Need a Minecraft VPS

I've been spending the better part of the day looking for a VPS for Minecraft.

Currently I have a VPSNOC High-Memory plan, but I'm getting tired of it. Uptimes are... something. Customer support would be godawful if it existed, though the general lack of responses makes this hard to discuss. I tend to get lag spikes which make gameplay difficult.

At any rate, I'm looking for a host that will get me a machine with thereabouts of these stats:

Unmanaged
    1-1.5GB dedicated RAM
    15-20GB of disk space (pretty negotiable)
    100mbps, metered is fine and I doubt I'll need more than 500GB/mo
    Xen preferred
    I don't really need any panels, though having a free one would be icing on the cake, I suppose.
    A responsive support team. I don't necessarily need my problems fixed :RIGHTNOW:, but I'd like to have timely communication to let me know they're active.

I'm currently spending ~$20 for a plan on VPSNOC and am willing to stay around there, plus/minus a fiver.

Any advice would be appreciated. Every host I've looked at has has a series of very negative reviews, so I'm really desperate for advice.

Did you have a location in mind for the VPS? The closer the VPS is to you and your players the better the latency you'll get.
    Psychz Networks - Dedicated Servers, Co-location | GigePipe - High Bandwidth Servers | PhotonVPS - SSD Cloud
    True Layer 7 DDoS Mitigation | BGP Optimized by Noction Intelligent Routing | Asia-Pacific Low Latency Routes
    Los Angeles, CA (US West) | Dallas, TX (US East) | Ashburn, VA (US East)

Quote Originally Posted by PhotonVPS-Jim View Post
    Did you have a location in mind for the VPS? The closer the VPS is to you and your players the better the latency you'll get.
    East Coast USA would be ideal.

Quote Originally Posted by JerikTelorian View Post
    I've been spending the better part of the day looking for a VPS for Minecraft.

Currently I have a VPSNOC High-Memory plan, but I'm getting tired of it. Uptimes are... something. Customer support would be godawful if it existed, though the general lack of responses makes this hard to discuss. I tend to get lag spikes which make gameplay difficult.

At any rate, I'm looking for a host that will get me a machine with thereabouts of these stats:

Unmanaged
    1-1.5GB dedicated RAM
    15-20GB of disk space (pretty negotiable)
    100mbps, metered is fine and I doubt I'll need more than 500GB/mo
    Xen preferred
    I don't really need any panels, though having a free one would be icing on the cake, I suppose.
    A responsive support team. I don't necessarily need my problems fixed :RIGHTNOW:, but I'd like to have timely communication to let me know they're active.

I'm currently spending ~$20 for a plan on VPSNOC and am willing to stay around there, plus/minus a fiver.

Any advice would be appreciated. Every host I've looked at has has a series of very negative reviews, so I'm really desperate for advice.
    Which other companies have you used in the past so that we do not recommend them?

I will have to dig into some history but I recall there being a "MC Hosting" or something of the same nature advertise here on WHT.

Have you checked the offers section?
    ██ KVM SSD & SATA VPS | Dedicated Servers | Colocation
    ██ Managed and Self Managed Servers | North Carolina, Washington D.C, London and Texas Data Centers
    ██ www.bigbrainglobal.com | Big Brain Global Networks

Hey look at ioflood.com, they have Xen and it is very stable/reliable. They have money back guaranteed so you could give them a try, i doubt youll find something better for the price that they have.

Regards,

Usually lag spikes in minecraft are due to not having enough cpu, and minecraft is very cpu heavy. It is easy enough to max out an entire cpu core with a minecraft server, at which point there is nothing a host can do to help you, as minecraft is single threaded. The only solution is to reduce the number of players on the server, or otherwise make the minecraft server have less work to do, such as disabling features or using a smaller / less complicated map.
    Phoenix Dedicated Servers -- IOFLOOD.com
    Email: sales [at] ioflood.com
    Backup Storage VPS -- 1TBVPS.com

Minecraft server is real RAM hog. You need to look at least for 6 or 8GB of RAM. Best decision is go for dedicated server with C2Q 9XXX class CPU and decent amount of RAM (For RAM disk). I doubt that you feel comfortable with <2GB RAM.
    Time4VPS - flexible, worry-free, fast and affordable VPS hosting in Europe.

RAM must be bigger of course.
    Usually Minecraft server eats much memory.

Check out brohoster. Their pretty good, and rent their equipment from SoftLayer.

They're extremely popular and affordable.

I'm also considering setup a minecraft server just for myself and some of my friends < 5, really confused if I can run it on a openvz VPS, since I've never got java sdk running on a 384mb openvz VPS.

Did you look in the "Other Hosting Offers" section at WHT?

You can find some Minecraft offers here:
    http://www.webhostingtalk.com/forumdisplay.php?f=132

Look at 123systems
    LowEndStock.com ★ Budget VPS Stock List & Comparison Table!

Quote Originally Posted by epigraph View Post
    I'm also considering setup a minecraft server just for myself and some of my friends < 5, really confused if I can run it on a openvz VPS, since I've never got java sdk running on a 384mb openvz VPS.
    You need way more memory for minecraft. OpneVZ, Xen, doesn't matter. Just enough memory. Have a look in the advertising section.
    SlickWebHost::Quality Personal and Business Hosting Solutions
    USA and UK, CloudLinux, LiteSpeed, R1Soft Shared Hosting
    USA and UK Virtual Private Servers with Best Connectivity to Europe, North America and Asia
    SlickWebHost::Non-outsourced 24/7 Support

Thanks for the advice folks; I ended up looking at Brohoster, but eventually shifted to Multiplay. I decided that the downside of a VPS outmatched the benefits (with a VPS, I had to handle updates myself, with Multiplay they take care of that)

I'm having some issues cancelling VPSNoc now, though, so we'll see how this pans out.They've been ignoring my tickets for approaching a month now.