Question Server downtime and slow response

I have several websites with simple php scripts (without mysql). During the past week, I was noticed about lots of frequent downtimes (from 5min to 2h) by pingdom. When I check the VPS SolusVM control panel, I do not see any problem (e.g. high CPU or memory usage). The traffic of each VPS is about 100KB/s.

In addition to the downtime, the response time has been increased ten times higher (from less than 1s to about 10s). What can be the source of this problem? I can only think of Apache concurrent processes (but it should not be a permanent behavior). Any idea?

are you using any control panel such as WHM?

Were you able to SSH to the server while it was reported as down on pingdom?
    Shared Web Hosting - Reseller Hosting - Semi-Dedicated Servers - SolusVM/XEN VPS
    LiteSpeed Powered - R1Soft Continuous Data Protection - 24/7 Chat/Email/Helpdesk Support
    Cpanel/WHM - Softaculous - R1soft Backup - Litespeed - Cloudlinux -Site Builder- SSH support - Account Migration
    DowntownHost LLC - In Business since 2001- West/Center/East USA - Netherlands - Singapore

Quote Originally Posted by etrader View Post
    I have several websites with simple php scripts (without mysql). During the past week, I was noticed about lots of frequent downtimes (from 5min to 2h) by pingdom. When I check the VPS SolusVM control panel, I do not see any problem (e.g. high CPU or memory usage). The traffic of each VPS is about 100KB/s.

In addition to the downtime, the response time has been increased ten times higher (from less than 1s to about 10s). What can be the source of this problem? I can only think of Apache concurrent processes (but it should not be a permanent behavior). Any idea?
    Hello,

Which platform are you using?
    ██ KVM SSD & SATA VPS | Dedicated Servers | Colocation
    ██ Managed and Self Managed Servers | North Carolina, Washington D.C, London and Texas Data Centers
    ██ www.bigbrainglobal.com | Big Brain Global Networks

I use Virtualmin

5 min downtimes can be random network fluctuations but 2 hours is certainly something else. Have you asked your provider if there was network downtime?

5 min of down time i quite common for host to reboot the server. any logs or records indicated abnormality?
    ControlVM.com :: Cloud Hosting Reliable Xen VPS :: Serving Customer From More Than 40 Countries.
    Hosting Services Available in the USA ● Germany ● Malaysia ● Singapore and Hong Kong

what is ur port speed ?
    do you configure your pingdom to ping from all the list of pingdom's server ?
    Looking for shared or reseller or VPS Hosting ?
    Try our service at https://www.sosys.net!
    Singapore - Indonesia - Malaysia

I'm guessing it's not you. I suspect that you're on an oversold node, and some of your neighbors are sucking the life out of the resources.

It certainly sounds like other customers on the same VPS node are hogging the resources such as CPU and/or RAM. Have you done some speedtests to verify that it's constantly 100KB/s download/upload? You could be possibly shaped to 100KB/s. I'd suggest to get in touch with your provider.

Quote Originally Posted by ajonate View Post
    I'm guessing it's not you. I suspect that you're on an oversold node, and some of your neighbors are sucking the life out of the resources.
    While there could be many different reasons, the one mentioned above it typically the easiest to blame. It sounds like you need to go with a VPS company who proactively monitors for customer impacting things like this. Where they I.D. clients gobbling up too many resources, and as soon as it spikes, they handle it before it becomes an ongoing issue.
    BLAZINGSWITCH | sales /@/ blazingswitch.com
    SEO HOSTING | ARIN/RIPE/APNIC | 250+ CLASS-B | CLEAN IPv4 LEASING | 1G UNMETERED
    HIGH SPEED WEB HOSTING SOLUTIONS | ENTERPRISE GRADE HARDWARE