Rams work both on E5620 and Sandybridge?

Hi

we need to buy Dual E5602 system now, but as Dual CPU 's sandybridge is coming this fall, we want to make sure rams are future proof

is this ram working both on E5620 and Sandybridge system?

Kingston ValueRAM 4GB 240-Pin DDR3 SDRAM ECC Unbuffered DDR3 1333 Server Memory Model KVR1333D3E9S/4G

I know Sandybridge work on ECC unbuffered ram only, and this seems the only unbuffered 4G stick that Kingston has

thanks~

the 5620 can use ecc unbuffered, but there is a limit to how much of this ram you can install, so you'll want to check the motherboard specs for that. I *think* it's something like 24gb of unbuffered ECC as the usual limit there.
    Phoenix Dedicated Servers -- IOFLOOD.com
    Email: sales [at] ioflood.com
    Backup Storage VPS -- 1TBVPS.com

yea, we might use supermicro X8DTL-iF
    http://www.supermicro.com/products/m...0/X8DTL-iF.cfm

limits at 24G, but should be fine for us

However, whether same Kingston work on supermicro sandybridge's mobo though?

it will work but with some limitations.
    Quote Originally Posted by PeterPP View Post
    Hi

we need to buy Dual E5602 system now, but as Dual CPU 's sandybridge is coming this fall, we want to make sure rams are future proof

Kingston ValueRAM 4GB 240-Pin DDR3 SDRAM ECC Unbuffered DDR3 1333 Server Memory Model KVR1333D3E9S/4G

I know Sandybridge work on ECC unbuffered ram only, and this seems the only unbuffered 4G stick that Kingston has

thanks~

Hi

thanks~
    Dual CPU sandybridge system will work with ecc reg. I am 99% sure. There are some limitations with amount of unbuffered memory. I don't think that SMC will have their most popular product(Dual CPU m/b) with 24Gb limit. I will email their PM to get 100% right answer.

Was talking with them. ECC UDIMM will be supported by E5 in low amounts of memory

em...if ECC/REG is supported for DP sandybridge, what model of Kingston could be used then

dislike this ambiguous period of transition ;p

I can answer you as soon as I will get first samples for testing. It seems to happen not earlier than in august...

em...if ECC/REG is supported for DP sandybridge, what model of Kingston could be used then

dislike this ambiguous period of transition ;p
    I would guess, since the sandybridge E3 xeons are the sucessor to the lynfield xeons, probably the same memory you would use in x3450 etc would work.

The same way I'd assume the E5520 and E5620 share the same memory spec.
    RAM Host -- Premium & Budget Linux Hosting From The USA & EU
    █ Featuring Powerful cPanel CloudLinux Shared Hosting
    █ & Cheap Premium Virtual Dedicated Servers
    Follow us on Twitter

Quote Originally Posted by ramnet View Post
    I would guess, since the sandybridge E3 xeons are the sucessor to the lynfield xeons, probably the same memory you would use in x3450 etc would work.
    The E3s require ECC Unbuffered memory, whereas the X3400s require ECC Reg.

I wish Intel would have been a little more forgiving with their sockets and memory choices between their processors. They created a whole new 1155 socket to release the SB, rather than just re-using the 1156 socket.
    Daniel | Server Complete, LLC
    Windows VPS // Dedicated Servers // Backup Services
    Wholly owned hardware and self operated network (AS19531) in Jacksonville, FL

this is one of the major advantages amd has they dont change sockets every year.

Quote Originally Posted by SC-Daniel View Post

I wish Intel would have been a little more forgiving with their sockets and memory choices between their processors. They created a whole new 1155 socket to release the SB, rather than just re-using the 1156 socket.

the x3400 can use ecc unbuffered up to 16gb I believe, not sure about 24 / 32gb on those.

Quote Originally Posted by funkywizard View Post
    the x3400 can use ecc unbuffered up to 16gb I believe, not sure about 24 / 32gb on those.
    I think the limit is 8GB on the X3400 with unbuffered.
    Daniel | Server Complete, LLC
    Windows VPS // Dedicated Servers // Backup Services
    Wholly owned hardware and self operated network (AS19531) in Jacksonville, FL

I think the limit is 8GB on the X3400 with unbuffered.
    It's definitely at least 16gb as we're using a number of servers with x3440 and 16gb unbuffered ecc