Hybrid View

Host Reco for New Vbulletin Forum?

Hi All! Looking for a host reco for a new vBulletin forum. My primary needs are:

1. Tech Support. I'm a total NooB at the moment so quality assistance with installation, mods, etc. would be greatly appreciated. I have no qualms paying a premium on hosting for a provider that can function, at least in part, as my IT expert and help me rapidly run up the learning curve.

2. Scalability. The forum is new so I'm leaning towards a shared server; however, it'd be nice to be with a host that the forum can seamlessly grow with over time as needed (e.g., VPS and beyond). I'm anticipating 10-20 concurrent users in beta and 50-75 users 8 months after launch.

3. Low Cost. This project is out of pocket so watching the bottom line is important. Glad to pay extra for quality support (see Point #1) if it can help me get my site running faster and easier. Currently thinking of a hosting budget in the range of $15-25 per month.

Having reviewed the forums, many members on this site give high praise to urljet, hostgator, globalgold and servint. (I recognize that at least one of these hosts doesn't offer a shared hosting plan.)

So, who should I use for quality vBulletin hosting?

Very much appreciate your thoughts and letting me tap the community brain trust
    Last edited by 4play; 05-14-2011 at 04:02 PM.

If you're looking for that level of support, you will probably not find it at the large hosting providers.

The mid-size companies will probably have the time to give you the level of support you are asking for.

Basic vBulletin installation and setup will often be done as a courtesy to you by the good hosting companies. vBulletin Mod installation will almost always incur extra cost.

Easy scalability will probably be best found in clustered or cloud hosting.

Low cost may be an issue. The clustered hosting companies like imountain and Cartika are expensive compared to standard shared hosting. The cloud hosting companies tend to be of the larger variety.

Low cost will be a difficult proposition while serving your other needs.
    KiloServe Hosting - 48 Core Nodes and specializing in high disk I/O VPS
    www.KiloServe.com Providing Quality Hosting since 2007
    Specializing in Dedicated Servers, OpenVZ VPS, Xen VPS, and Windows VPS.

Thank you, KiloServe, glad to waive the "low cost" criteria for a host that can help me get the site up faster and easier. I've read in the forums that some hosts, like urljet, provide above-average support?

You'll need to hire a developer for #1.
    That's outside the services that a host should be expected to provide.

Sort of like expecting a butcher to also cook your steak.

From your list, I would only consider ServInt.
    || Need a good host?
    || See my Suggested Hosts List || Editorial: EIG/Site5/Arvixe/Hostgator Alternatives
    ||

Let me clarify, KPmedia. I'm comfortable with all types of DIY but could certainly benefit from a host provider with robust and competent technical support.

As I'm building a forum from the ground up, I'm leaning towards a host like urljet, hostgator or globalgold. Could run with servint, but get the sense that their VPS might be overkill for the early stage of a new forum?

Forums require more resources, even with moderate use, than most shared plans will allow. You're safer to use a decent VPS, in order to avoid CPU, RAM, or MySQL connection issues long-term.

Don't get one of those "unlimited space" type hosts. You'll be sorry.
    Again, from that list, ServInt.
    I suggest/review others hosts, in my past posts and elsewhere.
    || Need a good host?
    || See my Suggested Hosts List || Editorial: EIG/Site5/Arvixe/Hostgator Alternatives
    ||

Shared Hosting - MDDHosting! If you decide to go straight for a VPS then KnownHost.

Both of those will give you the quality of hosting and level of support that you need.