Going to 'visit' my Dedicated Server

Hi guys,

So i've been troubleshooting A LOT with my (unmanaged) dedicated server. Couldnt get Directadmin to work on it etc, i'm thinking that it has something to do with the 'special distribution' of FreeBSD my hosting provider has installed on it.

I'm gonna go visit the datacenter coming friday to install a different OS. (probably the 'normal' FreeBSD distri).

So my question is how do I 'physically' install FreeBSD on the server? Since there are no monitors attached, can I connect the server to my laptop, or should I bring a separate screen?

Thanks!

you're allowed to visit? i thought that was for colo only (as far as i know most places don't allow you in if you don't own any hardware)

Typically, datacenters have a 'crash cart' that is essentially a monitor, keyboard and mouse on wheels. But you should probably confirm that with them. Very, very few providers will allow dedicated server customers into their facilities.
    Seattle, WA - Gigabit Carrier & Network Services Provider
    Uptime | Atlas Networks

also,
    Quote Originally Posted by ItsInTheName View Post
    So my question is how do I 'physically' install FreeBSD on the server? Since there are no monitors attached, can I connect the server to my laptop, or should I bring a separate screen?

Thanks!
    You ask the datacenter to connect a kvm over ip for you and mount freebsd iso on the drive. (normally this for dedicated)

Thanks for the answers,

just for clarification,

Im basically 'renting' the hardware from company A, and company A places it under collocation at company B.
    So company B sees me as the 'owner' of the rack(and doesnt know the server is owned by A...hope that makes sense).

By the way, I had access to the server via SSH...however...when i tried to fix one of the problems with the firewall I locked myself out, so remote access is out of the question.

What others are trying to say is "get access to the server like you would when you're in the datacenter": Get a KVM connection.

It's simply a remote (virtual) media (CD/Floppy), keyboard, mouse and screen connection over the internet.

This way you can connect a local ISO to the "virtual"-cdrom player on the server (which the KVM creates) and thus you can install any OS you like from your home.

One month rental will probably cost less then the time it takes whem driving to the DC and waiting for install. (time = money!)

Request this at your ISP
    Pr0jects Web Services
    Managed, secure and fast hosting!
    http://www.pr0jects.nl
    http://www.vpsservers.co

You can install freebsd remotely with only SSH.
    I have done it a few times.
    http://www.freebsd.org/doc/en/articl...eparation.html
    High Quality Web Hosting from Host Ultra
    Visit us online at www.hostultra.com

As long as you are going there just use the crash cart that they will have. If they dont have a simple crash cart then I would question why my stuff was there.
    SolutionPro Inc
    www.solutionpro.com
    Colocation Server Hosting
    Virtual Server Hosting

Thanks for the answers,

just for clarification,

Im basically 'renting' the hardware from company A, and company A places it under collocation at company B.
    So company B sees me as the 'owner' of the rack(and doesnt know the server is owned by A...hope that makes sense).

By the way, I had access to the server via SSH...however...when i tried to fix one of the problems with the firewall I locked myself out, so remote access is out of the question.
    you can save the gas and just ask your host to put an ip kvm on the machine for you.

Thanks,

However...the support I get from the data center is literally zero, and from my hosting provider (the company that owns the server) is very limited (basically no software support on any level).

I'll give it a try to get the kvm working.

@ Host Ultra, I cant connect via SSH anymore (somehow..)
    @ SolutionProInc, if I knew about all the troubleshooting I would be doing from the start I wouldnt have rented it there in the first place...but its a 1 yr contract...so no other option now then to make it work.

Ill keep u guys posted.

I'm not guru in this but I'm sure you will not need to have direct acess to your server at all and will be able to install that from your come having root/ssh.

Thanks,

However...the support I get from the data center is literally zero, and from my hosting provider (the company that owns the server) is very limited (basically no software support on any level).

I'll give it a try to get the kvm working.

@ Host Ultra, I cant connect via SSH anymore (somehow..)
    @ SolutionProInc, if I knew about all the troubleshooting I would be doing from the start I wouldnt have rented it there in the first place...but its a 1 yr contract...so no other option now then to make it work.

Ill keep u guys posted.
    KVM-over-IP is a hardware solution, so there's a chance :-)
    Pr0jects Web Services
    Managed, secure and fast hosting!
    http://www.pr0jects.nl
    http://www.vpsservers.co

Thumbs up very professional

Quote Originally Posted by Pr0jects View Post
    What others are trying to say is "get access to the server like you would when you're in the datacenter": Get a KVM connection.

It's simply a remote (virtual) media (CD/Floppy), keyboard, mouse and screen connection over the internet.

This way you can connect a local ISO to the "virtual"-cdrom player on the server (which the KVM creates) and thus you can install any OS you like from your home.

One month rental will probably cost less then the time it takes whem driving to the DC and waiting for install. (time = money!)

Request this at your ISP
    and This is a very professional way!
    Even you can have a cup of Tea while you are installing the OS
    DevOps / VoIP Engineer / Linux System Engineer
    Available