Thread: Domain transfer

Domain transfer

Currently I manage my Mom and Dad's website and they bought hosting and a domain from another hosting provider less than a year ago. I now bought reseller hosting and would like to take over the hosting and the domain.

I know how to do the hosting part but I'm not sure how to go about switching it so they don't renew through the other host and renew through me.

I'm quite sure of the term. Would it be considered a domain transfer?

Hostgator told me in order to do this I would need the enom reseller account, but I don't want to pay $100 just so I can switch their domain to me.

I would really appreciate it if someone can shed some light on this for me.

Go to enomcentral.com and register an account. You don't need a reseller account. Lots of hosts on here have enom reseller accounts as well.

<<snipped>>
    Last edited by bear; 05-14-2011 at 09:06 PM.
    Common sense is not so common.

I have an account with enom because I bought the reseller package from hostgator.

So I don't need a reseller account in order to transfer the domain to me instead of the other host?

I appreciate the swift response!

Is what I'm referring to called domain transfer? I heard something about domain pushing but I'm not sure if that's right either.

If you have an Enom account and so do they, it can be pushed from one to the other at no cost. This generally needs the current person to push to you, so you need their cooperation.
    Having problems, or maybe questions about WHT? Head over to the help desk!

The site is currently hosted and while signing up for hosting package bought the domain through justhost. This means they don't have an enom account.

This is for my parents so I have their cooperation.

Hostgator gives reseller free enom reseller accounts. IIRC.

<<snipped>>
    Last edited by bear; 05-14-2011 at 09:35 PM.

I didn't think you were trying to solicit me no worries .

So in order to do the switch I would login to my enom account that I have, keep in mind I didn't pay the $100 for the account upgrade.

Not sure what to do after that.

Again thank you for helping me!

You can transfer the domain to into your regular Enom account. It will cost about the same as a renewal and adds an additional year to the domain.

You only need an Enom reseller account if your trading domains to the public.
    I could tell you a joke about UDP. But I'm not sure you would get it!

It will be better if you ask for help to enom because they are having your account access and they can guide you accordingly.

Quote Originally Posted by viziality View Post
    I didn't think you were trying to solicit me no worries .

So in order to do the switch I would login to my enom account that I have, keep in mind I didn't pay the $100 for the account upgrade.

Not sure what to do after that.

Again thank you for helping me!

Just tell the current enom reseller your enom user name. That's all they need to push the domain.

So all I need is one enom account my parents don't have to also have an enom account in order for the domain to get transferred to me?

That's correct. You can transfer the domain to any Enom account.

If you're going to be looking after the domain for them then it makes sense to use your own.
    I could tell you a joke about UDP. But I'm not sure you would get it!

Yes that's exactly it. I look after it for them.

I'm not sure how to go about getting it transferred to my enom account though. Do I have to do something within the enom portal or do i have to talk to the old host?

Well let's gets the terminology cleared first to make it simple for you to understand how these things work.

Domain Transfer: This is done from one registrar to another, so let's say domain was with registrar "A" and you now want it to take over to registrar "B", you need to transfer domain, to transfer, domain should be unlocked and you must have EPP code, there are few other caveats too but in most cases they do not affect much. For domain transfer, gaining registrar will ask you to pay for one year of registration that will extend the expiry date by one year, so in effect domain transfer is free.

Domain Push: When your domain is with a registrar in account "A" and you want to take it over to account "B" within same registrar, you push the domain from account A to account B. Here nothing has to be paid and expiry date will remain same. But with most registrars domain must be in unlock state.

Since your domain is with Enom and your own account is with Enom too, hence you just need the domain to be pushed to your account, if you have access to the Enom account where domain is currently sitting you can push it yourself to your other Enom account.

Hope this clears some doubts regarding how to go ahead with it.
    Vinsar.Net - Quality Web Hosting at Economical Price on USA & European Servers
    Offering domains, shared, reseller & VPS hosting.
    Reliable Domain Reseller Account Resell Domains with Confidence

Well the domain currently isn't registered through enom because it was bought while signing up for webhosting with justhost. I want to move it from there to me.

Justhost books domain through Enom only, they are reseller of Enom, so the domain is within Enom.

Check your domain's registrar at http://www.internic.com/whois.html and if it shows Registrar as Enom, you just need to push the domain to your account, or ask justhost support to do that for you.

Also check the domain ownership at http://www.domaintools.com if it is not in the name of your parents, you may face hurdles getting it moved to your account.

Yes enom is listed as the registrar but the domain has whois privacy...

Do you have access to domain's current account?

I have the login details for cpanel as I signed up for them and built their site.

I'm not quite sure I understand your questions completely.

No not the cPanel login, I am asking about the domain registration panel, it could be there in their billing system, or may be a link from there that takes you to the enom account.

You have to explore all the login areas that you have with them (Justhost).

BTW have you talked to justhost support for domain push/move?

I'll take a look around in their different portals.

No I haven't, I was afraid they would try to keep it and not let me transfer...

I just logged in to my other account that is hosted with justhost and it has a password listed under domain management is that the code to transfer?

That code is needed when you transfer the domain to another registrar, here you want to simply move the domain to your Enom account, so that code is not required as the current registrar is Enom itself.

See what other controls they have given you in that control panel, see if you ca remove WHOIS privacy and ascertain that the domain is owned by your parents and not by justhost.

If you want to do it yourself, you must have absolute/complete access to the domain management area, from where you can remove WHOIS privacy, remove domain lock, can obtain EPP code and can move domain to another Enom account.

Alright thanks for your help. I think I'll be trying to do the transfer later today.

Would this be an appropriate thread to ask about domains in whmcs or should I create a new thread? I'm wondering about the check boxes next to domain pricing.

For WHMCS better open a new thread at http://www.webhostingtalk.com/forumdisplay.php?f=9

Domain and hosting is a different thing. let your previous provider know you want to transfer it out and get the EPP code, unlock your domain, then let your new provider know that you want to switch over and they'll do the rest.
    http://********.com.my
    Malaysia Number 1 hosting company

I have successfully transferred my first domain as of couple days ago. It was a good feeling. I'm happy it was my parents domain and not someone else as I was learning.

I learned a lot from the experience!

Thank you everyone who contributed to this thread!

Congratulations, it would be nice if you can write a step by step process of moving domain away from justhost that you took. It will be of help to other people facing similar situation.

true true, maybe u could share with us on the simple step.
    http://********.com.my
    Malaysia Number 1 hosting company