* How to calculate streaming media bandwidth usage

Hello. Kind of a dumb question here, but I hope someone can help, maybe its just late and I cant think straight. If i were to stream 500 Kbps video to 1000 concurrent users, would my bandwidth usage be 488 Mbps? And if my users increased to a steady 2500 concurrent (obviously multiple servers) - 1.2 Gbps? Is my math screwed up here, or how can anyone afford this bandwidth when most colo providers are charging XX per 1 Mbps or just giving a couple hundred GB of transfer per month. Is there a standard way to calculate bandwidth usage for streaming media?

I guess this is why unmetered plans are popular now..? Any help is appreciated.

It really also depends on the server how much you can stream.
    The 500 Kbps is 500 Kbit per second. So 500/8 = 62.5 KBps you really need. With 1000 viewers this is 61 MBytes per second, multiply by 8 and you get 488 MBps. So yes, you neeed 488 MBps but it also depends on the video. Some videos might burst higher than 500 Kbit and lower.
    Regards,
    Yourwebhoster.eu [NL] based hosting
    Shared | Reseller | KVM VPS | Reseller VPS

Quote Originally Posted by yourwebhostereu View Post
    It really also depends on the server how much you can stream.
    The 500 Kbps is 500 Kbit per second. So 500/8 = 62.5 KBps you really need. With 1000 viewers this is 61 MBytes per second, multiply by 8 and you get 488 MBps. So yes, you neeed 488 MBps but it also depends on the video. Some videos might burst higher than 500 Kbit and lower.
    So to take the example farther for 1000 users... 61 MB/s = 5 TB/day = about 150 TB/month

Sound right? Wow.

At 1Gbps+ commitments the price per meg goes down to a single digit and usually < US$ 5/Meg.

Ok makes sense. What would I be looking to pay for 500-1000Mbps in bandwidth if I colocate? Just ballpark, out of curiosity?

Depends on the location and carriers available at that location.

Quote Originally Posted by rezilient View Post
    Ok makes sense. What would I be looking to pay for 500-1000Mbps in bandwidth if I colocate? Just ballpark, out of curiosity?
    It depends on the location and network. Because of the forum rules
    I can't advertise how much it would be when you would colocate it with Yourwebhoster.eu, but depending on the amount of traffic starting at 1 Gbit it can be $3+ with some providers. Some providers will charge more, but it depends on your needs and targets if a provider can fit your needs (like good speed at your location).
    Regards,
    Yourwebhoster.eu [NL] based hosting
    Shared | Reseller | KVM VPS | Reseller VPS

That's a lot of bandwidth. You might be able to get some decent dedicated server deals with 100TB.com.

If you're interested in colocation...

Cogent has a special for an unmetered Gig port right now of $1/Meg. That's $1,000/mo for 1000Mbps. Cogent has a list of locations they are in on their web site: http://www.cogentco.com/en/network/service-locations

I've also heard of HE unmetered Gig ports for $1 - $1.50/Meg. They have less POPs than Cogent though.

Good luck! Keep us updated.
    Jason Canady
    Unlimited Net, LLC AS11990
    Responsive, Reliable, Secure
    Dedicated Server Hosting

is my math right ?
    Conceptually yes, reality is that you need to have more bandwidth available, especially for one-off events such as concerts. We have a minimum of 1.5x overhead for expected crowds. (If they sell 50,000 tickets or expect 50,000 viewers, we setup for 75,000)

how can anyone afford this bandwidth ?
    Bandwidth is a portion of the total streaming costs. Your labor, hardware, colo, power, software, etc etc costs are going to add up quickly.
    If you are asking this question now, you need to reevaluate your business model.

Just keep in mind you don't want to push a single port beyond 80% utilization for streaming media. There has to be some room for bursty traffic, not just the video itself but the client player's internal buffers.
    Fast Serv Networks, LLC | AS29889 | Fully Managed Cloud, Streaming, Dedicated Servers, Colo by-the-U
    Since 2003 - Ashburn VA + San Diego CA Datacenters

Quote Originally Posted by Jasonsite View Post
    That's a lot of bandwidth. You might be able to get some decent dedicated server deals with 100TB.com.
    Yep! Most of our customers are using 100TB.
    Flash Live & VoD Streaming solutions 4 All.
    RTMP, HTML5, RTSP