The few rackmount servers and desktops that I'd built not so many years ago now have an obsolete part - PATA IDE disks and hot swap bays.
Now it's time for me to put together another rackmount server again. I'd like to seek your wisdom as to what I sould avoid.
Currently, I'm looking at:
* Supermicro SC826TQ-R800LPB (2u, 12 x sata-300 h/s bays).
- Are sata-300 bays a bad idea going forward into the future?
Motherboard / cpu
* Possibly a Supermicro C7Q67 motherboard with i7-2600
* Possibly a Supermicro X9SCM motherboard with i3-2100 or xeon e31220
* Possibly a Supermicro X8ST3 motherboard with prev gen i7 cpu
Additional SAS/SATA ports
- Since the chassis comes with 12 bays, I will either need a motherboard with both 8xsas + 6xsata, or pick a motherboard with 6xsata and add on another sata/sas controller. Recommendations?
- I'm planning to do linux software raid, so jbod will do.
- Is there a better alternative to linux software raid? flexraid? etc.
Thanks for your advice.
bumping up my number of posts by another one...