Thread: New to hosting.

New to hosting.

I am brand new to hosting. I do websites for individuals and small companies. I had an opportunity brought to me. One of my customers told me that he would pay for a hosting reseller account if I did his website. Anyway, Hostica was his choice and purchased it. I have no way of knowing how to even set up the thing, and their support is like nil. Does anyone have experience with them that might be able to answer a few questions I have?

Thanks for any help.

that would depend on what control panel they are using

Control Panel?? H-sphere 3.4. Is that what you are asking?

Before I go reading all that, could you explain one thing. Signing up for a reseller account, do you have to have a host website to link the reseller account too?

Quote Originally Posted by fcleveland View Post
    Before I go reading all that, could you explain one thing. Signing up for a reseller account, do you have to have a host website to link the reseller account too?
    HSphere usually asks for a domain name when signing up.

However, you don't "have" to have a domain name. If you are just building sites for other people and charging them, you don't need your own domain.
    KiloServe Hosting - 48 Core Nodes and specializing in high disk I/O VPS
    www.KiloServe.com Providing Quality Hosting since 2007
    Specializing in Dedicated Servers, OpenVZ VPS, Xen VPS, and Windows VPS.

Thank ya'll for the information that ya'll provided and not making be feel like I am a total idiot. Much appreciated.

Question on step one DNS servers. The DNS servers have to be registered. What I am getting out of that is that you have to purchase a dns name? I didn't think you would have to have a DNS, thought it was part of the reseller account. Any clarification would be great?

all domain need to be registered on domain host, then you can set-up the dns of your web-host to connect on your domain host so that website will appear.

Ok, I may not be explaining this right. I bought a Domain a while back. Now I have this reseller account through hostica. My domain is just a domain no hosting or anything. I have to change the domain to the hostica servers right? Or do I leave them pointed to the registrar and put that registrar's Name Server in the hostica DNS information.

You should change the domain to the hostica servers as it is your reseller account. You can do it by changing DNS setting in domain registrar account.

Thanks for the info. I will rechange it. I did it once, which it didn't show up at hostica. Must be a setting I am missing. I am rethinking the free reseller thing.

looking at the domain, it is pointing at hostica already. I must of left it. I am still can't see it working. The domain is at a parked page on the registrar's site. Any ideas??

You will have to create hosting account under your reseller account, and will have to point name-servers to your hostica's server at your domain registrar end.

You may just have to wait a little while. when you change your DNS with you current registrar to hostica's DNS it takes about 24 hrs to propagate.
    www.websitemagick.com "Add a little Magick to your Website"
    IwebNews.net

When I try to make a hosting account I get this message:
    Unfortunately your Company Info has not been entered completely/correctly. This may cause some problems with domain registration. Please check and correct data on the Company Info page (Look And Feel menu).
    In the look and feel menu, you can change the control panel is displayed

Yep, that sounds good. I have another hour before 30 hours have past since I changed the nameservers. I know sometimes it takes longer. Just wanted to make sure I wasn't missing something. Thanks for the input everyone.

Nameserver changes can take up to 72hrs to process

Generally I have noticed these process a lot quicker, but if a domain has not processed within this time it usually means you have done something wrong, or something has gone wrong.
    l Dedigeeks Shared Wordpress Dedicated Established 2006
    l Leading AUSTRALIAN Hosting Provider Sydney & Melbourne Datacentres
    l cPanel/WHM R1Soft Backups 24/7/365 Support SMS Hosting Alerts*
    l www.dedigeeks.com Managing Director Service Superstars

I really appreciate the information. I understand the time it takes to set everything up. Today makes the 3rd day of trying to get this thing up. I am very new to this and wouldn't even be here if I wasn't giving the opportunity to start a reseller account. I have no problem with setting up webpages or anything. Going through their getting started guide I am getting lost on the DNS information. I have my domain pointed to Hostica and has been for almost 2 full days. I still get the error that I posted earlier. I don't know where to even get started on fixing the issue, the support from hostica is like none existent. I have search the forums and watch a ton of tutorial and read through the documentation on their site and I am just as lost now as I was when this mess started. Maybe I should just cancel the customer's job and let him know that I am unable to figure this out.