Question pre-packaged solution for sync wordpress blogs?

Hello,

Just curious if there is any pre-pacakged solution available to sync 2 wordpress blogs on different VPS, I have root access to both. What I hope to achive is that my reader could go to either VPS1 or VPS2, make comments/update posts and the results will show up in the other VPS almost immediately (some delay is OK since I do not plan to update 1000 posts a day).

And by pre-pacakged, I meant something that is not as tedious to set up as rsync + master-master replication in mySQL. But more like an easy solution that is suitable for a newbie like me.

By the way, I am using Ubuntu and both VPS have similar specs, if that helps.

Thanks!

I don't think there is a ready made solution. However, you could probably achieve this by having both Wordpress installations sharing certain tables and rows in one MySQL database. It wouldn't be too difficult for a base Wordpress install. However, adding any plugins would be a pain I'd assume. Updates might also cause some headache.

You may have to hire out for this.

Mmm...I thought about sharing the DB, however I guess if I put the MySQL in UK, then US visitors will be hurt in terms of loading time and vice-versa, that is why I was hoping to have both DB and front-end to sit on the same server...
    Looks like I will have to explore rSync then, thanks a lot for the answer.

Quote Originally Posted by 96mb View Post
    Hello,

Just curious if there is any pre-pacakged solution available to sync 2 wordpress blogs on different VPS, I have root access to both. What I hope to achive is that my reader could go to either VPS1 or VPS2, make comments/update posts and the results will show up in the other VPS almost immediately (some delay is OK since I do not plan to update 1000 posts a day).

And by pre-pacakged, I meant something that is not as tedious to set up as rsync + master-master replication in mySQL. But more like an easy solution that is suitable for a newbie like me.

By the way, I am using Ubuntu and both VPS have similar specs, if that helps.

Thanks!
    The easy way is Rsync the web/ftp folder for the WP install and then share the Database.

There is some latency in using a remote mySQL DB but that should be outweighed by use of mySQL DB Caching provided by many of the cache plugins like W3 Total Cache.

RSync is VERY easy to implement; it sounds complicated but any VPS provider should be able to help you setup the RSYNC cronjob to replicate the two servers if you aren't comfortable with RSync.

Your Master-Master mySQL cluster is also doable but as you said it is a bit more complicated.

if you want better performance in geographically dispersed VM nodes, then just research it a bit and give it a few tries. It's a bit more complicated but really only requires the use of bin logging on both servers and synchronization at startup.
    Last edited by KiloServe; 05-14-2011 at 03:10 PM.
    KiloServe Hosting - 48 Core Nodes and specializing in high disk I/O VPS
    www.KiloServe.com Providing Quality Hosting since 2007
    Specializing in Dedicated Servers, OpenVZ VPS, Xen VPS, and Windows VPS.

@kiloserve: may be I am really silly/ignorant but I screwed up the master-master replication on mySQL (even before I got to rSync!), so I was sort of scared to move forward...
    But since that is the only solution, I guess I gotta stop being a chicken and do some serious learning on rSync!