifications, it looks like he would need a Dedicated server not a VPS.
    You can easily host a 20 slot minecraft server on a small VPS. Something with around 2GB - 3GB of ram should be more than sufficient for 20 players. Store the map in ramdisk rather than on the drive.

Your problem at the moment will be your upload bandwidth. Try and get a server close to where your players are.

I am not sure of the cost of a 3-4 GB VPS with enough bandwidth to handle 20 players. But I just did some shopping and it looks like it may be cheaper to simply go with a GSP and purchase one through them.

Most GSPs will allow you to upgrade the number of slots as needed. Then just collect some small donations from your members and get yourself a Teamspeak or Ventrilo server and your good to game
    www.tcadmin.com

For a minecraft server with few people VPS with good specs is a good start. Switch to a dedicated Server when you reach like 50 - 100 people.

I will have to agree a VPS will be ok to host 20 users but you will need to make sure the VPS can handle the number of plugins you want to use. Plugins can heavily use up the JVM/Memory. Most game hosting providers will be able to offer a custom setup for you on a VPS.

Searching "MineCraft Hosting" into Google should get you a large number of companies you can get in contact with to ask about your requirements.

Hope this helps

I've seen popular minecraft servers use quite a lot of CPU and as much RAM as you allocate them with ease.

Edit: Meant for this post about my minecraft server VPS status to go to a different thread.
    Last edited by ethanrider; 06-15-2011 at 08:24 PM. Reason: see current text.

A vps is more than enough to handle 20 people.. I was running a test minecraft server running Bukkit and several plugins and it would run on average at about 2.5GB of ram with 15 people on it.

I would suggest finding a provider that has decent I/O speed otherwise teleporting and map switch will take a little longer.

Just watch out for VPS's that oversell which cause massive lag in minecraft.

You can handle disk I/O speed issues with tempfs if you have sufficient RAM

If you're searching for a dedicated option try http://www.colocrossing.com or https://www.ubiquityservers.com/, they cater towards game servers.

With Minecraft, it's important to check a lot of settings also. There's some JVM flags that you can configure to improve performance. Additionally, which java are you running 1.6 or 1.7? I saw a great improvement in 1.7 JDK. If you'd like to know more about the settings I'm running, and what we've done to tweak our server, just PM me. I'm happy to share settings, server specs, etc. We don't have many people on, just 8 or so. It's a private server, but it's about to go public.
    Bobby - PreciselyManaged.com - Precision Hosting Solutions
    █ Enterprise Shared, Reseller, VPS, Hybrid, and Dedicated Hosting
    █ SpamExperts | CloudLinux | cPanel | Bacula + R1soft | and more!
    █ Full proactively managed, and we specialize in hosting small web hosts

I'd say dedicated all the way. Remember, if your service sucks initially, your reputation could be damaged to the point were no one wants to come back and use it, even after you upgrade.

Quote Originally Posted by oemd View Post
    I'd say dedicated all the way. Remember, if your service sucks initially, your reputation could be damaged to the point were no one wants to come back and use it, even after you upgrade.
    Personally speaking, and coming from experience, I wouldn't start with dedicated. It's overkill. Start with a solid VPS with good IO, put minecraft in memory if necessary, then monitor the server closely, and upgrade with the provider as needed. VPS's are scalable usually.

Then, when you know you've outgrown it, get a dedicated server, or a hybrid dedicated (one VPS on it's own dedicated hardware).
    Bobby - PreciselyManaged.com - Precision Hosting Solutions
    █ Enterprise Shared, Reseller, VPS, Hybrid, and Dedicated Hosting
    █ SpamExperts | CloudLinux | cPanel | Bacula + R1soft | and more!
    █ Full proactively managed, and we specialize in hosting small web hosts

I would recommend Multiplay.co.uk as you can choose custom slots, along with there custom built control panel XD

A better site to look at is gsprating.com, they have alot more traffic. My own company is listed their as well, and while I thought no one would go there to rate my company, there are already 8 reviews on me and I have only been running for a month, so not too bad.

I recommend fragnet.net check some of their reviews on www.gsprating.com if you want seems like they're doing something right for their customers.
    Bobby Samai - Director of Marketing
    www.peakinternet.com 1.800.731.4871 Ext 4968 24/7 Support Center
    Out to change the way business is being done since 1992
    Colocation | Dedicated | VPS | Shared | Broadband | Fiber

I would suggest www.mpserv.net. They can easily handle a 20 player server for a reasonable budget.
    IOFLOOD.com -- We Love Servers
    Phoenix, AZ Dedicated Servers in under an hour
    ★ Ryzen 9: 7950x3D ★ Dual E5-2680v4 Xeon ★
    Contact Us: sales@ioflood.com

Thanks to the above poster, some of them have really nice buildings!

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast