Type of security I would need

Hello.
    i would like to know what kind of security i would need for my website. I am planning to buy the basic plan from HG next month, do they provide in built security from hacking.
    Also would i need to buy SSL certificates. What other kind of "add ons" would i need in starting a new website
    Thanks

you should mention what cms u will use ? so that we can give you suggestion to secure your website
    Cheap OpenVPN Secure & VPN Proxy Bowser
    CHEAPSTATICVPN.COM

With Hostgator's basic plan your on a shared server that's managed by their tech people and they handle the majority of your security issues. Other than the SSL certificate you've already planned I really don't think you need to worry about security.

If you have concerns about security you should talk to Hostgator, I'm sure they will be able to put you at ease.
    www.websitemagick.com "Add a little Magick to your Website"
    IwebNews.net

As mentioned, HostGator will hopefully have secured their servers as best as the nest person so I wouldn't worry about that. However, it will be your responsibility to ensure that any software you install is kept up to date with the latest versions. Failure to keep software up to date could result in attackers gaining malicious access to your account and causing a whole lot of problems for you and your visitors...

If the software has an automatic update feature, turn it on. Also subscribe to their mailing lists and check for new versions at least a few times a week. The last thing you want is having your page defaced, spreading malware to your visitors, etc. It will be an extremely embarrassing event if that happens.
    Patrick William | RACK911 Labs | Software Security Auditing
    400+ Vulnerabilities Found - Quote @ https://www.RACK911Labs.com

www.HostingSecList.com - Security notices for the hosting community.

Quote Originally Posted by surg View Post
    Hello.
    i would like to know what kind of security i would need for my website. I am planning to buy the basic plan from HG next month, do they provide in built security from hacking.
    Also would i need to buy SSL certificates. What other kind of "add ons" would i need in starting a new website
    Thanks
    Most websites on shared servers don't need any additional security measures. That is assuming the website does not have a shopping cart for credit card transactions, or the need for secure log ins for members. If you can let us know what your intended use of the website is, we can be more specific.

On a shared account, the host will provide server security, including DDoS protection, a stable OS installation, etc. Most security breeches are through the software you will install and manage such as blogging software, forums, flash-enabled web pages, etc. Your responsibility for security on these installations is on-going; you will have to make sure you update that software regularly as vulnerabilities are exposed. One of the things to consider when choosing which programs to run is the ease of updating.

If you are looking at a VPS and not a shared account there are several other, much more technical issues involved in securing the server as well as the software.

I thing i will be using html and maybe wordpress. Do I need any add ons

Nope. Keep your WordPress installation up to date and you'll be OK!
    Patrick William | RACK911 Labs | Software Security Auditing
    400+ Vulnerabilities Found - Quote @ https://www.RACK911Labs.com

www.HostingSecList.com - Security notices for the hosting community.

Also don't download themes with obfuscated code then wonder why you've turned into a linkfarm overnight

You should definitely look into the security vulnerabilities that exist with wordpress. Here is a great article that well send you on your way (some of these are the responsibility of HG), however there are definitely many steps you can take to ensure your web hosting account or wordpress site are not compromised.

http://codex.wordpress.org/Hardening_WordPress
    Need Web Hosting? Click Here to Learn Why You Should Switch To FernGullyGraphics
    FernGullyGraphics --- 426 14th St. Suite #115 --- Modesto, California --- 95354

Need Business Cards? Click Here

Wordpress is a good choice; it is popular enough that vulnerabilities get reported right away, and the Wordpress core group is very responsive on getting updates out. Updating Wordpress is also very easy ... you simply click an "update" button in the admin panel when a new version comes out.

Start with a standard Wordpress installation. The things that get people in trouble with Wordpress are poorly written plugins and themes. Choose the plugins carefully, and make sure they are ones up to date and suitable for the most recent version of Wordpress. Themes can be a source of attack as well, so choosing a theme with an active developer who will update the theme periodically is almost as important.

One thing that only don't work well with Hostgator now is WP Robot's article module. That's only if you're gonna building an Autoblog using WP robot.

Thanks guys for the info. I dont understand all of it, but i will soon

great information

The security is not only server end concern but also the website itself. the hostgator server is secured with no doubt.