Need help finding new host for growing wp site.

My site is currently hosted on hostgator but I'm starting to outgrow it due to a few thousand daily visitors.

I've done a lot of research and decided my best bet would be a fully managed vps or fully managed cloud host. My budget is around $20/month. The issue is I don't understand what specs will translate into a host that can do what I need. There are a million and 1 hosts. Which do I choose?!

Some info:
    • Most my visitors come from New York City.
    • I used about 10 gig http transfer per month.
    • Server needs to be able to handle 20 visitors trying to load the same page within seconds of each other.
    • Server needs to be able to handle 10 pdfs between 1-10mb being uploaded via php by different users at the same time.
    • I need to be able to install (or have already pre-installed) Ghostscript, Memcache, ImageMagik.
    • I need to have a simple to use interface like cpanel.
    • Lastly, the standard things like great customer service, fast page loading, etc.

Thank you so much for your help in advance.
    Last edited by Chaim Sash; 05-17-2011 at 04:39 PM. Reason: added new info

Did u track how much bandwith u were using on average on ur previous Host i.e. Hostgator?

Quote Originally Posted by HostBhai View Post
    Did u track how much bandwith u were using on average on ur previous Host i.e. Hostgator?
    It would be about 10 gig http transfer per month. But I soetimes get traffic spikes. I had a few days with 1.5 gig/day
    Last edited by Chaim Sash; 05-17-2011 at 04:43 PM. Reason: spelling

I would reccomend a fully managed vps that way you can install all the apps you need (Most fully managed services will install things for you, if you dont know how)

10 GB its not much each month so budget plans should definetly suit you. And go for a US location seen as most of your visitors are US based.

Hope you find something to suit
    Virtual6 - UK Dedicated Servers, Colocation and VPS.
    UK Supermicro Xeon E3-1240v3 Dedicated servers, up to 4x drives, 8GB - 32GB RAM.
    European KVM VPS with guaranteed vCPU, Auto DDoS detection & mitigation, Proxmox VE 3.x control panel.

10 GB is quite Ok
    Try raising your budget little budget, alone cPanel would cost u $10, it would be very difficult for u to find good VPS provider with that much budget

Try raising your budget
    I can consider $30 at most. Does that help?

Definitely that would help you. As ukscservers said find for VPS providers that provide VPS on US Servers.
    Hope that would help you

Also, another great feature would be a host that can move my site over free of charge.

As ukscservers said find for VPS providers that provide VPS on US Servers.
    That's my main issue. There are hundreds of vps providers. Who do I choose? Who's the best for my budget?

With that many concurrent visitors and advanced functionality, you might want to look at a small dedicated server for yourself. Or what's being marketed as a 'Hybrid' server.

$20/mo probably won't cut it if you want everything. cPanel licensing for a VPS alone is $12 at the least. If you want to make do without cPanel, you might get by.

Again though, you do need to raise your budget and look for a small dedicated server.

That's just my opinion though. Many people will come in here and flame me saying that a VPS could handle you just fine. My response would be, "A site with that kind of traffic, 'just fine' may not be what you're looking for."

Based on the actual traffic you're generating (in terms of GBs transferred per month), it does not appear that you actually require a dedicated server or VPS. You will probably be fine with a quality shared hosting account, especially if you make good use of caching on your WordPress blog.

If you have not already, you should definitely look into WP-Super-Cache: http://wordpress.org/extend/plugins/wp-super-cache/
    MediaLayer, LLC - www.medialayer.com Learn how we can make your website load faster, translating to better conversion rates for your business!
    The pioneers of optimized web hosting, featuring LiteSpeed Web Server & SSD Storage - Celebrating 10 Years in Business

I have to agree with Layer0; 20 concurrent users and a few thousand per day is not a heavy load. Especially with about 10GB of data transfer per month.

You might look for a "semi-dedicated" shared plan, or a host that gets good reviews for site speed with Wordpress, Joomla or other database driven sites.

For your site, with most customers from NYC, it would make sense to find a host with servers in the eastern US.

As far as a VPS, you could probably run your site on a VPS with 512MB RAM, but it will be hard to find a fully managed VPS with cPanel under $30 to $40 a month.

The inexpensive VPS you see are unmanaged, and not ready for installation of your site. They come with the OS, but not everything you need. You would usually have to install MySQL, PHP and a firewall from the command line, configure the firewall, etc. Adding cPanel to such a VPS will install these for you, but requires a monthly commitment of $12 to $15 on top of the low monthly VPS cost. That puts you at about $20 - $25 per month, but be prepared to pay the $65 per hour tech support fee if you need help managing your server for updates, etc.

You might be able to find a semi-managed VPS that the company sets up for you with a LAMP server and a free control panel like Kloxo for $10 to $15. I'm experimenting with such a set up now, but I'm not sure its ready for prime time.

Get yourself a Linode 512 for $20 a month.
    Hosting is like a box of chocolates, you never know what you're gonna get.

Quote Originally Posted by Chaim Sash View Post
    My site is currently hosted on hostgator but I'm starting to outgrow it due to a few thousand daily visitors.

I've done a lot of research and decided my best bet would be a fully managed vps or fully managed cloud host. My budget is around $20/month. The issue is I don't understand what specs will translate into a host that can do what I need. There are a million and 1 hosts. Which do I choose?!

Some info:
    • Most my visitors come from New York City.
    • I used about 10 gig http transfer per month.
    • Server needs to be able to handle 20 visitors trying to load the same page within seconds of each other.
    • Server needs to be able to handle 10 pdfs between 1-10mb being uploaded via php by different users at the same time.
    • I need to be able to install (or have already pre-installed) Ghostscript, Memcache, ImageMagik.
    • I need to have a simple to use interface like cpanel.
    • Lastly, the standard things like great customer service, fast page loading, etc.

Thank you so much for your help in advance.
    Is their a particular reason why you feel that your website is outgrowing your shared web hosting account? Have you noticed a recent dip in performance or has HG contacted you about your site exceeding limits?
    Need Web Hosting? Click Here to Learn Why You Should Switch To FernGullyGraphics
    FernGullyGraphics --- 426 14th St. Suite #115 --- Modesto, California --- 95354

Need Business Cards? Click Here

Your budget of $20 is just right to get a VPS managed server. If you choose a company with a home built control panel system so you can avoid cpanel and the extra fees with it, then you will have no problems getting running at that amount. You just need to monitor your CPU and RAM once you get up and running and as time goes on then you can upgrade resources as you need. If you get a hosting company with top notch support, they will provide you what you need to monitor all this and also help you along they way.

For a full managed VPS your budget is too low, however, based on your stats, and if you are not using resources intensive WP plugins (one-in-all-seo, etc) you should be fine on a reliable shared host.
    Shared Web Hosting - Reseller Hosting - Semi-Dedicated Servers - SolusVM/XEN VPS
    LiteSpeed Powered - R1Soft Continuous Data Protection - 24/7 Chat/Email/Helpdesk Support
    Cpanel/WHM - Softaculous - R1soft Backup - Litespeed - Cloudlinux -Site Builder- SSH support - Account Migration
    DowntownHost LLC - In Business since 2001- West/Center/East USA - Netherlands - Singapore

With a budget of only $20-$30/month, you may be best served with quality shared hosting. What kind of problems are you having that makes you think you need to switch to VPS?