New design for tourism / social network site for Ireland

Hey,

I have been working on a new design for my site - Http://www.NorthWestSocial.com

I just wanted to get some feedback on it so far.
    The main site has been changed but I am still working on other sections because they use different scripts, I want to get the basics of the main site finished first so I dont have to update each script again

Thanks for any help!
    John Diver
    CanaryHotspot.com - Canary Island forum and information
    InternationalChatForum.com - International Travel Chat Forum and information

Anyone please
    John Diver

It may just be me, but your logo seems to have some quality issues.

The overall design of the site is good, but I'm not a fan of the ad placement under the nav bar, it seems way out of place and breaks the "flow" of the site.

The instant messanger box is cut off, which may be fine for some but I'm OCD about that sort of stuff.

Perhaps give it some more life by adding even a simple background? It feels a bit "awkward" to have that much white space.

Bottom line:
    Up the quality of some of the graphics, add some form of background to rid yourself of the "white stare", and perhaps fix the chat box and ad placement.

Overall it's a clean design, which is a great, with a few tweaks I'd say it would be 100% up to par.

Thanks very much for the reply and feedback!

As to the quality, I'm not sure if you mean at the very top left between the logo and the "NWS" - between those there are 2 small parts that shouldn't have been in the image slice, I have those corrected on my own local server and just have to upload those ASAP.
    Is that what you meant?

The instant messenger box is something I have been trying to fix for a long time, its a problem with the script that I am trying to find a workaround, it also annoys me

The problem with the ad placement is I don't have anywhere else to put it.

When logged in and out something will always be beside the logo so it cant be put there, I thought putting it below the navbar would be the best place where it can be seen and not in the way - Right now its using adsense but it will be changed to the same size of banner for local businesses and community events so it is more targeted and related to the visitors on the site.

What type of simple background do you think would look better?
    I wanted to use the white so it was vibrant but also simplistic to view and use, Im more than open to suggestions

Thanks once again for taking a look!

John
    John Diver