Thread: Selling on ebay

Cool Selling on ebay

Hi Folks,

Just thought I would get an opinion from the wider community on selling services e.g. dedicated servers, VPS, shared hosting on ebay.

If I am being frank something about it seems wrong and I cant put my finger on why it is just a gut feeling.

Has anyone got any experiences to share good or bad about selling your services on ebay, I may give it a go just to "suck it and see" but would welcome feedback from the community good or bad?
    -> INCEPTION HOSTING LIMITED
    -> QUALITY XEN & OpenVZ VPS HOSTING
    -> PHOENIX & MIAMI USA & THE NETHERLANDS & UK EU
    -> WHITE LABEL XEN VPS RESELLER PLANS

They were also my thoughts Noppix, I had a look and there are lots of people doing it, and there are also allot of auctions that have e.g. 5 of 10 sold 5 available so people must be buying them from ebay.

Honestly it had never occurred to me to consider ebay as a marketplace for hosting then it just popped in to my head at random and sure enough I found that people are selling on ebay and people are buying.

But again, for some reason it just does not seem quite right.
    -> INCEPTION HOSTING LIMITED
    -> QUALITY XEN & OpenVZ VPS HOSTING
    -> PHOENIX & MIAMI USA & THE NETHERLANDS & UK EU
    -> WHITE LABEL XEN VPS RESELLER PLANS

Considering you have to give ebay a percentage of what ever you sell on ebay, I wouldn't do it. Also, if you look at most of the plans being sold on there its all unrealistic stuff, like unlimited web hosting for the rest of your life for only $5.00..

My guess is most of the companies selling web hosting on ebay are fly by night type of companies.
    Need Web Hosting? Click Here to Learn Why You Should Switch To FernGullyGraphics
    FernGullyGraphics --- 426 14th St. Suite #115 --- Modesto, California --- 95354

Need Business Cards? Click Here

Quote Originally Posted by FernGullyGraphics View Post
    My guess is most of the companies selling web hosting on ebay are fly by night type of companies.
    Probably not even that. Just straight Nigerian prince level scams.

Quote Originally Posted by Noppix View Post
    Probably not even that. Just straight Nigerian prince level scams.
    Ha, I did not even think about that and you are probably right.
    Need Web Hosting? Click Here to Learn Why You Should Switch To FernGullyGraphics

HostGator sells on ebay... It can be done, just be prepeared to deal with many scammers and/or ignorant people.
    HOSTLEET.COM, LLC - Elite Website Hosting Since 2008!
    Fast Reliable Affordable Secure Friendly & Courteous
    RISK-FREE Money Back Guarantee PCI-Compliant Checkout
    U.S.A Based & Operated Read Through Our Most F.A.Q's!

Quote Originally Posted by HostLeet View Post
    HostGator sells on ebay... It can be done, just be prepeared to deal with many scammers and/or ignorant people.
    I could be wrong but it looks like HostGator's affiliates selling their hosting.

If it is in-fact HostGator then perhaps we're missing out on a opportunity

EDIT: I can confirm that the listing I was reading had an affiliate link. It looks like people are doing it for the traffic and hopping that someone clicks on the link in the listing rather than actually selling web hosting directly.
    Zomex ~ Templates & services for web hosting resellers since 2009!
    #1 Responsive whmcs templates | WHMCS | Wordpress | HTML5 | Settings area
    █ Hire us for responsive whmcs integration - enhance your website using the new "Six" template!

Quote Originally Posted by zomex View Post
    I could be wrong but it looks like HostGator's affiliates selling their hosting.
    Thats somewhat odd, how would hostgator affiliates go about selling web hosting on ebay?

:: EDIT :: Never mind, I just saw your explanation about the traffic hopping.

Some of the various nation specific Ebay sites don't allow the selling of 'virtual goods' such as hosting. I looked into it as an experiment once but Ebay Australia doesn't allow you to do it.
    Small Space Hosting
    Bringing you the best of Aussie Service and US based Servers. Now Accepting Payments in USD & AUD
    Shared | Reseller | Shoutcast
    HostAdz.com - Advertising For Webhosts

I don 't think ebay is a good place for advertising/promoting your service. Also, be careful of the scammers around.

I used to sell on eBay...it is a very competitive market full of scammers. It really is not worth the time or effort because everyone is looking for an incredible deal and the scammers will be able to offer a far more attractive package.

Quote Originally Posted by FernGullyGraphics View Post
    Considering you have to give ebay a percentage of what ever you sell on ebay, I wouldn't do it.
    Even I wouldn't do it for the same reason. Why give extra commission to someone else?

There is a fat chance that many 'clients' from these sources would be either ignorant enough to consume lot of your time or troublesome enough to give your other clients a bad remark about you. (say by spamming or something like that)
    "You got a dream... You gotta protect it. People can't do somethin' themselves, they wanna tell you you can't do it. If you want somethin', go get it. Period." - Pursuit of Happyness

Try competing with those unrealistic prices as a seller, and you will soon know you are wasting your time (have tried it). Lets just keep ebay for buying/selling electronics, books, video games or anything else you can't find on store shelves.
    Reliable budget VPS Hosting provided by AreLink.com
    HostingDale.com - Shared, XEN-VPS, and Dedicated Hosting!

Quote Originally Posted by prashanth[HC] View Post
    Even I wouldn't do it for the same reason. Why give extra commission to someone else?
    Is it? I wouldn't mind at all if it was possible to get a new monthly paying customer for a few dollars in making an attractive offer on eBay. If you are advertising already, you know a $2 fee from eBay is far cheaper then the costs to acquire a customer through any more traditional way of marketing on the internet. I'm not saying it is a $2 fee what PayPal is going to charge, but it is going to be small.
    Hostigation.com - High Resource Hosting
    WHM/cPanel Servers for Hosting and Dedicated Needs
    SolusVM VPS Hosting - Big Features, Small Prices
    Like us on Facebook or follow @hostigation on Twitter

First, yes, you can sell services on eBay. People sell "I will paint a painting for you" and "I will design you a web site" etc.

I've seen a few listings where people sell a web site and in the terms of sale, it says it can only be hosted on a certain host. Who would ever buy such a thing, I don't know.

A more legitimate strategy is to sell a turnkey web site business and then say "it's presently hosted on SomeHost through the end of the month. If you want to continue it, they offer great service blah blah and it's only $9.95/month to continue." That is a legit offer since the buyer could move the site if he wishes.

Still...people buying sites on ebay are looking for get-rich-quick stuff.
    My advice and reviews of VPS providers based on my personal experience: VPSadvice.com

I agree with Noppix on this one. I personally, would never go to ebay to buy web hosting or servers.

The only reason I might sell, is because it would go to a larger audience, however, still I would not.

Just my opinion

I believe eBay doesn't accept any hosing listings on their marketplace. Its been a while they've recently banned those types of listings.. I'm not sure but this is what I know.

Arrow

Quote Originally Posted by StreamLogic View Post
    I believe eBay doesn't accept any hosing listings on their marketplace.
    They do accept it:

http://shop.ebay.com/i.html?_from=R4...All-Categories
    My advice and reviews of VPS providers based on my personal experience: VPSadvice.com