Give me a round number

Yo,

Looking an low end dedicated boxes from Joe's Datacenter...

Dual Processor Intel Xeon 3Ghz
    (Irwindale)

2GB Ram
    250GB Hard Drive
    2TB of Bandwidth
    5 Usable Ip's (/29)
    Server grade Hardware (Supermicro)
    Remote IPMI Options
    How many shared clients would you put on this box, assuming I add another HD and use RAID 1. I just need a round number, assume some clients will have dynamic content, others may not. It wil be using cPanel.

It all depends on how heavy their usage are but if you're talking about just normal sites and no database crazy clients, then I would say around 80 or so. It's not because of the processor or RAM that I am giving this number, it's because of the Bandwidth.

You'd have to be careful not to hit your Limit coz overages are charged very very heavily.
    Aaron Ong
    Dedicated Servers - 100TB Servers - 100Mbps Unmetered Servers - Web Hosting - CDN Network
    Servers in Central, East/West Coast USA, EUROPE and ASIA
    Welltodo Century
    - www.welltodocentury.com

Irwindale is a very old (6 years ago released) Xeon.
    Maybe look at a more modern server. Most VPS will outperform that old server.
    Swiftway.net Your Business deserves our Quality - Experts on Hand since 2005. Europe & US locations, we operate our own network AS35017
    Unbeatable dedicated bandwidth deals for Dedicated servers ! Support response time <15 minutes 24/7

Quote Originally Posted by swiftnoc View Post
    Irwindale is a very old (6 years ago released) Xeon.
    Maybe look at a more modern server. Most VPS will outperform that old server.
    Yes and no...if the cost is right, I'd rather 100% access to all resources on the server rather than a percentage of it. The only actual comparison to a VPS here is likely the storage, RAID would likely be present on a VPS however this box listed by the OP doesn't, and yes the CPU on a VPS node would likely be better however most providers limit your CPU access anyways.
    ElicitServers - Canadian hosting dedicated customer satisfaction! Shared/Reseller/VPS/Dedi/Colo
    100% redundant, 100% owned/maintained, GigE connectivity
    Offsite backups, 24/7 support (1-877-533-8993), 30-day money back | cPanel hosting

Quote Originally Posted by elicitservers View Post
    Yes and no...if the cost is right, I'd rather 100% access to all resources on the server rather than a percentage of it.
    Well, it depends on the VPS. But that server is really aged. It likely has either SATA (I) or more likely IDE drives and DDR1 memory. Not only the CPU's are relatively slow, the whole configuration will be pretty aged.
    And at that age, the chance of failures increases.
    Swiftway.net Your Business deserves our Quality - Experts on Hand since 2005. Europe & US locations, we operate our own network AS35017
    Unbeatable dedicated bandwidth deals for Dedicated servers ! Support response time <15 minutes 24/7

Quote Originally Posted by swiftnoc View Post
    Well, it depends on the VPS. But that server is really aged. It likely has either SATA (I) or more likely IDE drives and DDR1 memory. Not only the CPU's are relatively slow, the whole configuration will be pretty aged.
    And at that age, the chance of failures increases.
    +1, This specific CPU it's not even dual core. Just hyper threading.

Almost 6 years old hardware

Quote Originally Posted by Zach Nelson View Post
    Yo,

Looking an low end dedicated boxes from Joe's Datacenter...

How many shared clients would you put on this box, assuming I add another HD and use RAID 1. I just need a round number, assume some clients will have dynamic content, others may not. It wil be using cPanel.
    A round number would be none. That kind of Xeon just shouldn't be used anymore. Even a core2duo will run circles around it, while using 1/3 the electricity I might add.
    Phoenix Dedicated Servers -- IOFLOOD.com
    Email: sales [at] ioflood.com
    Backup Storage VPS -- 1TBVPS.com

Quote Originally Posted by funkywizard View Post
    A round number would be none. That kind of Xeon just shouldn't be used anymore. Even a core2duo will run circles around it, while using 1/3 the electricity I might add.
    I simply can't afford $200+ boxes to start out with. Can you provide a suggestion?

I simply can't afford $200+ boxes to start out with. Can you provide a suggestion?
    That's understandable, and why I compared the server to a core2duo. A core2duo is almost a throwaway box as well these days, and should be fairly cheap from any provider that still has them in stock, but at least it will have respectable performance compared to the xeon you're considering.

That's understandable, and why I compared the server to a core2duo. A core2duo is almost a throwaway box as well these days, and should be fairly cheap from any provider that still has them in stock, but at least it will have respectable performance compared to the xeon you're considering.
    Okay sweet! How about this server:

Core 2 Duo 2.9GHz
    2GB RAM
    2 x 320GB SATA II in Software Raid 1 (should I use hardware raid 1?)

Is this better?

Depends on your market - even the Xeon could host 1,000 sites. Same with the Core2Duo. If you want to offer high performance hosting, then you could be looking at 1/10th that. RAM is going to be your biggest issue, but that CAN be upgraded as you grow.

Okay sweet! How about this server:

Core 2 Duo 2.9GHz
    2GB RAM
    2 x 320GB SATA II in Software Raid 1 (should I use hardware raid 1?)

Is this better?
    I prefer software raid to hardware raid, though others will disagree with me there. In either case, if you're on a budget, h/w raid will eat up most of that budget, so I would skip it.

As others have said, the ram will need to be upgraded down the road, but should be fine for starting out. Overall, it's a good starter server to go with.

I prefer software raid to hardware raid, though others will disagree with me there. In either case, if you're on a budget, h/w raid will eat up most of that budget, so I would skip it.

As others have said, the ram will need to be upgraded down the road, but should be fine for starting out. Overall, it's a good starter server to go with.
    Alright great,

now realistically, I need to look at a management service for atleast my first box. Anything else I am skipping over?

Alright great,

now realistically, I need to look at a management service for atleast my first box. Anything else I am skipping over?
    For the box... any addons, like Ksplice, CloudLinux, CPAddons (i.e. rvskins, softaculous), and so on ...

For the business, that's a never ending battle!

Check out totalserversolutions.com for management. We work with their partner company colo@ and they've been great.

Quote Originally Posted by IGobyTerry View Post
    For the box... any addons, like Ksplice, CloudLinux, CPAddons (i.e. rvskins, softaculous), and so on ...

For the business, that's a never ending battle!

Check out totalserversolutions.com for management. We work with their partner company colo@ and they've been great.
    Thanks i'll definitely check them out. I totally forgot about ksplice