what kind of domain should I choose?

I plan to set up a technical blog recently. But I am not sure which solution is better for me.
    One option is applying a free blog on Blogger.com, with a domain name like : myblog.blogspot.com. Everything will go smooth and free.
    Another option is to register a domain name like myblog.com and also pay for the hosting service per year. Then spend sometime to figure out how Wordpress work and set my blog up.

My question is: what is the advantage of the later? Will it attract more visitors or will Google add more weight on it?

thanks.

Use Wordpress.com http://en.wordpress.com/features/ for free they allow you to use your own Domain with their service. I think that's the best starting point.

Wordpress.com and Wordpress.org should not be confused.

The former is a hosted service requiring little knowledge to use and the latter is the software itself that you can download, customise and host yourself.
    I could tell you a joke about UDP. But I'm not sure you would get it!

I think the latter is the best way to go if you can afford the registration/hosting. That way you own all the traffic, forever.
    Signature Under Construction.

Whether or not you choose hosting from Wordpress, it's very simple to install on any hosting service. I'd highly recommend getting your own domain name for increased visibility - people are far more apt to notice a unique .com than a Blogger subdomain.

I can express the point that wordpress will be the best option for running blogs. It has so many useful functions and easy-to-use.

having your own domain name and running it one shared server with your own wordpress installed is always a advantage in place of free bloger site

Ofcourse go with hosting and get your own domain.
    Main Domain Name will taking advantages rather than sub domain
    Why go with blogspot? I know it free but every feature you need to download your own.
    Why not go with hosting and use wordpress, there are lot of free template, easy set up, lot of free plug in which will help in your blog.
    For me i feel that get a hosting blog rather than blogspot. That my suggestion.

Somehow people take the free blogs as unprofessional so the later option is more feasible in my opinion.
    Aniqa - Support Representative
    █ WooServers - Affordable, Fast & Reliable Servers
    █ 24/7/365 Premium Monitoring & Highly Qualified Staff!
    █ WooServers.com | cPanel Dedicated Server | European Dedicated Servers

Quote Originally Posted by Aniqa View Post
    Somehow people take the free blogs as unprofessional so the later option is more feasible in my opinion.
    If you're running a commercial site then yes, but if it's your own personal blog, blogspot and wordpress.com work fine and are not looked down upon. It all depends on what you write and who you reach. I know plenty of high profiled bloggers on those platforms who are well respected.

Quote Originally Posted by coax View Post
    If you're running a commercial site then yes, but if it's your own personal blog, blogspot and wordpress.com work fine and are not looked down upon. It all depends on what you write and who you reach. I know plenty of high profiled bloggers on those platforms who are well respected.
    You are 100% right. There are many well respected bloggers that use blogger or wordpress.com but for a new comer it would be a tough entry unless he's willing to invest high with his time and efforts.
    Aniqa - Support Representative
    █ WooServers - Affordable, Fast & Reliable Servers
    █ 24/7/365 Premium Monitoring & Highly Qualified Staff!
    █ WooServers.com | cPanel Dedicated Server | European Dedicated Servers

Getting your own domain and installing Wordpress is the best option since Wordpress is easy to use and manage, yet you need to have a budget for the domain and hosting.

Domain names are unique on the Internet, you can't have two the same, no matter how you try..
    Resellerid.com
    Cheap & Powerfull Reseller Domain

RESELLERID.COM | Affordable Domain Solution
    Reseller your domain and making profit

If you are just starting out, blogspot is the easiest option.

Afterward, you might consider getting your own domain and hosting with wordpress.

If you not not want to be bothered with technical detail, just go with Wordpress or Blogspot.
    But one thing is very important, you have to use YOUR own domain name.
    Wordpress offer domain mapping for US$10 per year (CMIIW) and Blogspot offer it for free.
    So when your blog became popular and you are ready, you just switch to web hosting (shared, vps, dedicated, or etc) and migrate your data.

I suppose while you are choosing your domain name you need to follow those simple rules
    - domain name better have with COM
    - `domain name better to have as short as possible
    - domain name should be memorable

Register a domain name which is easy to remember and go with hosting. It won't take more time to figure out how WordPress works, and the excellent thing is WordPress is friendly with Search Engines.

I would choose the latter way .