When to switch from Shared Hosting to VPS

Hi guys,

can you please recommend me when should I switch my WP blog from Shared hosting to VPS? Or should I switch Apache Shared hosting to Litespeed Shared Hosting and just after this move to VPS?

Thank you.
    Traveltipy - Travel Tips for Your Trips!

When you start running out of resources or require higher level permissions than your current host will allow.

Quote Originally Posted by TygerrTygerr View Post
    When you start running out of resources or require higher level permissions than your current host will allow.
    Ok, and can be VPS worse than shared hosting? Slower?
    Traveltipy - Travel Tips for Your Trips!

I personally recommend VPS over a shared solution. It really is just better all the way around when it comes to resource management and the ability to run more advanced scripts, plus ROOT access.

While I am sure the main attraction of shared is the low cost, especially when it comes to the cPanel, DirectAdmin or other add ons. I simply do not see the value for a serious online business person to screw around with shared and have other clowns effecting their business. It could happen with VPS to some degree, yet less likely if you are at a decent provider.

Good luck sire!
    BLAZINGSWITCH | sales /@/ blazingswitch.com
    SEO HOSTING | ARIN/RIPE/APNIC | 250+ CLASS-B | CLEAN IPv4 LEASING | 1G UNMETERED
    HIGH SPEED WEB HOSTING SOLUTIONS | ENTERPRISE GRADE HARDWARE

I recommend going to VPS as soon as you can. Shared hosting is just a luck of the draw account. You can be affected at anytime by john doe on your same shared server. He could use up all the resources or even crash the machine. With VPS you have all you own dedicated resources. Move to VPS and choose a hosting provider that will provide you the MRTG graphs to monitor your resources (CPU/RAM) and help you along the way. As your site grows, then you can upgrade the server. Budget also comes into play here but I think you would see better results and stability on VPS compared to shared.

imho, if you got more than 100 unique visitors daily, it's the time to move for a vps.
    please cmiiw always

Quote Originally Posted by lentak View Post
    Hi guys,

can you please recommend me when should I switch my WP blog from Shared hosting to VPS? Or should I switch Apache Shared hosting to Litespeed Shared Hosting and just after this move to VPS?

Thank you.
    When you need more control over how the operating system and services (like web service, mail service, etc.) are configured. In other words, when you want to manage the entire server environment.

If all you need is more resources, then get a better shared hosting plan.

hmmm... I am new to this guys, so bear with me here... I use Homestead... I assume it's considered shared services... VPS sounds like an expensive solution... is it not?? Could you please give some examples of good VPS hosting companies?

I am surprised by the response above regarding 100+ visitors... that's not a high number... it sounds like VPS is really a necessity after some point...

LOL 100+ visitors won't overload your shared hosting unless of course your site eats alot of resources and memory.

I have a WP site in the past who gets 200-300 visits + per day and its working fine in a shared hosting.

I maintain bots shared and a VPS hosting. VPS for serious projects and shared not so serious projects.

I suggest to use a caching software if your site is in a Wordpress platform to avoid eating too much resources.
    Extreme SEO Philippines - Reliable SEO in Philippines with Proven Track Record
    Also Offer Social Media Optimization Service

Yes, a VPS may actually provide less room for your website depending on what company you choose, how much resources you have, etc. It's not always very clear-cut.

These days, good shared hosting providers are actually very cost-efficient if you don't need a custom hosting environment.

can you please recommend me when should I switch my WP blog from Shared hosting to VPS
    Probably never - is there some technical reason you need to *downgrade* your blog hosting to a VPS ?
    Rob Golding Astutium Ltd - UK based ICANN Accredited Domain Registrar - proud to accept BitCoins
    Buying Web Hosts and Domain Registrars Today @ hostacquisitions.co.uk
    UK Web Hosting | UK VPS | UK Dedicated Servers | ADSL/FTTC | Backup/DR | Cloud
    UK Colocation | Reseller Accounts | IPv6 Transit | Secondary MX | DNS | WHMCS Modules

Shared/Reseller is usually faster than VPS if VPS has low spec like 128MB-256MB RAM.

Quote Originally Posted by HostXNow View Post
    Shared/Reseller is usually faster than VPS if VPS has low spec like 128MB-256MB RAM.
    Only if 128/256 MB RAM is insufficient for what the user is trying to host.

VPS hosting can be slower than quality shared hosting when either (a) the user tries to do too much with too little, or (b) the VPS provider overcrowds the host node, impacting the performance of individual VPSs.